Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Sleeping arrangemnets when grandchild/ren arrive

(16 Posts)
bikergran Tue 29-Nov-11 19:40:50

Just wondering how others manage when GC have to stay over (as mine GS has had to this week as mummy is poorly.
We moved from bigger house to much much smaller house, open plan, lounge with walk through conservatory, 1 small bedroom (which hubby has now got his model railway set up in, cos I fely sorry for him)! and second bedroom (small just about fits double bed in)...hence when GS comes to stay now n then (hese 5) we really struggle..we have tried him on a single lilo at the side of the bed on the floor..but he fidgets soooooooo much , he bangs his arms n legs on the wall etc....(he sleeps in his own double bed at home always has done)....so we have recently got a double lilo which I put on the lounge floor then 2 sleeping bags on top..which he is always nice n cosy with..but poor hubby is sent off to bed early smile and grandma somehow ends up sleeping on 6 inches and clinging on for dear life on the edge of the lilo.hmm of course prior to bedtime this is a pirates raft ready for the high seas (and believe me! I feel like I have had a night on the high seas by the time morning comes) just wondering how everyone else manages in the small abodes??

Annobel Tue 29-Nov-11 19:50:22

My GC all have Readybeds - airbeds with attached fleece sleeping bags, though two of them are getting too big for them. I also have a double sofa bed but mostly they prefer the floor. Two of them are used to camping which makes them more adaptable.

numberplease Tue 29-Nov-11 21:09:58

We have 2 spare bedrooms, but only one with a bed, a single. Quite often, one of our sons asks if the 2 boys can sleep over. It doesn`t seem to bother him when I remind him that there`s only a single bed, one boy is almost 15, and tall, the other is 11 and a half, short and plump, and although they sleep end to end, I feel sure they can`t be comfy.

Charlotta Tue 29-Nov-11 21:34:19

We bought a M&S hide-away bed 20 years ago. The second bed slides under the main bed , but when pulled out is raised to the same height. We bought it for when our youngest daughter wanted her boyfriend to over night. When unused it only takes up the room of a single bed and I sew and iron in that spare room.
When their parents are staying over we give up our double bed and we sleep somewhere else in the house on make do beds. DH on an old camp bed and me on a fold up bed, but with proper mattresses. We seem to need a lot of duvets and pillows and to be honest it is quite exhausting especially when they have all gone home and we have to put all the beds away and bedding back again.

Notsogrand Tue 29-Nov-11 21:34:34

All my GC slept in drawers when they were visiting tinies. A drawer lined with folded towels then baby bedding makes a perfect crib in the early months. I'm just now Freecycling a travel cot I bought about 14/15 years ago which has been perfect for toddlers sleeping overnight. From about 4/5 years old then nests made on the floor from spare duvets, under & over, are fine. Once they get to about 9 or 10 though, it's less easy to budge up and make do. I've made good use of bunk beds in the spare room.

kittylester Tue 29-Nov-11 21:59:44

We currently have only one spare room with 2 single beds. Both single beds have "rollaway"beds underneath which, like Charlotta's come up level with the top bed to make a sort of double. We've never had a full room yet but we have the potential to sleep 4 people in there! We also have a travel cot in there too.

jingl Tue 29-Nov-11 22:19:31

It's air-beds here for the grandsons usually, especially if all the other family members are around.

It is very easy to roll off the edge of a child's air-bed when reading a bedtime story.

Sigh!

harrigran Tue 29-Nov-11 23:28:30

I just put a princess duvet on the guest bed, it is a double but I have cot sides to prevent rolling out. When the work is finished I will have two spare bedrooms and the study and second sitting room will double as makeshift bedrooms. That is not an invitation for my DC to breed like rabbits smile

grannyactivist Wed 30-Nov-11 00:21:21

I'm very fortunate to have plenty of bedrooms, so we've never had any problems with accommodating even quite large numbers. I do remember one memorable Christmas though; we stayed with my in-laws, along with our four children and au-pair, the great grandparents were also staying, as were my husband's three brothers and my mother in law's au pair. Somehow beds were found for adults, bed rolls for teens and 'nests' made for the smaller children - but the following morning (Christmas day) I discovered that my in-laws had slept on the floor under the grand piano in the music room! shock

ninathenana Fri 02-Dec-11 18:46:49

We're just about to embark on this adventure again as GS is staying for the next 2 wks. We have a single in the spare room which he uses with a bedguard one side and rolled up duvet against the wall, this works well and makes the single more toddler size.

My son has 2 matresses on his double so when DD and SIL are staying too they have the spare matress on living room floor. We have yet to work out what will happen when new arrival comes. smile

tanith Fri 02-Dec-11 19:24:23

We have a spare bedroom and a good trundle bed in there, so we can accommodate two in that room quite comfortably.. the grandkids love it because my PC is also in that room so they get to 'play'.

LynyrdSkynyrd Fri 02-Dec-11 21:22:26

We have 4 bedrooms now, but they all still end up in bed with their nan! When we had a smaller house we always had at least one night time visit.

Hunt Sat 03-Dec-11 09:02:18

As we are getting older , having 6 people to stay is a bit of a nightmare. This Christmas DS has arranged for all to stay at a nearby travel lodge at a very reasonable price. What bliss!

shysal Sat 03-Dec-11 09:24:22

My spare is only a box room really but has bunk beds and just enough floor space for a Ready bed. My problem is that the room is normally a dumping ground as I have insufficient storage space in my tiny 2 up 2 down. In 10 days time am having a hospital procedure under general anaesthetic as a day case. The doctor insists I have someone with me for 48 hours, so daughters have worked out a complicated timetable. I feel so guilty as they each have 3 children and jobs. Where am I going to put all the stuff, including Christmas presents, from the spare room ? In the car and shed possibly.blush

tanith Sat 03-Dec-11 14:51:19

No possibility of you staying with one of your daughters shysal? might make it easier all round..

shysal Sat 03-Dec-11 16:19:28

tanith We did consider it but just not practical unfortunately.