Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Is that bag packed?

(65 Posts)
gracesmum Fri 21-Oct-11 15:55:14

I am delighted to be chosen as "Plan A" when GS no. 2 arrives - due in 3 weeks. His big brother is just 18 months and DD and SIL live about 75 miles away so 1 1/2 - 2 hours min on the motorway. However, I am now getting nervous! I have my bag packed (apart from sponge bag) and while I expect it will not be all bells and whistles in the middle of the night - well, it could be! Can I risk having a glass of wine in the evening? There is a sort of Plan B if I can't quite get there in time or if it is literally middle of the night and a friend nearby will take GS until I can get there - but oh I wish we lived nearer. Must I really put my life on hold for the whole of November?It's like being prepared for the Second Coming - scary!

grandmaagain Tue 15-Nov-11 18:00:51

faye and gracesmum thanks wine

bama2U Tue 15-Nov-11 16:31:26

Oops I posted before saying thank you to all gransnetters for their congratulations - thank you all. I am so pleased I found Gransnet you are all so kind and warm hearted.

bama2U Tue 15-Nov-11 16:26:49

Congratulations gracesmum and Faye wonderful news for both of you.
Have just read your earlier postings Faye and really felt for you coping with all that angst but worth it to see the Jazzily Grace and daughter relaxed and happy.
Guess you are still anxiously waiting Libradi Thinking of you and hope all goes well.

Faye Tue 15-Nov-11 10:56:32

Congratulations Gracesmum on the birth of your new grandson. We are sharing the wonderful feeling of a newborn grandchild. I like his names and two of my grandsons have three names each.

Also thank you Grans for the good wishes on the birth of Jazzily Grace. She is so very cute and her mother is very relaxed and enjoying her happy calm baby.

I have been looking after my grandson and taking him twice a day to see his mother, while my son in law has gone back to work. The other grandmother has been helping too, my daughter is lucky to have a caring family on both sides. Tomorrow my grandson and I are going to pick up my daughter and gorgeous little Jazzily Grace and take them home. I am going to do the weekly shopping first. No wonder I sleep well at night!!!!

GoldenGran Tue 15-Nov-11 09:34:11

Congratulations new Grans, enjoy every moment.smile

glammanana Tue 15-Nov-11 09:27:34

Fabulous new's to Gracesmum and Faye and well done to your daughters,go and have a nice relaxing day if you can and look forward to all those cuddle's.envy

Carol Tue 15-Nov-11 08:34:25

Fantastic news Gracesmum. Welcome to the world, Toby! I'm glad everything went well for you all and your new grandson is safe and sound thanks

Oldgreymare Tue 15-Nov-11 08:18:02

Gracesmum.... congratulations. Don't worry about worrying confused. we all do it, I even worried for the Mums on 'One born every minute' AND felt the urge to push with/for them! Mad or what? blush

em Mon 14-Nov-11 23:40:54

Congratulations to both new grans. I wonder Gracesmum if he'll be heading to St Andrews in 18 years time??

Libradi Mon 14-Nov-11 19:33:24

Congratulations Faye and Gracesmum on the birth of your new grandchildren, so glad everything went well for you both thanks wine. Best wishes to you and your families.

Annobel Mon 14-Nov-11 19:29:37

I've just had my very first email from my Toby! Very correct and very sweet. He's seven and loves learning new words, the more abstruse the better. Enjoy your new little Toby, Gracesmum.

Grannylin Mon 14-Nov-11 19:07:35

Lovely news*gracesmum*,lovely name toosmile

Annobel Mon 14-Nov-11 18:22:52

Great news, gracesmum. I have a Toby GS too and I hope you have as much joy from yours as I have from mine! Enjoy lots of cuddles with both the boys. thanks wine.
I can't comment on your question, having only sons. I'm just very glad that my mum wasn't around to share my labour, either time.

HildaW Mon 14-Nov-11 18:18:18

Congrats to you gracesmum, am so happy all went well. I cant believe I was in so much of a dither awaiting my little bundle earlier in this post.I hope you get your cuddles soon XX

gracesmum Mon 14-Nov-11 17:52:58

Sorry Faye I meant to start with congratulations to you! The worrying is the worst thing isn't it - our imaginations can really run away! I see there is a thread on worrying so must have a look to seek reassurance that I am not abnormal(!) However, a very good size of baby and I am so happy for you that things have resolved themselves. Can you relax and take a breath yet? I wish you much joy with your new grand-daughter thanks - do we have a name yet?

gracesmum Mon 14-Nov-11 17:48:23

Thrilled to announce that littlest fella has a litttle brother and future partner in crime! Toby Alexander James arrived late last night after taking 36 hours to make up his mind about it. Mother and baby (7lb7oz) are well although I haven't seen them yet. DD won't be out of hospital until tomorrow, daytime visiting is restricted to partners and LF was going out with the nanny they have on Mondays. Much as I would have loved to stay, I felt they will need their own space, SIL can have an early night once LF is in bed and it all kick off tomorrow! Hope to be able to go up later this week with DH for a flying visit. In the end it wasn't a blue light dash - DD had started intermittent contractions on Saturday and rang to give me a heads-up, so I drove up late afternoon but by the time Sunday morning came she was still there having bounced away most of the night on her ball! Contractions continued throughout Sunday while I took littlest fella to the swings and then we all went to Botanic Gardens (D wired up to her TENS machine!) and she finally went into hospital about 7.30 last night.
One thing unsettled me though and I wonder how many share this - I was really distressed to see my daughter in so much pain - although coping wonderfully - and the mums' instinct to take the pain away was very hard to resist. I had never thought of this before - I can't believe this is unusual, but how have others coped with this?

Elegran Sun 13-Nov-11 20:30:58

Congratulations Faye.

Carol Sun 13-Nov-11 19:54:28

That's such wonderful news Faye. Congratulations to you all and a big welcome to your little grandaughter thanks

HildaW Sun 13-Nov-11 19:42:12

Congrats Faye...to you and all your family. Its so wonderful when we get the 'all clear'. She sounds a jolly good weight! Best wishes to you XX

nanachrissy Sun 13-Nov-11 13:45:07

Congratulations Faye What lovely news thanks

Grannylin Sun 13-Nov-11 12:58:28

Lovely news Faye and a really good weight too! Take caresmile

Annobel Sun 13-Nov-11 12:52:32

Congratulations Faye - to you and all concerned. wine wine thanks

Oldgreymare Sun 13-Nov-11 12:52:07

Faye wonderful news! Congratulations to all..... glad you drove 'safely'. Looking forward to hearing what she is to be named. smile

Faye Sun 13-Nov-11 12:40:47

I have a beautiful new granddaughter, she was born by C-section yesterday 12th November at 1.08pm. She was three and a half weeks early and weighed 7lbs 2ozs. How very tiny and sweet she is and very gorgeous, but not small for being early.

I got caught and Plan A had to become Plan B, well I thought she might be early but not quite this early. I found out that my daughter was going into theatre as I had started the drive to visit my mother, (who was okay and able to leave the hospital today). I didn't hear anything for nearly three hours as I was out of mobile phone range. I was worried and imaging the worst wondering what was going on most of the time I was driving. My daughter finally got through and let me know it all went well.

Waiting a day to see my granddaughter was torture and I feel terrible for grandmothers that have to wait longer. I then drove for six hours today to get here and could barely wait to see this precious little bundle. She is just lovely and I feel very proud and happy. smile

Libradi Sat 12-Nov-11 13:48:04

Thinking of you Faye hope mum feels better soon and your daughter can hang on a bit longer. thanks