Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Gifts for grandchildren

(35 Posts)
HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:19:52

As part of our preparations to get the mobile site up and running we are changing the way we do reviews to make sure they work just as well on a phone or tablet as they do on the desktop site.

This means discontinuing the old-style review pages and moving them onto the forums instead. We will also be losing the product reviews topic on the forums as we reckon it's far easier to find reviews for beauty products, say, under 'Style and beauty' or great hotels under 'Travel' than it is to trawl through reams of things that are not relevant to your search.

That bit coming soon - but for now we will be reposting all your reviews for gifts for grandchildren on this thread so that the info is still available to anyone who'd like to use it. Of course if you have others that you would like to rave/moan about do feel free to add here too.

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:22:07

Aquila Magazine - overall rating 10/10

From David1968

(2014) As part of our preparations to get the mobile site up and running we are changing the way we do reviews to make sure they work just as well on a phone or tablet as they do on the desktop site.

This means discontinuing the old-style review pages and moving them onto the forums instead. We will also be losing the product reviews topic on the forums as we reckon it's far easier to find reviews for beauty products, say, under 'Style and beauty' or great hotels under 'Travel' than it is to trawl through reams of things that are not relevant to your search.

That bit coming soon - but for now we will be reposting all your reviews for gifts for grandchildren on this thread so that the info is still available to anyone who'd like to use it. Of course if you have others that you would like to rave/moan about do feel free to add here too.

(From fogey)

(2011) I've been buying Aquila for my grandchildren for the last three years after a teacher friend recommended it. I have to say it's one of the best magazines I've ever read and the grandchildren love it too! (suggested age 8-13)

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:28:36

LeapPad Explorer tablet, LeapFrog- overall rating 10/10

(From jingl)

(2012) Grandson age 6 loves this. He was always a bit left out when his older brother played with their mum's i-pad, but not any more. The games are actually educational, and he doesn't mind!

(From georgie)

(2012) A childrens' version of the iPad ,not connected to the internet but you can download plenty of good games to play. You can also be creative on it. Ages from 4 to 10 years.

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:30:43

"The Girl and the Moon" Children's picture book - overall rating 10/10

(From bellawoo)

(2014) The illustration on the cover is cleverly done. The book shows the little girl seeking different methods to reach to moon to find out what it tasted like. Her little dog was her faithful travelling companion through their adventures. She drove her scooter, bounced on a large ball, tried the longest ladder on earth & finally dug a giant hole.

It was a cute story and simple enough for beginning readers. It designed for readers to the age of six. It's a fun read and would be good for parents, grandparents, older siblings, teachers or librarians to read to a child. It was an enjoyable experience learning about how she might reach the moon.

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:32:12

Apptivity, Fisher Price - overall rating 10/10

(From MamaSG)

(2011) This is a solid, colourful holder that you can pop your iPhone into. Baby can then handle the device and watch videos on the iPhone without causing it damage. Comes with 3 free downloadable apps. My six-month-old grandson loves it!

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:33:49

Baby George Doll - overall rating 10/10

(From florencef1)

(2014) A beautiful baby doll of a good size. Easy to use and handle, and comes with clothes, bottle, dummy.

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:35:23

Canvas messenger bag, Kids Travel World - overall rating 10/10

(From jaybee)

(2011) Excellent quality, a variety of colours to choose from - initials included in the price, a very good size and can be used for school or travelling hand luggage.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:16:46

Crafty Fun Pack, Little Doers - overall rating 10/10

(From joydcraft)

(2011) Went to their website www.littledoers.com after seeing a pack sent to my friend's young grandson. I decided to try them out when I saw they had a child called Milo, the name of my youngest grandchild. I am glad that I did the pack arrived yesterday in a large packet in which were four different themed craft packs and and a separate pack which included all that you could possibly need to do all the activities, including an apron, so you could literally take this on holiday with you and have all you need for a rainy day project. I have now signed my two youngest grandsons up for 12 weeks.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:22:10

Cuddledry Baby Towel - overall rating 10/10

(From PBH123)

(2014) This is the best idea ever! I saw this at a baby show with my daughter and it was by far the most useful and brilliant product there. It's a towel shaped like an apron (so you don't get wet) but it's also a super thick lovely towel that baby gets wrapped in - making it so easy to pick baby out of the bath without an upsetting juggling act. My Seren absolutely loves it and so does her mum (and dad!) - I've bought a second one from the Cuddledry website since, so that I've got one at my house now for when I get to do bath time. I think every parent in the whole country should have one - they are the best thing I've ever seen to help new parents. Really the best present you can give. I can't wait for the next grandchild to be born to I can buy one for my other daughter too!

