Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandma when I grow up I'm going to be a...............

(20 Posts)
gillybob Fri 07-Oct-11 12:38:56

My 5 year old grandaughter is a beautiful, intelligent little person who's full of big ideas . She loves animals and I guess will do well at school although it's early days. When I asked what she would like to be when she grows up she informed me that she would like to be a doctor on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday a vet on a Friday and Saturday and a show-jumper on a Sunday. Wow I said you are going to be sooooooo busy. I asked my (pretty, funny, bubbly and very silly) 3 year grandaughter the same question she thought about it for a few moments and said "I think when I grow up I will be a hamster all week long". Priceless . grin

Baggy Fri 07-Oct-11 12:57:01

grin

glammanana Fri 07-Oct-11 13:27:38

Luke who is 8yr's and a very innocent 8 at that would like to be a bin-man as they finish work early on Friday's.DH informed him that they finish work early nearly every other day as well ?

susiecb Fri 07-Oct-11 14:19:09

MY GS wanted to be a scientist like his Daddy when he was five but now he is 7 and more discerning (scientists dont earn much in the NHS) he wants to be a filmaker but not sure if he wants to be a camerman or an actor. As he is gorgeous I said actor. Recently he has discovered cricket and he is a mean fast bowler. As his great grandpa was an England and Warwickshire cricketer we have great hopessmile

NannysCrazyCreatures Fri 07-Oct-11 17:15:41

My 5 year old granddaughter is going to be a butterfly confused

GrannyTunnocks Fri 07-Oct-11 20:36:12

My 9 year old granddaughter informed her Mum she wants to a nobody like her Mum when she grows up. Her Mum is a stay at home Mum.

em Fri 07-Oct-11 21:34:00

We haven't yet reached the stage of 'when I grow up' but GD has realised that there are all sorts of things he'll be able to do when he's ' a wee bit bigger'. Reading is one, along with going on a plane and driving a fire engine! Lovely to see his horizons widening!

harrigran Sat 08-Oct-11 00:20:57

My 6 year old granddaughter is going to be a princess when she grows up and I think she believes it will happen.

Granny23 Sat 08-Oct-11 02:32:00

4yo DGS wants to be a RETIRED joiner like Granpal because then he can have lots of tools and a big van and fix things when they need fixing but not have to work very often and be free to go to playgroup on a Friday afternoon.

grannyactivist Sat 08-Oct-11 23:30:03

As a little boy, my oldest son, who is now studying for a Masters degree in mathematics, decided that when he grew up he would like to be - a carrot! confused

Faye Sun 09-Oct-11 00:18:17

My youngest daughter wanted to be a duck and float on a pond and have a million ears, just like her older brother and sister (they wanted to be millionaires). smile

Baggy Sun 09-Oct-11 06:44:37

My youngest daughter wants to be a duck, too. DD2 wanted to be a clown. She's now quite a serious young woman with a 'socially helpful' job. Same idea, really, I suppose.

gillybob Mon 10-Oct-11 11:19:24

Oh the joys of grandchildren and the innocence of childhood. I wonder how many children actually achieve their childhood dreams of becoming doctors, train drivers and clowns?

When I asked my GD why she would want to be a hamster she said that they are cute and cuddly and she liked the plastic balls that they play in..... reason enough I think. smile

nannym Tue 11-Oct-11 19:08:18

My 5 year old GD says that when she grows up she wants to be " A Nanny because they don't work and just play all day"!!!

riclorian Wed 12-Oct-11 11:32:51

Can anyone answer my 3 yr old grandaughter's question - 'How do bees sit down ?' - this one has me flummuxed !!!!

bagitha Wed 12-Oct-11 12:14:33

Tell her they never do. (I made that up). They have six legs to stand on so they probably don't need to sit down. I've seen them roll over though, especially when they're hungry.

Alternatively, tell her they just lower their whole thorax and abdomen on the 'ground' when they need to rest their legs. I made that up too. Take your pick. wink

I did google the question but their was NOTHING about bees sitting down and there's nothing in my bee books either.

numberplease Wed 12-Oct-11 17:17:31

A little boy I was babysitting many years ago wanted to know how spiders did a poo!

harrigran Wed 12-Oct-11 21:51:06

I think the answer to GD's question riclorian is very carefully grin

bagitha Thu 13-Oct-11 05:14:14

Very satisfactory answer, harri, and one the child would probanby be happy with. Reminds me of when DD1 asked why a certain street light was still on. i tried to explain but she wasn't happy with my reply and kept asking. I kept giving unsatisfactory answers. Then, twenty years later, DD3 asked the same question and I said: Because the street light fairies missed their usual train so they're late. Perfectly satisfactory answer! Why didn't I think of that before???

Jangran Sun 16-Oct-11 16:39:48

Conversation with three grandchildren about their future plans:

No 1 (boy aged 7): I want to be a paleontologist
No 2 (girl aged 5): I want to be a vet
No 3 (younger boy, aged 4): I want to be a banker.

Shocked silence, then:

Me: "oh, no - do you mean that? It's all about money, though. Isn't love more important than money?

No 1: I think love is more important
No 2: I think love is more important as well
No 3: I think love is more important (pause) I meant money is more important really!

Shocked silence, then:

No 3: That surprised you, didn't it?

It was the timing that got me. I think he is going to be a comedian, really.