Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Baby equipment

(34 Posts)
HQ1 Thu 09-Jul-15 16:42:56

Diono Buggy Buddy - overall rating 10/10

(*From LaraGransnet)

(2014) As a new parent you can be inundated with 'stuff' for your baby. Separating the pointless knick knacks from the clever gadgets that really do make your life that little bit easier is difficult task. The Diono Buggy Buddy definitely falls under the latter category. With adjustable velcro fastening it fits easily onto any pushchair or buggy and it's the perfect place for keeping to hand those everyday essentials - keys, phone, credit card. With two insulated drink holders as well as a zipped compartment for valuables, this has saved me many an awkward fumble in my blackhole of a change bag looking for house keys in the middle of a downpour!

HQ1 Thu 09-Jul-15 16:41:12

Buggy clip/lock, Jo Jo Maman Bebe - overall rating 10/10

(From nanapug)

(2011) This is an amazing little inexpensive piece of equipment (£9) that clips on to the buggy handle. You can either clip your handbag/shopping to it or you can clip the buggy to a fence or something if you are leaving your buggy, for instance when visiting a castle or such. It has a simple combination lock. There is also a cheaper version (£6) without a lock simply for hanging shopping on to. Don't know how we managed without it!!

HQ1 Thu 09-Jul-15 16:39:10

Bamboozle cloth - overall rating 10/10

(From nanapug)

(2011) These cloth nappies are just amazing. They are beautifully made, really pretty, an amazing saving against disposable nappies, smell far nicer than disposables, are good for the environment and maintain optimum hip position for babies. They are easy to wash and dry and have an excellent resale value. Babies are far less likely to have nappy rash too. Couldn't recommend them more.

HQ1 Thu 09-Jul-15 16:34:00

Baby Crawl and Learn Bright Lights Ball, Vtech - overall rating 10/10

(From moreforbabies)

(2014) If your baby is starting to learn to crawl and you’re looking for a toy to encourage him or her… then this may the toy for you! It’s called the VTech Baby Crawl and Learn Bright Lights Ball and it is, without question, one of the biggest motivators to get my little boy moving around! As he is attempting to crawl, the bright lights, sounds, and constant movement of the ball capture his attention and he tries to reach this fascinating little contraption! He is now rather swift at pulling himself across the floor to chase after it! Just a matter of time now before I will be running around the lounge trying to keep up with him – oh how time flies…….

The VTech Ball has a motorized random movement which, in combination with the sound and lights, is what really helps promote the crawling and motor development. It is an interactive moving ball with a specially built-in motor activated to make the ball roll around. It lights up and plays different music too – either by pushing the buttons on its surface or it will play catchy songs at random.

It’s such a fantastic idea as it's very durable, has great movement, bright colours, textures, music and encourages learning of shapes, numbers and animals.

My son loves the flashing lights and different noises. It’s a magical little ball as, even though we have had it now for a number of months, we have recently found a few new sounds to sing to! It is easy to use and the buttons are really sensitive, so great for younger babies. We purchased it when my son was about 5 months old to encourage him to sit up too.

I have to say in the beginning I thought this just a gimmicky toy that would be stored and never played with. Boy was I so wrong. This is definitely a must-have toy! It encourages learning with play, therefore is an absolute favourite of mine.

HQ1 Thu 09-Jul-15 16:32:30

Baby Bjorn travel cot light - overall rating 10/10

(From LaraGransnet)

Small children do not travel light. From prams to car seats, thermometers, nappies, countless clothing changes, sterilisers, toys etc, it's easy to forget your own bag when trying to remember all the paraphernalia your little one might need. When my daughter was first born we were travelling a fair amount. She had clocked up airmiles to South Africa and Australia as well as various places in Europe before she was 6 months old. And that't not counting a camping trip, a stay in Cornwall and a weekend in Scotland to see the grandparents. Getting her to acclimatise and sleep in new environments was sometimes challenging, not least because she had to get used to a new cot on each occasion - or when one wasn't available she had to be in with us. The travel cot we had was extremely heavy and quite frankly a pain to put up and even more so to put down. I don't think I ever managed it to be honest - my other half battled with it each time. And the mattress was really thin and hard. We ended up putting a duvet underneath it to cushion it which wasn't ideal.

I was sceptical at first when asked to review the Baby Bjorn Travel Cot. Although I'm a big fan of the brand - I love their carriers and have only heard excellent things about their bouncer - I wondered how different it could be from all the other travel cots I've used over the years. My son is 3 months old and we tested it out recently on a trip up to see my inlaws.

