Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What's in a name?

(69 Posts)
Rhonab Tue 12-Jan-16 16:35:43

I am Gran to our wee GD, the same as my mum is to her GD's ... she has become great Gran to her two GGC but has recently wondered if she should become Grandma. We had 2 (great) grandmas as kids and so I associate it with really old ladies.
I was amazed when a young friend told me her mum (a slip of a girl in her 40's at the time) was called Grandma!

My mums first name is Nana, so for our family it's not an option. ?

tanith Tue 12-Jan-16 16:33:36

I'm a different name to different grandchildren when the older ones were little it was Nanny now they are grown its granny to most of them or just Nan, to the little one who lives abroad I'm granny and to my first Great grandson just Nanny. I answer to anything grin as long as its not a swear word wink

Marmark1 Tue 12-Jan-16 16:16:24

Well I'm grandma(because that's what I am,a grandmother) and I have to say very proud and happy to be.My dear dear sister died 6weeks before here first grandchild was born.

Teetime Tue 12-Jan-16 10:48:07

phizz congratulations it must be lovely having a baby around to cuddle. My youngest is now 11 he calls me Nanna (I called my GS Nanna and I prefer this to Grandma) and his paternal GS Grandma his step GS Grandma Chris. My other GC's call me Nanna and then my first name as they have a couple of other grandmothers too. Confusion for children when we have these 'blended families'.

phizz Tue 12-Jan-16 10:27:12

Thank you for all your suggestions. I rather think I like 'Gaga'..the most apt. grin

However, knowing children as I do, perhaps the little one will have his own ideas as to what name suits me.

I cannot wait to find out.

Marmark1 Tue 12-Jan-16 09:55:52

Great grandma?

Humbertbear Tue 12-Jan-16 07:39:21

I don't understand why you can't be called by your name eg grandma Sophie.

In our family we use the Yiddush word for grandma which is Bubba and I grew up with a Bubba Goldie, a Bubba Sophie and Bubba Brownie.
My grandchildren have both their grandmas and a great grandma, for example, so their great grandmother is called Bubba Dudu.

ninathenana Tue 12-Jan-16 07:12:06

I'm nannie and my mum was grannies.
I do like the idea of grandma for GG but DGS found it a bit of a mouthful smile

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 12-Jan-16 07:07:42

I like GG. My GG died when I was little, but we just called her Granny Mc***, the same as mh grandmother. My great aunts were just Auntie *. It would be nice to have something special for great gran though and GG sounds fun. Not sure about great aunts. smile

cornergran Tue 12-Jan-16 07:06:31

My grandfather became known as 'old granddad' when his first great grandchild came along. He loved it - if we get that far not so sure it's for DH. grin.

JackyB Tue 12-Jan-16 06:35:46

In our situation it is complicated by two languages being involved. On our side, the English-speaking side, my father insisted that my children called him by his Christian name, and I think my mother would be quite all right with her great-grandchildren using her Christian name, if she's still around when the little ones can speak enough.

I can't imagine that little ones would grasp the concept of "great-granny" so perhaps just granny or granny and your Christian name might be a good compromise.

Jomarie Mon 11-Jan-16 23:49:13

How about "Grandmama" = full of age and wisdom but not terrifying (unless you want it to be) to a youngster. grin

Jalima Mon 11-Jan-16 23:30:04

It depends what names for a grandma are already taken, and what your DGC call you I suppose.
Our DC called their DGG 'Gran'

I am just 'Aunty ***' to my many great-nieces and great-nephews.
I am a great-great-aunt too, now that must make me old grin

Gagagran Mon 11-Jan-16 20:28:45

You called, Ana?

merlotgran Mon 11-Jan-16 20:19:02

My mother was always known as GG to the great grandchildren.

Ana Mon 11-Jan-16 20:17:47

Gaga? grin

Imperfect27 Mon 11-Jan-16 20:16:58

How about Geegee (for great gran?) smile
I recently became a great auntie and that one is perplexing me ha ha.

NanaandGrampy Mon 11-Jan-16 20:16:14

Well obviously I favour Nana :-)

phizz Mon 11-Jan-16 20:10:22

I am the proud possessor of a seven month old great grandson.

Although it won't arise for a few years yet, my problem is this..
by what name should I be known to the little one?

'Grandma' of course is already taken so what best for me I wonder.

If anyone has any bright ideas I'd be so glad for you to share them with me.