Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Angel grand-daughter ..........

(28 Posts)
jogginggirl Wed 23-Nov-11 22:53:21

I am so excited because we are going to see our g/d in her first Christmas pre-school play - as an Angel ...........bless her. I already have a tear in my eye and I suspect Grandad will be blinking a lot on the day........... Now we need a 'proud Grandparent' emoticon smile

glassortwo Wed 23-Nov-11 22:58:14

joggin nothing can beat that first Christmas production, I defy anyone not to have a little tear in their eye, yes proud GP smile would be great but what could we have?

glammanana Wed 23-Nov-11 23:15:31

I still get tearful remembering DS1 when he was a tree in his first play he started very upright with nice flowing branches and ended up rather bowbroke and slumped,he had to run off half way through for a toilet break but made a good recovery (for a while)smile

jogginggirl Wed 23-Nov-11 23:56:20

Mmmmm... Thinking about that one glass .........maybe a silver surfer or silver something anyway.........smile
I love that picture you created glammanana - it reminded me of ds when he played Herod - his rather forceful landing on his throne threw him right over the top of it and he lost his crown! The audience chortled at his 'attitude' whilst we sat mortified on the front row.... When he realised it was funny he played up even more and the nativity soon turned into a comedy - the first and last performance of its kind at the school, I think/hope blush

raggygranny Thu 24-Nov-11 16:34:31

There is never a dry eye in the house at these performances!

Annobel Thu 24-Nov-11 16:44:05

DS1 was a shepherd in the playgroup nativity play. There we were with little brother up in the balcony of the local church, feeling all lump-in-throat-ish when LB (aged almost 3) broke the spell by shouting out/ loud and clear, 'shut your cake-hole H...' If I ever wanted to throttle him it was then. blush

Carol Thu 24-Nov-11 17:26:30

I love the disasters that happen, like baby Jesus being chucked along the stage or the three wise men fighting over their presents. One year my grandson was dressed as a soldier in a humpty dumpty interlude to the nativity. He got rather bored standing there, so began to peel off the brick wallpaper on which humpty was resting - a whole strip came off - to loud applause from the other children!

raggygranny Sat 26-Nov-11 12:19:04

When my youngest DD was about 7, she and some younger friends decided to put on a Nativity play for their families. We were all gathered in our sitting room and the cast trooped in. Then the child playing Mary shouted 'I need a wee!' and dashed out. You can imagine the hilarity in the audience!

Elegran Sat 26-Nov-11 13:37:22

A friend's daughter and her pal once put on a little play for the family about a crusader returning from the wars to his happy home. Crusader strides in with sword and shield and boasts about how he has been fighting for ten years and capturing castles. Crusaders wife points to her row of baby dolls and replies "I too have been busy while you were away" Parents of crusader and wife just manage to keep faces straight.

gracesmum Sat 26-Nov-11 13:55:21

Love it Elegran!! Oooh Jogginggirl get the Kleenex ready! Littlest fella then aged 7 months was a sheep in his nursery "Christmas Jingle" last year (they don't call it a Nativity Play as it is very multicultural) and I cried just hearing about it!

Annobel Sat 26-Nov-11 14:27:00

DGS (7) has been cast as Scrooge in his class's adaptation of A Christmas Carol. I do wish I didn't have two unbreakable commitments that day and that DS will be allowed to video the proceedings! It's rather an appropriate role because he keeps a sort of mental balance sheet to ensure that his older sister doesn't have more money or treats than he does! But, on the other hand, he is a very kindly and friendly child, so the Cratchit family will be OK this year.

em Sat 26-Nov-11 15:27:51

I retired a few years ago but have loved helping with the Christmas show at the local school where a friend is head teacher. It's lovely to be able to be involved with only the 'good bits' in a school while walking away from everything else. We are currently rehearsing 'Hansel and Gretel' so acquiring lots of brown tights and T shirts for the trees and black ones to be trimmed up with wings and feathers for the birds. Hansel looks fine in his Lederhosen and Gretel's long blonde hair will look pretty in pigtails. Looking forward to operating the lights on performance nights!! None of my own little angels involved in this one but GD2's school choir is singing at the carol service for the RNLI in a week or so.