Firstly, the weight. At only 6kgs it's much lighter than anything else we've used and the handy case and carry handle make it really easy to pick up with one hand while carrying a baby in the other.

The instructions are straightforward - although to be honest you shouldn't really need them. Once up, it looks deceptively small but my almost 3 year old (who is average to tall for her age) insisted on getting in and demonstrated it was (just) big enough for her too.

The mattress is lovely and comfortable. My old travel cot (which weighted a tonne!) came with a really thin and hard mattress. This is pure luxury in comparison.

My little boy is a good sleeper but even so in a new environment I expected a little bit of restlessness during the night. But he seemed quite comfortable and didn't stir once until 5:30am (what I now consider a lie-in).

I would definitely recommend paying a little bit more for a travel cot like this. There really is not point in spending less and either a) not taking it with you because it weighs too much or takes up too much room or b) your little one isn't comfortable and you're up half the night anyway. Sleep is paramount...

HQ1 Thu 09-Jul-15 16:30:22

Sophie Le Giraffe teether - overall rating 10/10

(From Anon)

(2014) I received a Sophie Le Giraffe teether to review. I like how it's made of natural rubber and food grade paint. It's very soft - unlike lots of other teethers on sale. It's especially light and a good size, for a baby to grab and hold onto. The cute giraffe has actually become a favourite for my four-year-old, who obviously doesn't use it as a teether, but as an animal to play with in his barn (who knew you could find giraffes on a farm?) Multi-purpose toy it seems!

(From evahnt)

(2012) As soon as I gave the giraffe to my 16wks old, she knew instinctively what to do with it. She loves the fact that it squeaks as well. Lovely & soft, she can easily get her gums round the various parts of the giraffe to get some relief. Easy clean with soapy water & a soft cloth. Do not sterilise. Would definitely recommend.

(From maryjane)

(2011) Sophie is an iconic teething toy made of natural rubber. It has a squeak and is just right size for little hands to hold and to get their fingers around.

HQ1 Thu 09-Jul-15 16:19:25

Silver Cross Simplicity Group 0+ Car Seat and ISOFIX base - overall rating 10/10

(From HelenRGransnet)

(2015) I received the Simplicity Group 0+ Car Seat to review from Silver Cross, in Black - a rearward facing car seat suitable from birth to 13kg (approx 9-12 months).

We've been using this car seat since day one, coming home from hospital with our first born. After a 41 hour labour and long sleepless stay on the postnatal ward, nerves were jangling about how to make sure we didn't break this new tiny thing. This car seat was really easy to use, even for the exceptionally sleep-deprived. And although our daughter looked absolutely tiny in it, the padding around her head reassured us that she was perfectly comfy and safe in there.

Our baby is now 4 months old and fills up a lot more of the car seat but she still looks perfectly happy in there. There are a few really great things about this car seat:

- It clips into and out of the ISOFIX base really easily, and has green/red indicators on the base to tell you whether you've clipped it in correctly or not

- The straps adjust really easily by pressing a button on the front of the seat and pulling the straps at the same time. This is really handy if you have a wriggly baby because you can loosen them to strap them in then pull them tighter again once their in.

- The adaptors that you put on the bottom of the car seat to make it go on your buggy (we have the Silver Cross Surf2 travel system but I believe you can use this car seat with other pushchairs/travel systems too) don't need to be put on and removed every time you want to put the car seat on the buggy base - you can just leave them on all the time if you want to. That obviously minimises the risk of losing an adaptor and makes it really simple to clip them in and out of the car and onto the buggy.

The car seat is only compatible with the Simplicity ISOFIX base, which is a shame, because this is a really good quality and easy to use and install car seat base, but we'll have to get a different one when we move up to the next size of car seat. That's the only slight negative about this car seat but otherwise we absolutely love it.

We opted for black but there are loads of colours to choose from and the fabric is lovely. The removable apron is also quite handy when it's cold and/or wet for added protection from the elements.

(From redberry48)

(2014) I received the Simplcity Car Seat and ISOFIX base to review from Silver Cross. The car seat is rear facing and is perfect for newborns up to infants of 13kg. The seat slots easily onto the ISOFIX base and is also designed to slot right on top of your Surf2 for those early days when you have a newborn, which can make your life easier. I have the Simplcity in ‘Aubergine’ to match my Surf2, and it looks really snazzy! One of the things I love most about the Silver Cross range is the wealth of colours that you can choose from and the excellent high quality nature of the materials that they use - it's so reasuring, especially for nervous parents of a newborn! The Simplicity also comes in: Chilli Red, Lime Green, Raspberry Pink, Sand, Sky Blue, Damson Purple and Black.

