Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

First time as grandparent and daughter lost her baby.

(37 Posts)
Maggiemaybe Mon 22-Jun-15 20:09:08

I'm so very sorry to hear your sad news, Washerwoman, and I hope you find comfort from the support on GN from those who have been there.flowers

Iam64 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:21:12

Welcome to gransnet Washerwoman. My heart goes out to you, we had a similar experience last year when our daughter was told at her 12 week scan that her baby had died. My daughter responded very much as yours has done, stoical, practical and sensible but heart broken. The word miscarriage seems to me to be completely lacking in any kind of feeling in describing the loss of a much loved and wanted first child

Soutra flowers for you and your daughter

trisher Mon 22-Jun-15 18:28:38

Welcome Washerwoman. Such a sad story, you must be heartbroken. This was and always will be your first grandchild. Not being able to tell your mum must be so difficult, perhaps at a later date your daughter will change her mind. Meantime you can post on here when it all gets too much.

Andyf Mon 22-Jun-15 18:11:35

Washerwoman, I know exactly how you are feeling, my Son & DIL ( who thankfully have a lovely healthy 7 yr old daughter) ( first pregnancy)have gone through the same thing. I too was asked not to tell anyone. I felt totally heartbroken. You will be grieving for the lost baby and feeling unbelievably sad and worried for your daughter and her husband.
I found that there is no support for Grandparents. Given time you will all feel a little better. Thinking of you.

grannyactivist Mon 22-Jun-15 17:52:42

Washerwoman welcome to Gransnet. I'm so sorry that your first post is such a sad one, but as you can't talk about it in real life then maybe you'll find this to be a safe space to share your sadness. I lost a baby that died in the womb and it can be a fairly traumatic event for everyone concerned. flowers

whenim64 Mon 22-Jun-15 17:47:38

How sad for you all, Washerwoman. Doesn't matter that it was relatively early - by this stage hopes and dreams have taken shape and the anticipation of a new member of the family has become real. I hope you stay around, too flowers

Nelliemoser Mon 22-Jun-15 17:24:27

Washerwoman I can only imagine how upset you must be for your daughter and yourself.
Stick around, someone else will be along soon.

There are a number of other GNrs on here who have experienced this. ((((hugs))))

Soutra Mon 22-Jun-15 17:20:47

Washerwoman I have every sympathy with you and I am sure all mothers and grandmothers know exactly where you are coming from. At least those who realise that the miracle of birth cannot be taken for granted.
My DD2 had to terminate her first, much wanted pregnancy at 14 weeks because the foetus, I can't bear to say baby, was so severely impaired as to be high unlikely to be viable. He/she would have been born in May on the day we gathered to celebrate our eldest grandson's 5th birthday. (DD1's eldest) My heart was breaking for her as I saw her play with her nephews and 6 month old niece and I know how she was suffering.
I lost our first baby before he was one month old and while I suffered the feeling of being a mother without a child, I am sorry to say I gave very little thought at the time to my own parents and parents in law who had also lost their first grandchild.
Life is bl**dy unfair and I can only wish you and your DD happier times in the future. In the meantime, I too am very very sad for you all.

Teetime Mon 22-Jun-15 17:05:46

Oh dear how terribly sad for you all. There are no words I can say but only that on here are lots of wonderful people on here who themselves will have gone through what you are experiencing and will certainly be feeling for you as I do. I hope your daughter is soon over the hospital experience and back home where you can all reassure her how special she is to you. I do hope the coming weeks ease some of these feelings and that your daughter recovers her strength very soon. My very best wishes to you all. flowers

loopylou Mon 22-Jun-15 17:04:58

Welcome Washerwoman and I'm so sorry to hear about your DD's miscarriage. I had a late miscarriage and didn't really grieve until about 15 years later (and I don't know why then) after having two healthy children.

It's obviously only natural to grieve for the baby and the now unfulfilled dreams but hopefully there will be more babies.

I too was a midwife so, to a degree, I can empathise with you.

I wish you and your DD and family well. Take care x

aggie Mon 22-Jun-15 17:03:16

So heartbreaking , the rush of love for the unborn , the looking forward ... then nothing , and not able to talk about it . I do understand your DD she wants to grieve and she has you to confide in and get support , you too need support and be able to talk it out .Talking here you will find others in the same boat , I hope it helps (((((((hugs))))))))

Washerwoman Mon 22-Jun-15 16:59:02

Very early days I know. And my first post on Gransnet but I thought I was in no rush to be a grandma having had a few very busy and stressful years with all sorts of ups and downs with elderly parents,work and life in general.It was something to look forward to hopefully but honestly didn't think any of my 3 daughters was planning to start a family just yet.But then my middle daughter announced she was pregnant,after a couple of health scares herself and her partner losing his dad at a young age they had decided they didn't want to wait and wanted to be youngish parents and get on with it.
When she told me all of a sudden both myself and my DH were completely thrilled.Suddenly it all made sense,and her sisters were equally excited.
But very sadly at her 12 week scan she has just found out the baby died about 2 weeks ago,and tomorrow goes in for an evacuation.She's heartbroken,but very stoic and practical.And as a former midwife I know all too well how common miscarriage is.Especially in first pregnancies.
But I do feel I'm grieving this little baby very keenly.That's all really.And I know many more grandparents will have had to support their children through miscarriages and much later,and more complex situations.
My daughter doesn't want to let any but the few people who knew about her pregnancy know about her miscarriage at this stage - and that includes my very elderly but mentally with it mum- and I totally respect her wishes.But I'm finding it hard not to confide in my mum.I won't .So just wanted to sound off somewhere.Thanks for reading.