Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Help lunch box ideas

(8 Posts)
bubble Fri 01-Jul-11 20:30:21

My grandson is 12, his MUM packs him sandwiches an apple and a chocolate biscuit in his lunch box, he has just told me his Grannie he throws away the bread, therefore not having a good lunch, they all stand up outside to eat packed lunches as they get teased in the dining room for not having school diners, which he does not want, salads, pasta etc is not suitable as he wants to just pick it up with his hands and eat, HELP PLEASE any ideas he does not like bread.

emmasnan Fri 01-Jul-11 20:58:54

Would he eat Pitta bread or Wraps instead?

jangly Fri 01-Jul-11 21:12:33

Why does he only want to pick food up with his hands and eat. What has he got against cutlery?
I would just tell his mum if I was you. Let her sort it out.

HildaW Sat 02-Jul-11 17:22:03

I would ensure there was lunch box suitable stuff in the fridge.....ham, cheese, fruit, etc and rolls and packets of crisps etc. BUT by the time they were in their last yr of junior school my children made their own lunch boxes.....it started with a few moans about the contents being boring so I asked if they would like to make their own.....and they said they would. I often did a tray bake of things like flap jacks or brownies so they could have something sweet or there were choc biscuits (making sure I bought those I did not like too much). However, once they reach the age at secondary school when they are allowed out at lunch times, they have gone right off lunch boxes and will buy what they fancy. If they have not developed a bit of common sense about what they eat by then...then its usually chips from the chip shop!

absentgrana Mon 04-Jul-11 15:41:36

How about things on little wooden skewers, sausage rolls (preferably home-made), ditto pasties or savoury scones. Eating outside standing up strikes me as completely wrong. Perhaps asking mum to have a word with the school might be a good idea. Teasing in the dining room – can't afford school lunches???? – is a form of bullying.

susiecb Tue 05-Jul-11 08:26:48

We have taken to eating flatbreads which are nice for children as they are healthy, can be used to dip in things or spread with things. they come in several flavours and can be found by the crispbreads in the supermarket M & S have some nice pumpkin seed ones.

harrigran Tue 05-Jul-11 18:04:27

M & S flatbreads are really yummy, I like the cheddar cheese and walnut. I have mine with tuna pate or goats cheese and some celery sticks.

Annobel Tue 05-Jul-11 18:52:55

I used to pack chicken drumsticks for mine, many years ago. I'd roast a batch and freeze them. By lunchtime, they would have defrosted. I have since been told that they used to trade them for whatever other children's mums had packed! wink