Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Folding prams

(38 Posts)
Woody Fri 03-Jun-11 14:56:34

Have just joined gransnet and have been reading the section "being a gran" and came across the section on prams and how/or not to fold them up. I thought I was the only gran who has never mastered this art! Prams were never so complicated years ago! My grandchildren are 8 and 4 and I never did master the art of getting the pram into the boot, now another grandchild is expected in October(other daughter) and when they were talking about prams all I asked was that it was one that folded up without having to take a degree in logistics beforehand!

Elegran Wed 22-Jun-11 15:01:24

janthea - I too had a seat on the Silver Cross pram for daughter number one to sit on while newborn daughter number two was tucked in under the covers. One day I was standing gazing dreamily into a shop window with one hand lightly on the handle when Dno1 decided to lean forward and get off. She put all her weight on the pram handle, the pram tipped down, and Dno2 shot even further under the covers and rain apron to vanish completely from sight. She was fished out quite unharmed, but my nerves took a while to recover.

Another time, I had bought a lot of shopping and stored it behind Dno2 and the fold-up seat back, in the body of the pram. On the way home, I noticed her waving a very wet (I thought) foot in the air. Got home to unpack and discovered that a bottle of vegetable oil had leaked over everything, baby, covers, shopping, the lot.

janthea Thu 23-Jun-11 14:09:17

harrigran I loved the smell of Johnsons Baby Powder, but my daughters never use it. They do use the other products from Johnson though. And I put on the baby oil after I step out of the shower! Keeps my skin 'baby soft' confused

I really must get yet another lesson on the mysterious art of buggy mechanics!

pinkprincess Fri 24-Jun-11 00:29:59

I had a Marmet for my two sons, lovely floral canopy as well, and a pram seat for the older one.
My grandchildren had those horrible stiff travel systems.I could never fold them either.I got, and still have, a refurbished 1960s Wilson coach built pram for youngest GC eight years ago.It has never used by her parents as was impossible to go in the car.But DGD and I loved it and got loads of use. Now it awaits my future great grand children hoping I am still around to see them.
I dont like these modern things that pass for prams.Ugly and uncomfortable looking all of them.

supernana Fri 24-Jun-11 14:05:29

pinkprincess I think that the Marmet pram was one of the top contenders for first prize in grand design. It was a magnificent pram to push [well sprung] and, yes, there was a well in the centre into which an older child would place his feet. I had a white broderie anglaise canopy lined in green. Wilson also made superb prams. I walked for miles with my children in the pram. It was a daily treat! smile

pinkprincess Fri 24-Jun-11 21:07:48

Thankyou supernana I ended up having to give away my lovely Marmet to someone who had very little money.I often wonder if it was well looked after.
My Wilson has a footwell and lovely upholstered lining.I managed to get a cream canopy from e-bay, and cant wait to see her being used again.

supernana Sat 25-Jun-11 12:28:38

pinkprincess As you say, such prams deserve to be used and cherished.

jackyann Sat 25-Jun-11 13:03:53

Back to prams - I always used a sling and then a back-pack for my kids - better than prams, easier to manage & leave your hands free. Great for promoting kids' social development as well.
I've asked to do the same as a nan (my cousin also does this)

pinkprincess Sat 25-Jun-11 19:45:57

Thankyou supernana, you cant keep these modern prams as they hardly seem to last one baby.I know of people who have had half a dozen per child!.

harrigran Sat 25-Jun-11 20:21:23

My two have had at least three, each one needed for different types of terrain or portablity.

em Sat 25-Jun-11 20:37:06

Silver Cross are still producing their famous coach-built models but their newer models are excellent. Super suspension, folding chassis, detachable but very sustantial carry cot which allows a young baby to lie flat and an older one to sit up as the front drops down to make a footrest. Baby faces mum/gran so interesting conversations can go on - not possible with the usual buggy style. A lovely part of the package was the wooden rocking base and the pretty ivory drapes which converted it to a crib. Has cradled two babies and will shortly be stored for future use (quite some time in the future, I hope).

Jenjax Tue 28-Jun-11 12:41:05

Most embarrasing moment when out for a walk with GS, he went to sleep sitting bolt upright looking most uncomfortable with head lolling about and after about 5 minutes of struggling, we had to ask passing strangers with same model of push chair to show us how to lay him back.

apricot Sun 03-Jul-11 20:10:19

Jenjax, I had exactly the same experience with daughter's Buggaboo - IMPOSSIBLE to adjust in any way without the manual.
Design now is all about appearance and practicality is ignored. Same with children' clothes.