Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

My Grandson is scared of me!

(117 Posts)
Armoria Wed 12-Dec-18 15:24:36

It's getting to the point now that I really don't want to visit my son and daughter in law because my 22 month old grandson screams and cries and clings to his mum whenever I arrive. I have never ever done any single thing to warrant this and it is really upsetting.

I have a loving and close relationship to my daughter's children who are now 12 and 17 and when my son and his wife had a little boy in 2016 I could not have been more thrilled. We were not allowed to visit for the first week as they wanted to get established into a routine before having visits and also it had been sort of agreed that my daughter in law's parents should be the first to visit as the little chap was their first grandchild and we already had 2 so we had to wait until they had got round to visiting. I was a tad put out but went with it to keep the peace. When we did see him he was adorable but parents were suffering and sleep deprived so we used to take him out for a walk for a couple of hours or so to give them chance for a catch up nap and we absolutely loved the time we spent with him out and about.

When he was a few months old he had a stinking cold and reflux and at one point stopped breathing. They called an ambulance but after being checked out in hospital he was given the all clear and sent home. My son called me, he was overwhelmed and daughter in law a mess too so at 10.30pm we just got in the car and drove the 90mins to their house and spent the next 2 days and nights with them till they all settled. They are first time parents in their mid 30's, both professional people and absolutely no experience of children whatsoever. We continued to visit 2 days and nights a week until they seemed to be more confident and then we started stepping back to one a week. Also I am self employed and while I can juggle my work to fit in any family demands I cant always do so and there are periods where I have to work maybe everyday for a few weeks and I also help out my daughter with childcare for her youngest one and we do try to have a life of our own and go on holidays and breaks.

When little one was about 7 or 8 months old my daughter in law became very possessive, having now found her 'mummy feet' big time and she became his whole world whereas before she was happy to let us take him for walks, feed him, change him, cuddle him. If I were to even try to go near him or pick him up he would cry and rather than let me rock and shush him she would immediately take him off me, take him away and cuddle him. This went on for weeks and weeks and I eventually got so exasperated but tried not to let it show for sake of harmony but my son could see I was upset one time however they both said sorry if I was upset but they did not want HIM to be upset or cry and maybe it was because we didn't come over often enough and her parents were there every week or so. Her parents by the way are older and both retired, my son is also self employed so knows that when you have to work, you have to work. It got so bad that I would only have to walk in through the door and he would burst into tears, scream and hold out arms for his mum and she of course would always rescue him.

He's now nearly 2 and while he does not cry and scream so much he still does cry upon seeing me and will not go anywhere near me. Ive tried being casual about it, Ive tried holding something out for him to take, I've tried playing with him, talking to him but to no avail. If he is walking across the room and say I walk in he straight away turns around and goes back or does a massive detour to avoid me.

I am really at my wits end, He is OK with my husband, he goes up to him and holds his hand and plays cars with him. I want nothing more than to pick him up and give him a big sqwishy nanna kiss and cuddle, sing to him, read a book with him on my lap, take him for walks round the garden looking for bugs and things. All the stuff I did with my other grandchildren.

I have no idea what to do. I suspect it has been 'imprinted' on him that I am something to be scared of and to be mummy rescued from because of how each time he cried he was taken off me but I cannot say that without causing offence. He does not go to any kind of preschool, nursery or toddler group. My son works from home but little one is with mummy pretty much 24/7. They never come over to our house as a family. Son has visited just twice with him since he was born. We are expected to make the journey over to theirs which is 90 mins each way if traffic is OK. If she stays at her parents for a few days (they live about 13 miles away from us) she will meet us in town for lunch or an hour or so between his naps on one day. To be honest it's getting expensive for us to keep visiting especially as he has set naps so by the time we get there and he has been woken from his nap at the set time, we would have maybe a couple of hours with him before we would have to travel back as hubby and I dislike travelling along the country lanes in the dark so we end up getting a hotel so we can have longer with him.