harrigran Sat 26-Nov-11 23:24:53

DIL just asked us if we would like to go to GD school play rehearsal, village school too small to have all parents and GPs on one day so the oldies get the rehearsal. We went last year and I cried buckets, the children were so good and the singing was terrific. Last year I had to find an angel costume, I am wondering what I will be asked to find this year. Won't be taking camera though, there are parents who don't even allow their childen to be in school photo.

grannyactivist Sun 27-Nov-11 00:38:19

My eldest son, at the age of almost four, played Joseph in a nativity play. Unfortunately Mary became distracted at the point he was due to hand over the baby Jesus to her. He tried to catch her attention by gently nudging her with said 'baby', but over time the nudging became more and more forceful until eventually he sort of forced the baby on her - and she threw it away; I guess you had to be there to realise how hilarious it was.
My youngest son played Jesus when he was just five days old. I had written and was narrating the church nativity play, so my son arriving three weeks early was a great opportunity to ditch the dolly and slip a real baby into the manger. Many people in the church didn't even realise I'd had the baby so were very surprised.

harrigran Sun 27-Nov-11 10:33:37

Ah yes baby Jesus, my GD carried the doll in the procession through school hall to place in the manger..only she didn't. Baby Jesus was dropped from a great height with a resounding thud, they could have put some straw in the bottom.

gracesmum Sun 27-Nov-11 11:59:43

These incidents are what make Nativity Plays so special. Have you all heard the little boy singing on Sarah Kennedy's radio breakfast show - alas no more? Tear run down my face (of laughter) every time I hear it!

Carol Mon 28-Nov-11 07:52:06

That's my sort of nativity harrigran. I can just imagine all the parents and grandparents trying to stifle their giggles.

jogginggirl Thu 15-Dec-11 20:30:11

It's tomorrow.......!!!! G/d angel - first pre-school Christmas play.............I'm nervous, excited and already bursting with pride............smilesmile

GoldenGran Thu 15-Dec-11 20:32:27

Take tissues jogginggirl. smile

eGJ Thu 15-Dec-11 21:01:57

In last week's school production my yougest GS (a page to a Wise Man) looked more like a performer in the Rocky Horror Show. He and the other two pages (both boys) wore sparkly black v necked tops and matching trousers with a sparkly black headband! But it was lovely! Oh and the other GS, a shepherd wore a "proper" costume; I so missed the tea towel!

HildaW Fri 16-Dec-11 11:56:05

Just thinking about little ones singing their Christmas songs has me going all misty eyed, and I'm no sentimental push over. But, just a glimpse of tinsel trimmed toddlers in wire and tissue wings gets me all wobbly. Do hope you enjoy it joggingirl, there is nothing quite like it.

glassortwo Fri 16-Dec-11 12:40:05

I have just come back from the school Chris-tingle service in the Parish Church.

It was very cold and misty here this morning, we walked the whole school through the village to the church.

The service under way and all the children in their nativity costumes singing Away in a manger, the candles were twinkling oh its was very emotional and through the leaded windows it had started to snow, the scene was like a Christmas film.

Then had to walk them all back to school through the snow storm but it has marked the start of Christmas for me. smile

Libradi Fri 16-Dec-11 12:58:01

That sounds lovely glassortwo I can picture it now, so emotional and snow too! My DGD missed her first school nativity this year as she was with me waiting for her baby sister to be born, she had the choice but seeing her new sister came first

gracesmum Fri 16-Dec-11 13:10:20

I will never forget DD and her best friend at our local Chrietingle service about 32 years ago- all went well until Miranda's candle got too close to DD's hair and there was a loud sizzling as her bunches started frizzling at the ends! How we laughed.
Littlest fella has just been a reindeer in his Nursery "Christmas Jingle" wish I could have seen it!
Have you seen this? click this and enjoy Funny Nativity www.youtube.com

harrigran Fri 16-Dec-11 13:46:02

So funny, and the baby slept on smile