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:25:10

Fire bowl and cooking pan set - overall rating 10/10

(From jinglej)

Gave this to my grandson last Xmas. He loved it and it started him on an enjoyment of outdoor cooking. Even in the cold weather he will put his coat and gloves on and go outside to cook bangers and bacon for himself and his little brother.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:28:59

Get Up and Dance, Wii - overall rating 10/10

(From rosienanna)

(2011) A fabulous Christmas gift for all the family to join in at Christmas. Plus parties, New Year etc and good for all year round keeping fit!

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:30:51

Hooded Owl Towel - overall rating 10/10

(From chickpea)

(2014) An excellent original gift for Christmas.

The towels are very good quality and would last for several,years.

Good for both bathing and swimming.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:32:21

InnoTab, VTech - overall rating 10/10

(From Javlie87)

(2011) I think it is a good gift for kids 3- 7 years. The Wii and DSi are a little too advanced for the little ones. So I thought this would be a good gift idea instead.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:34:21

Just Dance 2, Wii - overall rating 10/10

(From sarahh56)

(2011) A fun game for everyone, lots of songs to choose from and up to 4 people can play, although they will need their own remote. Beware that you will have sore arms the next day as you get a good workout too!

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:44:19

Lego - overall rating 10/10

(From Pumpkin2)

(2011) I think that Lego is the best toy invention ever!

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:47:21

London bus toy, The White Company - overall rating 10/10

(From stephgr*)

(2012) I bought this from The White Company. It's a wooden bus with passengers and my 3 year old grandson adores it.

Elegran Mon 03-Aug-15 11:49:36

For an older grandchild (or an adult) with a hobby or interest - quirky nut-and-bolt sculptures from steelman24.co.uk, and they are also on Amazon. There are 700 different models, of sportsmen, musicians, computing addicts and so on.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:49:53

Monopoly, Wii - overall rating 10/10

(From montiefletcher)

(2011) Excellent fun for all the family, great to keep the kids entertained while you are cooking the Christmas turkey.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 12:03:26

Moon Dough - overall rating 10/10

(From grabba)

(2012) It is wonderfully entertaining stuff.

It comes alone or in a kit with moulds and is lovely to handle, cool and pliable.

We have had fun making farm animals and shapes.

Have also bought for grown up who has never experienced the weirdness that is Moon Dough.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 13:11:13

Personalized Beano poster - overall rating 10/10

(From jinglej)

(2011) Great pressie for boys (and girls) who love Beano. Makes a change from toys. They are really nice framed. Very pleased with mine.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 13:13:03

Phoenix Comic Subscription - overall rating 10/10

(From GigiGransnet)

(2015) I came across this by accident and introduced it to my 8 year-old reluctant reader - the result was instantaneous - he loved it! Now every Friday he is sent a new issue with brilliant stories, jokes and NO ADS! This is a great gift for comic obsessed children who get a copy a week for a year. Even better if they have siblings as the comic can be then passed on!

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 13:15:08

Skip Hop Neck rest - overall rating 10/10

(From LaraGransnet)

(2014) With one set of grandparents living three hours drive away, and the other set twelve hours flight away, there is plenty of travel involved in my little ones' lives. Travelling when my daughter was a baby was relatively easy but now she's bigger - and we have another baby on board- it's more tricky. Anything that helps get either of them to sleep is a massive help which is why I came to look at the Skip Hop neck rests. We opted for the Owl one - I like the fact that the majority of Skip Hop's products are not gender stereotyped and appeal to both girls and boys.

It's very plush and comfy (so much so that I had a snooze on it on our recent journey back from France). My daughter loves the owl design and now insists on taking it with her on the nursery run too.

Highly recommended.

*I was sent this product to review.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 13:17:14

Sticky Mosaics, Orb Factory - overall rating 10/10

(From maggiel123)

(2012) The Orb Factory is a Canadian company that produce a range of innovative and creative children's toys. They have a fantastic range of Sticky Mosaic sets on offer which will keep children happily busy for many hours.

It is a mosaics by numbers set which involves sticking the correct colour of tile on the picture, according to number. The set that was received as a gift to the children in our household, was Unicorns and Ponies and they all loved putting the picture together. There are several themes on offer from faires to dinosaurs, so would suit both girls and boys. This set was suitable for age 5 and upwards but the company produce a range suitable for 3 years+ as well. The end result is a really beautiful mosaic picture than any parent or grandparent would be proud to display on their wall. Highly recommended!

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 13:18:40

The Sticker Club - overall rating 10/10

(From nananew)

(2014) The Sticker Club is a new weekly subscription which delivers a selection of stickers to your doorstep every week. The stickers are excellent quality, fantastic designs and lovely bright colours. And you can expect to receive different designs each week to keep things fresh.

They have proved very successful in helping to potty train my son and would make a lovely present for Christmas for any child who loves stickers!

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 13:22:23

Usborne Sticker books - overall rating 10/10

(From LullyDully)

(2013) A wide variety and keep the darlings quiet for hours. Can often get 3 for 2 in WH Smiths. Dare I say it, they are also educational!