It's got to the point where we just don't want to go but feel we have to to keep the peace and not be bad grandparents but how much longer can we keep doing this only for him to cry and rebuff my efforts. I am not a quitter and hate the idea of giving up on him but I'm absolutely at my wits end as to how to rectify the situation and get him to accept me. Sorry this is a long one but I am pretty desperate for any advice or help.

FingerLaker Thu 13-Dec-18 19:04:20

Ignore him. He will eventually want your attention.

oldbatty Thu 13-Dec-18 17:23:38

They sound very responsible parents and is mid 30's really that old!!!!

Coconut Thu 13-Dec-18 17:10:05

Are you able to speak to your son in confidence and discuss any issues with him ? I agree with ignoring the child for a while and let him come to you when/if ... however, surely the parents should be doing more to bridge the gap so that the child doesn’t get so upset, whatever the reason behind it.

agnurse Thu 13-Dec-18 17:07:37

I don't think the parents are being overprotective by putting limits on treats, screen time, and toys. That's called good parenting. It's now recommended that very young children should not have ANY screen time. Controlling treats is part of teaching healthy eating. As far as toys, I understand that too. There's only so much room in the house. Not to mention, GS is reaching an age where he actually doesn't need very many toys - he's getting closer to preschool age, where children's imaginations are so vivid that they can "play pretend" without actually needing much.

Shizam Thu 13-Dec-18 16:46:54

Both of mine used to do this with my ma in law who lived in a different country, so they rarely saw her. But as they got older, they came to love and cherish her. She was very patient. Don’t worry OP, it will change. Enjoy going to see your son and keep atmosphere light and loving. Esp with your daughter in law! Good luck.

Armoria Thu 13-Dec-18 16:29:14

luluaugust We used to drive up there and drive back same day but GS now has his nap scheduled from 10am till 1pm. So realistically we would have to leave home at 7am if we want to have time with him before his nap. It's a busy commuter route early morning so takes longer. Hubby is 67 and his eyes and also mine are not the best at night anymore. It's a rural area most of the way and we really dislike driving the country roads and lanes in the dark so unless we stay over somewhere we'd have to leave no later than 2.30pm to get home before dark. So choice is either have just an hour or so there or stay over nearby. DIL's parents stay over at the house but a) we don't want to impose and b) since we are no longer needed for 'night shifts' to give them a rest, Son and DIL have not offered to let us stay there. We have a motorhome and in the summer we will pitch up for the night at a local campsite about 10 mins drive away. Have asked Son if they can come over to us for a change but he says no as he has to work and tbh as he is the sole breadwinner I understand. DIL has been invited many times but always doing something else, seeing friends, going to her parents etc.

Bathbelle Thu 13-Dec-18 16:24:30

That's the problem with daughters in law

breeze Thu 13-Dec-18 16:20:39

It seems your DS and DIL, both professionals, found the shock of late parenting a bit overwhelming. GS being so poorly couldn't have helped their anxiety. Now they’ve gone to the extreme of over parenting to compensate.

The main point I picked up in your posts was that although you received some brilliant distraction techniques from other GN’s you went on to say you aren’t allowed to do any of those things. No toys, sweets, etc. So it does seem that they felt overwhelmed, little one got sick, they didn’t know what to do, you stepped in, now they've become overprotective.

None of it your fault of course. You’ve got a great relationship with your other GC so we can rule out that you swoop in on a broom in a black cloak with a wart on the end of your nose, so why does he cry when he sees you?

It could be that he’s being over protected but then why does he go to his GF.

Perhaps you are so relaxed with your other GC that you turn up all excited/intense and overwhelm him (so all of the great advice on here about ignoring him but sparking his curiosity is a great idea).

Or, another possibility, that happened to me, is that he actually misses you as he trusts you because you were there when he was poorly and his only way of communicating is to show you he’s cross with you.

One of my GC lived with me as a baby. I won’t bore you with the in’s and out’s as this isn’t about me, but she punished me after a period of my not being around by completely snubbing me. I was really shocked as we were so close and she would come to me above anyone if she fell down. So to act as though I wasn't in the room was baffling. We are fine now. It took her a little while to realise I was still there for her and I didn't push it.

