Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

My grandson had an accident

(28 Posts)
pinkprincess Fri 23-Dec-11 00:33:12

I know all you grandmothers on here will know why I am feeling happy today.
Two days ago my only grandson who is 10 was very ill indeed.He had been climbing on railings as boys do, and he must have slipped and the top of a railing pole went into his tummy. He ran into the house screaming and holding his stomach.Only my husband and fifteen year old grandaughter were in.They managed to sit him down and found there was blood puoring from a hole in his tummy.To cut a long story short my grandaughter phoned 999 wwhile my DH pressed a clean teatowel over the wound until the paramedic arrived which was within minutes.He was given emergency treatment with oxygen and strong painkiller(Diamorphine) and a drip was set up.My GD assisted the paramedic-very proud of her.He was then rushed to hospital where he had emergency surgery to repair the damage.Fortunatly the pole had not caused major damage to any organs, the doctors think he must have pulled himself off the pole before it went in further.
Both parents were out,his mother was at work and I was also out but raced to the hospital as soon as I got the call.I got there before the ambulance as they were still working on him at home.My son and his wife got there shortly afterwards.
He is now home with a bottle of antibiotics after a load of it was pumped into his veins during surgery.He is otherwise now recovered apart from the drssing on his tummy but I thank God that he is now well.
I must add I am very pleased how my GD his half sister reacted.She kept her cool in the emergency and helped to give lifesaving treatment.I say this as she is no angel in her behaviour and is more than just a stroppy teenager.
Sorry this is long but I just had to write this.I am so happy.

goldengirl Sat 24-Dec-11 10:53:41

So pleased all is now well. What an horrific tale - makes me go cold - but your GD certainly came up trumps! I do hope you all enjoy a peaceful Christmas.

pinkprincess Sat 24-Dec-11 13:30:49

Thanks again all of you.