Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What's your favourite activity to do with your grandchild?

(45 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 22-Jul-19 14:42:13

Hi everyone,

We're updating our Grandparents Day page, and whether you celebrate the day or not, we want to hear your favourite activity to do with your grandchildren so we can add some new, fun suggestions to the page. grin

Thank you!

Gonegirl Mon 22-Jul-19 14:55:45

Go to the pub. (For food that is)

Septimia Mon 22-Jul-19 14:58:31

Strolling through the countryside looking at the plants/trees/insects/birds etc. and trying the blackberries/sloes/crabapples/elderberries etc. to see what they taste like.

tanith Mon 22-Jul-19 15:00:31

Baking she wants to run a cafe and bake cakes to sell in it so she tells me.

Grannyknot Mon 22-Jul-19 15:13:58

Building 'obstacle courses' and 'challenges' on our patio using anything I can lay my hands on - upside down chairs, big cushions, sturdy short ladders (he is mad about Ninja Warriors and Crystal Maze).

arosebyanyothername Mon 22-Jul-19 15:17:58

Making cakes is favourite.

Watering the garden is also popular with my two. Always encouraged ?

shysal Mon 22-Jul-19 15:38:29

All in the past now unfortunately as they are grown up, but they loved baking, scientific experiments and den building. They also enjoyed making pretend 'herb soup' from the herb garden trimmings with water and served to the adults.
I bought a double set of Cranium Superfort which was always a huge hit, but demolishing and packing away was a real chore!

Maggiemaybe Mon 22-Jul-19 15:47:27

Reading, always.

ElaineI Mon 22-Jul-19 15:52:50

Playing Disney Princess tea parties, chasing around outside with a ball, collecting shells on the beach.

TwiceAsNice Mon 22-Jul-19 16:03:56

Making cake. Going fruit picking . Craft projects. Trips to the park .

Teetime Mon 22-Jul-19 16:14:04

I was so surprised when my 15 year old (rock star) grandson enjoyed birdwatching with us at Rutland Water.

MissAdventure Mon 22-Jul-19 16:19:11

Me and my grandson can always have a laugh together at Laurel and Hardy films, right from when he was very small.

PamelaJ1 Mon 22-Jul-19 17:53:57

Like Septimia ours likes nature. Loves rock pools.
He’d go to a sea life centre in a moment so on horrible days that’s where we head.
Yesterday we were at a country fair, everyone was watching what was going on in the ring. We were catching grasshoppers.
Let them all go of course.

Urmstongran Mon 22-Jul-19 18:05:17

Little miss 2y old and I like ‘Play Doh’ where we make ‘sausages’ ‘peas’ etc and she puts them in her wooden play kitchen oven.

And the medical bag is popular at the moment. She knocks on the sitting room door and I open it to Dr. ‘P’ and she says hello lady and comes into the room to make me ‘better’ with her plastic stethoscope and instruments.

Our just 7y old likes anything to do with Lego with grandad and with me we play with a small soft ball - dodge, hiding it, batting with tennis racquets. He will play for an hour like this!

❤️?

TerriBull Mon 22-Jul-19 18:08:10

Swimming
Nature rambles and picnics in Bushy Park Woodland Gardens. Trips to the playground in Bushy Park
Cinema outings
Playing Cat Bingo
Reading
Playing in gardens where we live adjacent to the Thames

Sara65 Mon 22-Jul-19 18:39:16

Depends which ones I’m with, all of them love the huge pool we put up in the garden every year, we have “pool parties “ which are great fun

Two of my granddaughters love nothing more than an afternoon in Waterstones

They love the park, and cinema, and are also big fans of board games

Never be inside when you can be out, is my motto when it comes to grandchildren

Scentia Mon 22-Jul-19 18:51:12

As mine is only 10 weeks old, I enjoy just looking at him! I will walk for miles and miles with him in the pram, as long as I am looking at him❤️❤️❤️ I will enjoy being outside with him as he gets bigger, my whole life from now on is planned around where we will go on walks and picnics, I hope he is a willing participant?

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 22-Jul-19 23:04:39

I have 2 granddaughters. One - I used to love doing so many things with. She loved coming to stay with me and did so at least 3 times a year. Now, she's 14 and doesn't come to visit unless with Mum. Then she's on her iphone all the time. Rarely talks to me. I try to talk to her but ... nothing.
The other, I see her when her Dad (son) comes to visit once or twice a year.

Trollygirl Tue 23-Jul-19 08:16:24

Terribull bushey park is our favourite haunt as well, grandchildren are very fortunate to live that close it is their back garden

Fennel Tue 23-Jul-19 09:00:21

Septimia Mon 22-Jul-19 14:58:31

"Strolling through the countryside looking at the plants/trees/insects/birds etc. and trying the blackberries/sloes/crabapples/elderberries etc. to see what they taste like"
Same here, when he was younger. He's a young man now, but still interested in plants.

Calendargirl Tue 23-Jul-19 09:28:20

Love reading about all the activities, but so many seem to relate to younger grandchildren. As another poster put, as they get older, time with Granny and Grandad is often spent on the phone or tablet, with an appearance at mealtimes.
Having said that, yesterday GS 14years and GD 11 years went cycling with Grandad, but it was a bit hot and GS streaked ahead most of the way. But it was exercise.
?‍♀️?‍♂️

Cherrytree59 Tue 23-Jul-19 10:44:45

All boys four and six year olds
They love our local farm where the farmer has built a large double sledge run.

Playing in the forest building dens and following the gruffalo trail for the umpteenth time!

Walking around the nature reserve where last year our little grandson exclaimed
'Look gran they grow sausages here!!!'
Large Bulrushgrin

We are members over RSPB so our grandsons are able to go with us to the bird reserves.
The volunteers run indoor and outdoor activities activities during all school holidays.
Eg pond dipping and butterfly trail.

We also have NT and English heritage membership.
Last summer
was all about Knights and Romans.

Our local agricultural college has open days.
The boys love nothing more than spending time with the reptiles, snakes and creepy crawlies shock

Hope to take the boys again this year to Tram museum in Derbyshire and on several types of train rides.

If weather not so good the its usually sleep overs watching Star Wars playing Hot wheels and Lego
oldest loves baking cakes, youngest not interested at moment, but loves eating the cakes and biscuits made by his big brother.

The boys also have a plastic green house in our garden where they are now picking the fruits of their labour after much seed planting earlier on in the year. Happy dayssunshine
on our knees by September

Fennel Tue 23-Jul-19 11:24:27

As ours have grown older they seem to be more interested in family history.
I have (or had) quite a store of old photos, letters, newspaper cuttings etc. They like looking at those, especially the photos of their parents ( and themselves) as babies etc.

Coolgran65 Wed 24-Jul-19 03:57:18

They love Ludo.

Others are baking, gardeming, love to help and are old enough to do so.the park. Rock pools with picnic.

BradfordLass72 Wed 24-Jul-19 05:36:21

I'm fairly limited (for personal reasons) but we cook (he loves baking and cooking) do crafts, make things from boxes.
We made and painted a magnificent castle from a box which had held a fridge-freezer and he ate all his meals inside it for about a year!

When he was little, he also loved building knock-down towers from the various boxes I saved. Very occasionally we can go swimming and to a local fun place which has a variety of climbing walls where children (in safety harnesses) can tackle heights of up to 40 ft.