I have found the Simplicty Car Seat to be super simple to slot into to my car - especially if you have an ISOFix base. I’ve also trialled it without the ISOFIX base (with a seat belt in the 'old fashioned' way), and it was very easy indeed to instal. I’ve felt really confident putting my newborn in the seat because I trust the Silver Cross brand and I know that the seat is specifically designed to aid the transition from newborn to infant. In these early days, we were quite nervous about everything (!), so we spent a lot of time wiggling it this way and that to ensure that it felt secure before putting our PFB in there, and it really didn’t move at all, which was very reassuring. The seat has a 5 point harness and the materials used are of a really high quality. The shoulder pads and straps seem to be really comfy and the seat itself is cosy looking, especially the newborn insert for those early months. I feel confident that my DD is well supported with the newborn insert. The apron is proving particularly handy now that the weather is getting colder.

The Simplicity seems pretty perfect so far, and I have been recommending it (especially as part of the whole Silver Cross travel system) to all my friends who are pregnant. It's just so great to have a product that is reliably safe, looks great and comfy for my little one. I would definitely recommend it - especially as part of the whole Travel System. It's been a real hit in our house!

For more info on the product, visit the Silver Cross website: http://www.silvercrossbaby.com/our-products/car-seats/simplicity/

(From Anon)

(2014) I received the Simplicity Group 0+ Car Seat and ISOFIX base to review from Silver Cross, in Simplicity Aubergine - a rearward facing car seat suitable from birth to 13kg (approx 9-12 months).

There were so many colours to choose from; Chilli Red, Black, Lime Green, Damson Purple, Raspberry Pink, Sky Blue and Sand.

The instructions for the seat were really clear, almost too easy with illustrations. The ISOFIX base was easy to install, with a simple one-click attachment and four indicators that show green when it's correctly fitted. There is also a green indicator on the leg of the base to show it's made contact with the floor. The base came with ISOFIX guide cups, which made it so much easier to put into place.

The seat clicked onto the base seamlessly and clicks out just as easily. When the seat is in there is a green indicator showing. I'm very impressed with how secure it feels, even when we try to move it about.

The seat has a five point harness and a head support that can be adjusted with the baby in the seat. The straps and shoulder pads are soft and our baby appears to be comfy. We haven't used the apron yet as it's quite hot in the car, but I imagine it'll come in handy during the colder months. The hood has been great at blocking out the sun light.

I would definitely recommend this car seat and base to others. It's reasonably priced and as the name suggests, really simple and easy to use. It's not compatible with the pram I have, but you can create a full travel system with Silver Cross's Surf 2, Pioneer, Wayfarer, Sleepover, Freeway and Reflex.

UPDATE:

Time has flown by and my baby is now five months old! I've since stripped the car seat and washed seat cover in the washing machine, following the guidelines on the labels. I was a bit anxious about doing this (but my baby was sick ALL OVER the seat so I didn't have much of a choice...) but it came out perfectly fine and fresh.

I love how easy it is to click the car seat into the ISOFIX base, so I can strap him in and carry him quickly to the car without faffing about in the cold.

We've also had to readjust the straps as they were starting to press his shoulders down. We were too lazy to dig out the instructions, but we worked it out in a matter of minutes. There is a flap at the back of the carseat and you can move the hight of the straps with a clip - it's really that easy.

I stand by this carseat, it's brilliant!

You can visit the Silver Cross website here: www.silvercrossbaby.com

HQ1 Thu 09-Jul-15 16:17:20

Babydumdum soother, Cuddle Kids - overall rating 10/10

(From maryjane)

(2011) Sophie is an iconic teething toy made of natural rubber. It has a squeak and is just right size for little hands to hold and to get their fingers around.

HQ1 Thu 09-Jul-15 16:08:32

As part of our preparations to get the mobile site up and running we are changing the way we do reviews to make sure they work just as well on a phone or tablet as they do on the desktop site.

This means discontinuing the old-style review pages and moving them onto the forums instead. We will also be losing the product reviews topic on the forums as we reckon it's far easier to find reviews for beauty products, say, under 'Style and beauty' or great hotels under 'Travel' than it is to trawl through reams of things that are not relevant to your search.

That bit coming soon - but for now we will be reposting all your reviews for baby equipment on this thread so that the info is still available to anyone who'd like to use it. Of course if you have others that you would like to rave/moan about do feel free to add here too.