Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

long haul flight

(8 Posts)
Harlequin Fri 04-Nov-11 15:43:35

Any tips and hints about what to wear/take in cabin baggage for an overnight flight from UK to Sydney? Can't afford any better than Economy so no luxury involved.....

MaggieP Fri 04-Nov-11 16:07:28

Hi Harlequin
Enjoy your trip Down Under, Sydney is a really great city as is Oz altogether.
Re what to wear on a long haul. Be comfortable so wear loose fitting clothes around the waist, have a cardigan or fleece to put on as the air con is often chilly even with a blanket they provide.
Ankles usually swell on most people so have shoes that will fit once you have to get off at Sydney! I always wear flight sox, they certainly keep swelling down and maybe a protection against DVT , there are mixed messages there these days.
Your skin can feel very dry due to the cabin atmosphere so a moisturiser is a good idea.
Otherwise, enjoy the flight, drink plenty of water, and have a great holiday.

Granny23 Fri 04-Nov-11 16:20:40

I would add take every opportunity to stan up or walk about. Also after my one and only long haul flight, with restless leg to contend with and a crowd of hooligan public schoolboys around us, my lovely doctor promised to supply knock out sleeping pills if I should ever be brave enough to attempt this again.

Gally Fri 04-Nov-11 17:25:45

All the above, tho' I don't do the flight socks bit. I would also take a spare set of clothes in your cabin luggage; very often you arrive but your luggage doesn't and there's nothing worse than no clean knickers!! I also keep face-cleansing wipes, toothbrush, etc.. in a small bag and every time there's a chance, go into the loo and freshen up, it really helps. Also, set your watch to Sydney time the minute you leave the UK and try and go with it - I find it quite difficult but apparently it helps, even if it means sleeping through food time grin Have a wonderful holiday Harlequin

Jacey Fri 04-Nov-11 18:18:54

All of the above Harlequin ...but take your own headphones too ...unless you can get on with those little ear bud thingies. I find them hard to keep in and painful if you fall asleep with them in.

Oh ...and a well stocked Kindle ...range of books to suit your mood!!

Have a lovely time smile

absentgrana Fri 04-Nov-11 18:21:57

Water to spray the face. Aeroplanes and their recycled air is a killer and leaves your skin feeling horrid.

HildaW Fri 04-Nov-11 18:33:35

Comfy, roomy clothing that is soft on the skin and roomy footwear.
Drink plenty of soft drinks and water.
Have some multipurpose moisteriser that you can use on face and hands and lip salve too ....all depending on what security rules are in place.
Move around as best you can.

I am a big fan of lavender and clary sage aromatherapy oils when travelling. They are calming and yet uplifting. I used them on a very long overland trip around the US. A few drops on a tissue down my front! Yes, bizzare I know but I found it very soothing and hey because I believe it will work, it works.

Enjoy this wonderful trip!

yogagran Fri 04-Nov-11 19:20:34

I agree with all of the above and would just add a couple more items. A toothbrush to freshen up before you land (if you can't stand the tiny loo/washroom on the plane you would have time to use one at Sydney airport before collecting your luggage)
And with washrooms/toilets in mind - a shewee is useful as the loos are simply dreadful after hours of use..... but that's too much information, sorry!