So don’t reduce your visits but don’t overcompensate yourself and take the good suggestions about distraction techniques in the meantime. I’m sure, as you have a good relationship with your other GC it will all sort itself out.

Granny23 Thu 13-Dec-18 16:16:16

Another passing thought - could you arrange to meet half way, perhaps at an equidistant attraction (your treat) or child friendly cafe? Would mean only 45 minutes driving each.

luluaugust Thu 13-Dec-18 15:59:54

Whilst I think it is very important you hang on in there to be part of DGS life I feel you have been doing a bit to much. I can understand for example staying in a hotel if you were seeing them twice a year but not on a regular basis. Maybe you should explain to your son some of what you have explained to us [your DH and the driving] and ask him to bring his family over to you on a more regular basis, or next time you are with them ask your DIL if a visit could go in the diary, nothing ventured.... It doesn't surprise me that your 20 month old prefers Grandad at present its a pack thing and a jolly Grandad is often preferred by small males.

Anni50 Thu 13-Dec-18 15:49:26

When my DGS was a baby he didn't like me at all, he screamed every time I went near him. He used to tell my DH he loved him but he didn't love me. This went on for years and I just let it go. He is now 14 and we are the best of friends. I think you just have to be patient.

Armoria Thu 13-Dec-18 15:28:05

Hm99

Maybe sit on the sofa away from him with an interesting toy, or an iPad with his favourite cartoon on or chocolate

Chocolate? oh no no no he's not allowed chocolate or sweet things. And iPad cartoons are again a no no as his screen time of any description is strictly limited and happens at a set time which is usually for 30 mins in the morning after breakfast.

Armoria Thu 13-Dec-18 15:17:07

4allweknow

Is there any way he could be in the company of his cousins with you there?

How I wish this was possible but they have been pretty much cut out too. My daughter was really looking forward to being an Aunty and her girls, especially the younger one, really wanted to be cousins but due to my daughters work as a mental health support worker she works nearly every weekend, split shifts and not enough time to travel the 90mins to her brother's house and 90mins back and as I've said Son or DIL seems to have the attitude that we should visit them. DIL drives and has own car but will not come over on her own or make an effort to visit. One time when my daughter and family did visit following an invitation to do so when GS was about a month old, DIL's family turned up not long after and daughter and family including my GD's were ignored. Not even offered a drink let alone a bite to eat yet DIL's family were catered for. My daughter was fuming, just so very rude but hey ho. Daughter has invited them over numerous times in the early days but to no avail. DIL is a very different person to my daughter, they are civil but never going to be buddies yet DIL could learn so much from her as she was a senior NNEB nursery nurse for over 18 years. Daughter would never foist advice onto people but would happily give a personal and professional opinion if asked.

Helmsley444 Thu 13-Dec-18 14:50:39

Edith b .
Im in the same boat.
I have 2 sons no daughters.
When they married the dils were all over us , and we paid for my eldest ds wedding.
A couple of months after she begins to cut us out .
Making false accusations .
Shes only interested in her own family .
She controls my eldest ds and he hasnt visited us for 10 years .
Despite doing nothing to them that i can think of they dont have anything to fo with us and we soend every xnas on pur own without both sons.
My youngest ds is 30 .
Hes with his partner fir the last 2 years and theyre no kids yet.
But he has become the same as my elder ds and we never see him.
The oldest ds and her are quite happy for us to mind the 3 grandkids twice a week.
But we have to collect them and bring them home .
Whilst im delighted to see my grandchildre all boys .
Im saddened that my own 2 sons are no longer in my life .
They go along with the wives wishes for sn easier life .This is the trend with this new selfish generation .We just have to suck it uo even though weve done nothing to derserve it.
Many many couples with sons are finding it the same .

inishowen Thu 13-Dec-18 14:44:30

Izabella, I couldn't agree more.

