Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What's in a name?

(70 Posts)
phizz Mon 11-Jan-16 20:10:22

I am the proud possessor of a seven month old great grandson.

Although it won't arise for a few years yet, my problem is this..
by what name should I be known to the little one?

'Grandma' of course is already taken so what best for me I wonder.

If anyone has any bright ideas I'd be so glad for you to share them with me.

thatbags Wed 18-May-16 09:18:12

Short 'a' in the Scottish Papa, btw, as in northern grass or bath.

thatbags Wed 18-May-16 09:16:58

My dad became Jimpa to his American grandchildren. Their dad is a Jim too so I guess the eldest grandchild misheard Grandpa as Jimpa.

Papa is common in Scotland for grandpa/dad.

My siblings and I called one of our grandmas Grom.

sallyswin Wed 18-May-16 00:48:07

We were Granny and Grandad. However DGS has come under the influence of Pepper Pig, and at our last visit I was asked "Where's Grandpa?" So a name change has taken place! DDIL says she prefers it and DH says he is happy to be called DGS's choice. We now just need to watch Pepper Pig!

NonnaW Sat 09-Apr-16 10:49:40

My sister in law is always great-grandma to her 7 GGC.

Cerasus Sat 09-Apr-16 09:31:17

I think Phizz is a great name. I am Ganny because that's how my first grandchild addressed me and it stuck. One of my grandfathers was Pop Pop to the family til the day he died because that was my name for him as the first grandchild. It only seems odd when spoken outside the family. I love the names children find for themselves. Congratulations, it's wonderful to have a new little one to cuddle and love.

absent Sat 09-Apr-16 05:51:06

Either the child will decide on his own name for you as my first grandson did for me, so I became Granna for all my grandchildren, or you can choose whatever suits you. Being a frightful pedant, I always referred to my mother's sisters as Great Aunt Whoever when talking to absentdaughter. (My own mother had opted for Grandmum and that is still the name absentdaughter uses when she talks about her.) It used to make my youngest aunt laugh her socks off to be addressed as Great Aunt Win by this tiny niece.

Wendysue Sat 09-Apr-16 00:26:11

But the question here is what to call a great grandmother, am I right?

Coolgran65 Fri 08-Apr-16 23:20:21

I chose to be granny to our two DGC 8 and 5 who live nearby.

Then when we had another DGC born very far away we were asked what we'd like to be called,, so granny coolgran continued. I

think a granny sounds cosy tho eldest dgs 5 says I'm crazy granny because I've got crazy hair. And his sister 8 says I'm sort of cool because I use a backpack instead of a handbag over my arm.

Deedaa Fri 08-Apr-16 21:57:32

I chose to be Granny to our three. My mother refused to be called Granny because she thought it made her sound too old! She insisted on being Grandma which I thought sounded rather old and staid. I thought Granny sounded more fun.

hildajenniJ Wed 06-Apr-16 20:25:36

Although I am Granny to my three older DGC, the youngest who is three calls me Babaa. I am not the size of an elephant, but I like it.

BBbevan Wed 06-Apr-16 19:25:38

My children called my Mum ' Black Mam' She had very dark hair and was Welsh. My husbands Mum was ' Green Mum' we don't know why., My Mum and Dad were M & G .
We are Grandma and Grampa Peter

maddy47 Wed 06-Apr-16 18:48:22

I am granny to all my grandchildren, but one side call me Red Granny, as opposed to Blue Granny - nothing political I hasten to add, just our hair colour! The York three call me Granny Walking, as opposed to Granny Train, to reflect the way we get to their house.

They called my ex's mother White Granny, for obvious reasons.

I love being called Granny.

Wendysue Sat 30-Jan-16 15:19:31

Love the pic! You look great and so do they!

Stansgran Sat 30-Jan-16 14:05:03

What about GiGi?

GrammaH Sat 30-Jan-16 11:55:43

We're known as Gramma & Graffa to our 2 year old grandson. His other grandparents are Grandad & Grandma - he is able to distinguish easily between Gramma & Grandma & says each clearly. He has 2 great grandmas, each known as great grandma plus their names . Graffa was my husband's invention, don't know where it cane from!

phizz Tue 19-Jan-16 22:01:05

Thank you Marmark. I am.

Minder Mon 18-Jan-16 08:45:17

My granddaughter calls me Nanny or Nan. She lives in Herts and my late Mum lived in Yorkshire. My granddaughter called my Mum Great Grandma Yorkshire Pudding when she was talking about her, Grandma when she was with her.

rubylady Mon 18-Jan-16 02:00:39

When I was seeing my grandson he referred to me as "Granny Doggie" as I always took my doggie with me when visiting. Well, either that or he thought I was a right old b***h! grin

Jalima Sun 17-Jan-16 23:47:08

Although our friend's Welsh DGC call him 'Bampy'

Jalima Sun 17-Jan-16 23:45:56

My DIL's mum is Nien (pronounced Nine)
Yes, it is Nain and it's Welsh for Grandma
Grandad is Taid

Bez1989 Sun 17-Jan-16 20:34:31

Im a step grandparent. Sometimes they call me grandma & sometimes by my christian name. I dont mind what they call me as long as we have a happy relaxed
relationship.

rabbitpie Sun 17-Jan-16 20:33:37

I am a great grandma and my little ones were confused. How can you be Gran when we already have one? We tried to explain how I was there Granny too. So that's me - Granny Too.

hulahoop Sun 17-Jan-16 19:53:56

I'm grandma same as GCSEs other grandma different names solve confusion

cayuga123 Sun 17-Jan-16 17:37:41

I'm Granny to all my GC, because that's what I called mine but one GS,the other day, called me Ne ne. I wonder if that will stick. My Swedish Grandmother was Mormor.

trisher Sun 17-Jan-16 16:33:08

I'm Granny, my mum is nanna. My DIL's mum is Nien (pronounced Nine) which apparently is Welsh for nanna