Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Anyone else on strike duty?

(53 Posts)
spid Mon 28-Nov-11 12:36:38

Just found out I've got the grandchildren on Wednesday. Will have to rack my brains to think of something to amuse them on what will doubtless be a gloomy, mucky, dark day!

Annika Mon 28-Nov-11 16:00:39

Keeping my head down got so much on for Wednesday dont want to have to change my plans ....again

Annika Mon 28-Nov-11 16:17:22

Just had a look on the web site to see if our grandchildrens' school are closed and its looking like I wont be need a huge sigh of relief from me no need to change plans grin

Annobel Mon 28-Nov-11 16:18:19

I knew there must be an advantage in living a long way from the GC. grin

harrigran Mon 28-Nov-11 16:51:02

Phew, I think my DIL is on strike too. The house is not safe for young ones at present, every room has wires hanging out of the walls or wet paint.

JessM Mon 28-Nov-11 16:52:00

You could take the kids on the union demos I spose.

goldengirl Mon 28-Nov-11 21:00:55

Haven't heard yet but am hoping I'm not as I've got some deadlines! It's Grandma Day anyway from 3.15 when I begin the school pick ups but it's a misnomer because as soon as Granddad appears I'm shot off the radar - he does 'speriments' and makes 'water bombs' [yes, all over the kitchen floor]. Even the littlest one is getting in on the act these days! Still, I'm useful as a food provider.......

jingl Mon 28-Nov-11 22:38:21

Yeah, we do all the work, don't we Golden. hmm wink

Well, I think it's wink

raggygranny Tue 29-Nov-11 12:01:12

I've definitely got two, and possibly four, GCs to mind tomorrow. I've also got DD3, husband and baby staying, and DD1 coming for dinner as it's her birthday. Busy day!

glammanana Tue 29-Nov-11 13:56:37

I think the country would grind to a very quick stop if grandparents went on strike.

numberplease Tue 29-Nov-11 15:57:07

I`ve just found out that my grandson`s nursery is closed tomorrow, so he`ll be here for a few extra hours, my good fortune.

grannyactivist Wed 30-Nov-11 00:27:09

My husband is not only going on strike tomorrow, for the first time in his life, but he's also going to march through the city. I shall go along too, to either keep him out of mischief or egg him on. grin

kittylester Wed 30-Nov-11 05:48:12

My daughter and son-in-law are both on strike tomorrow and, as Wednesday is my usual day for having the children, I thought I would get the day off. However, both of them want to go on a march so I am still required. What I wonder is, if I don't really approve of the strike, should I refuse to look after the children? hmm

bagitha Wed 30-Nov-11 06:31:36

Power to the teachers! When is a contract not a contract? When the government wastes our money.

Yes, I'm on strike duty.

glassortwo Wed 30-Nov-11 07:54:52

Yes I am on strike duty.

Thought I might have got an extra hour in bed, but can you tell me why on a normal school day I have to drag them out of bed, but this morning the little one was up at 5.45 and the older at 7.

jingl Wed 30-Nov-11 11:35:34

Much to my son's chagrin, he's on leave at the moment so can't really strike. grin He's marching though.

I never thought of going with him Granny-a. It's a nice morning. I could pick up some shopping.

Teacher daughter is on strike but is too tired to march!

Gally Wed 30-Nov-11 12:49:01

Just been, very briefly, to Asda - it was crammed full of truckled-looking grandparents with their wee charges, most of whom were belting up and down the aisles exercising their lungs and practicing their backward flips along the way. 'Oh, what whall we do with the children this morning dear? Asda - what a wonderful idea - at least it's warm in there and they can cause havoc up and down the aisles and trip up little old ladies pushing their trolleys!'.
It's a glorious day here - take the little dears to the park, to the beach, to the woods and let them run their little socks off for heavens sake then take them home and make fairy cakes with them ready for mummy coming home! wink[tongueincheeksmiley]

supernana Wed 30-Nov-11 12:54:21

Gally love it grin

Carol Wed 30-Nov-11 13:16:23

Gally you're so right! The first opportunity to have my 3 year old twin grandchildren to myself we are off to the park, walk the dog, look for animal 'clues' along the paths and around the trees, and come back to make bread, cakes, cookies, share made-up stories, blow bubbles with a straw in milk and wash dishes in the sink with lots of washing-up liquid. What fun is there for kids in Asda?

jingl Wed 30-Nov-11 13:26:13

But Gally, they love supermarkets. You can't have Asda all to yourself all the time!

Just look where you're going. hmm

Gally Wed 30-Nov-11 13:44:50

I'm of the firm belief Jings that a playground is a playground and a supermarket is a supermarket; if you want to do backward flips, shout and generally cavort about then the playground is the place to be; if you want to shop in a reasonably civilised manner in an upright position, then the supermarket is the place to be grin

jingl Wed 30-Nov-11 13:47:23

Grumps.

I hope I haven't buggered up the Esther thread. It's gone all quiet.

You are allowed to put a little answer on when she answers yours, aren't you? [worried]

Gally Wed 30-Nov-11 13:50:08

I see that both of us have been honoured by Esther answering our 'questions' jings. That's a first. I'm sure you can do just what you want but she's probably well on the way to the next one already grin

jingl Wed 30-Nov-11 13:51:19

Phew!

jingl Wed 30-Nov-11 13:52:11

Oh yes. It's ok. She's back. I didn't scare her off.