Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What lessons in life to help your grandchildrens in today's troubled world?

(16 Posts)
dizzyblonde Sat 24-Sep-11 06:21:39

Treat other people as you would like to be treated yourself. Haven't got GC's yet but my children tell me they remember me 'banging on about it' as they say.

olliesgran Fri 23-Sep-11 12:42:48

Be true to yourself, don't follow the crowd. Take disappointments in your stride, they are part of life, build on the positive. Look at what you've got, not always at what you haven't got. Do everything you can to have a job/career that you like.

Joan Fri 23-Sep-11 11:32:26

Choose a career in doing what you love, instead of just chasing the money, because here (in Australia) every job pays enough to live happily on.

Enjoy life. Be good to your friends and family.

Cassiopeia Fri 23-Sep-11 10:57:39

Be brave, resiliant, inventive and open to change

BurgundyGran Mon 19-Sep-11 16:00:30

I tell my grandchildren that today you have to have a good education gone are the days you can leave a job today and start another tomorrow. No one else can do it for you so get your head down and work hard.

Show respect and you will earn respect.

Take responsibility for your actions, no one makes you do anything it is a concious decision.

Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves (or euros as it is for us!) Don't spend your money on rubbish, save hard and buy what you want or need, don't run up debts it will lead to trouble.

maxgran Mon 19-Sep-11 15:26:07

Be mindful of all your actions and intentions. Follow your instincts and do what fulfils you and not follow the expectations of others.

Jangran Sun 18-Sep-11 15:20:50

How about a bit of appreciation of the wonders of just being alive? Being alive, human and in the western hemisphere - it doesn't get much better than that!

jackyann Sat 17-Sep-11 16:33:56

think independently & count your blessings

supernana Sat 17-Sep-11 12:22:02

Understand that you are capable of making a difference - be brave and let it be for the better. Empathise with people. Be tolerant and compassionate and patient and generous of spirit. Life isn't always fair. Sometimes you'll feel disappointed and despondent. Be true to yourself and try to achieve your full potential.

Annobel Sat 17-Sep-11 11:44:32

Appreciate your educational opportunities and learn at least one other language. Learn to listen.

absentgrana Sat 17-Sep-11 11:34:08

Back to my old favourites that I think I mentioned on an earlier strand – remember Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby and Mrs Beingdonebyasyoudid and act accordingly.

GoldenGran Sat 17-Sep-11 10:59:01

Kindness, manners, sense of humour , an interest in other people, unselfishness, and self-confidence.

glammanana Sat 17-Sep-11 10:56:35

Good manner's,polite and considerate to other's,never think you are better than anyone else what ever their job entail's and to remember that every job is noble.

Granny23 Sat 17-Sep-11 10:22:05

'To thine own self be true.' Any other road will cause stress, envy, failure in your own eyes, low self esteem.

susiecb Sat 17-Sep-11 10:10:44

Get a career and a good one and pay into a decent pensionsmile failing that marry moneysmile

ninnynanny Sat 17-Sep-11 08:53:42

I would try to teach my grandchildren to be kind and show compassion to others less fortunate. Be kind to animals. Try to be happy and content with life.