Madgran77 Thu 13-Dec-18 13:14:20

Edithb flowers

coast35 Thu 13-Dec-18 13:08:09

Izabella that’s exactly what I was going to say. Play on the floor with anything yourself. Don’t make eye contact until he joins you. He will. If not the first time you do it then maybe further along the line. His curiosity will get the better of him. If he moves any of “your” toys tell him you are pleased he is helping because you are not sure what you should do next. Good luck.

Helmsley444 Thu 13-Dec-18 13:04:08

This is normal especially with boys.
I have 3 grandsons all brothers .
And all were like that
My middle gs whoose now 5 wouldnt entertaine for 2 years.
You have to ride it out .

oldbatty Thu 13-Dec-18 12:35:22

Why don't you "back off" oldbatty - you have said nothing remotely useful just hurtful

Absolutely no need for that. My original response was poorly worded and not thought out. I apologised quite clearly..

I have made what I feel is a useful point that the Mum may have been at a low ebb and has now bonded with the little one and that is to be celebrated.

I do feel that the OP perhaps would be wise to slightly withdraw from the situation rather than put herself through more stress. I also note some emotive words in her original post and something of a competition for affection. Perhaps she feels especially hurt as she so kindly stepped in and offered help in the early days.

Direne3 Thu 13-Dec-18 12:34:51

Have you considered letting him see that you are 'friends' with his mum by walking in with a present of flowers or chocolates and taking more notice of her than of him? Just a suggestion, I appreciate that the situation must be distressing for you but am sure will be resolved as he gets older.

Farmor15 Thu 13-Dec-18 12:30:14

As MawBroon says, many grandparents see their grandchildren a lot less often due to distance etc. I only see mine (now 2 and 3 years) 3 or 4 times a year as they live abroad. The older one was very clingy to mother for quite a long time and would only come to me if no other choice! Now it’s better, so I think it’s probably a phase.

You were obviously a great help and support when grandchild was younger, but at the moment it doesn’t seem like there’s much of a role for you when you visit. Therefore I’d suggest visiting less often for the moment. Let the other grandparents enjoy their first grandchild - you’ve got 2 others to enjoy. If your visits are further apart, grandchild may forget why he’s scared of you. Could your husband visit alone a couple of times?

Distance and time apart don’t have to affect relationships with grandparents long term. My children love their paternal grandmother who they only saw every few years as children - she lives in another country. Now as adults they choose to travel to visit her. Their relationship with my mother, who they saw more often, was ok, but not as strong.

EllanVannin Thu 13-Dec-18 12:29:41

Keep up the visiting for as long as is financially possible but ignore the youngster,he'll soon come-to.
The worst thing you can do at this stage is steer clear.

My 2 year old GGS used to pull his lip when his mum nipped out and I know it's upsetting to see so I started playing with his cars and making car noises ( taking no notice of the child ) and it wasn't long before he joined in.

Nursery has been a godsend in this respect and he attends for 2 full days and he's tons better if not naughty/cheeky now.

GabriellaG54 Thu 13-Dec-18 12:23:15

I agree with Ilovecheese.
BTW, do you wear perfume? Your GS might not like being close to you for that reason.
I was in front of a man in a long Post Office queue on Tues and he was talking to a friend. He stank of cigarettes, so much so that I had to leave and go outside to get fresh air.
Some smells affect some people. Just something to consider. smile

Gaggi3 Thu 13-Dec-18 12:21:51

A niece of DH went through a phase, when she was small, where she would have nothing to do with men. She is married with 2 sons now, so I think she got over that. Another niece didn't like my father in the peaked cap he wore for work. I did wonder if OP's GS had had a bad dream, featuring her quite out of character, which made an impression.

raggyanna Thu 13-Dec-18 12:17:06

When my oldest daughter was a baby and toddler she would just into tears when my father in law came to visit. He was a lovely man and she was his first grandchild. It wasn't because he was a man as she would go to my uncle and brother. He was hurt but we explained it wasn't him, just a phase and it would pass. When her brother was born, she was 22 months old and the first time father in law visited the new baby she ran to him for a cuddle and all was fine!! Give it time..