Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

I didn't know about honey!!

(148 Posts)
Grantasticpasta Mon 23-Jan-17 20:23:16

I am new to Gransnet, but had to ask someone. Since when did honey become dangerous??! I have a great relationship with grandkids, but got told off for giving little one (just turned 1) honey today. DIL said it with a smile, but I feel out of date. I hate to think I have put the little one at risk. What else don't I know??!!

Iam64 Mon 23-Jan-17 20:25:53

Oh No, whatever it is Grantasticpasta, I'm in your gang.
My girls are fairly laid back about their toddlers, thankfully. I do recall one of them saying honey was now considered inappropriate for babies under 12 months.

grannypiper Mon 23-Jan-17 20:28:40

inappropriate ? heavens, this world has gone mad. Are children allowed to eat anything

mcem Mon 23-Jan-17 20:31:33

Ok at one and older once gut has matured enough to deal with possible spores.

ginny Mon 23-Jan-17 20:31:46

Advice is so different now even from when my first DGS was born 14 years ago.
Today my DD3 said they would have to buy DGS , just one year old today, his first shoes. He is walking holding hands but not on his own. We were told not to put them in shoes until they could walk competently on their own. In face Clarks would not sell them to you until then.. Now they are told to buy them as once they are on their feet and moving a few steps even if not their own.

ginny Mon 23-Jan-17 20:32:15

On their own !

Grantasticpasta Mon 23-Jan-17 20:36:13

I know! I have checked it on the NHS page and she is right. We had a similar awkwardness in the summer when I suggested little one had water when it was so hot. That was not right either. I wish it didn't make me feel like this, I feel cross and a bit thick.

Grantasticpasta Mon 23-Jan-17 20:39:01

Ah yes mcem, OK after one year old. I just didn't know it was a thing.

Iam64 Mon 23-Jan-17 20:41:55

Well just stop feeling cross and a bit thick Grantasticpasta. Our children don't expect us to be up to date, I know mine struggle to keep up with the changing advice. One of the younger grandchildren is 20 months, his cousin 12 months. the advice on all kinds of things changed a lot in the few months between them being tiny babies.
We're grandparents, so we do our best to follow our children's expectations about the way we follow their routines and how we feed their children when were baby sitting/child minding/stepping in to hold the fort. I feel relieved that my grandchildren's parents all appreciate anything and everything we do for them. We aren't left with lists of things they can/can't eat or do, as I know some grandparents are.
I'm a bit handy with a biscuit, whereas my own children remember me being very strict about biscuits/cakes and sweets were reserved for Friday evenings only.

Grantasticpasta Mon 23-Jan-17 20:50:20

Thanks iam64. That's what I needed to hear. I think it's because I do try so hard to be up to date when I get it wrong it really irks me. I think DIL is pretty relaxed. I don't mind breaking the rules a bit with a biscuit and things but I didn't mean to break them with botulism!

Welshwife Mon 23-Jan-17 20:51:21

Does anyone know why you are now not supposed to give children under one boiled water? When mine were small I was told to give cool boiled water as sometimes babies got thirsty. Also for the youngest members of the family they were buying what was basically bottled very weak squash/ diluted juice in the baby food section.

thatbags Mon 23-Jan-17 21:03:56

"Honey can contain spores of a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum, which can germinate in a baby's immature digestive system and cause infant botulism, a rare but potentially fatal illness."

From wiki. It is probably a very small risk but I don't blame any mother for not wanting to risk her baby to it. Once the child is a bit older there is no longer a problem.

thatbags Mon 23-Jan-17 21:06:49

How nice that your DIL said it with a smile, grantastic. At a year old the risk might already be almost over. Does anyone know about that?

mcem Mon 23-Jan-17 21:10:26

Not thick and stupid at all. As long as we're prepared to listen and adapt then we're doing fine.
When DD was pregnant and not eating paté and unpasteurised cheeses her MiL insisted it was all faddy nonsense. Also children need salt! She went on adding salt when asked not to.
Guess who's the one with extremely high blood pressure.

Luckygirl Mon 23-Jan-17 21:15:42

My GC all had honey from quite a young age. I too have never heard of this potential problem.

Ana Mon 23-Jan-17 21:16:59

I didn't know that about honey either, and I think it would have been kinder if your DIL had told you the reason why she didn't want the baby to have honey rather than just tell you off, even with a smile, grantasticpasta.

thatbags Mon 23-Jan-17 21:20:47

DIL might not have known the reason, ana. Or have forgotten. "tellings off" can be kindly done, and this one may have been. There is nothing to indicate otherwise.

Ana Mon 23-Jan-17 21:30:24

She might not have known, or forgotten? confused

NonnaW Mon 23-Jan-17 21:33:02

Why can't they have water? Our GS drinks lots of water, never juice and he is not yet 2.

thatbags Mon 23-Jan-17 21:41:28

There are so many 'rules', so many risks, so much advice, ana, is all I meant. I knew about the honey thing and babies but I'd forgotten the reason. Having looked it up again today I might remember a bit more but all a mother needs to know is it's something to avoid while the baby is wee.

Ana Mon 23-Jan-17 21:47:25

Perhaps it's just as well the OP didn't ask her DIL the reason for the honey ban then.

Grantasticpasta Mon 23-Jan-17 21:53:54

DIL is lovely, it was a passing comment really, and I didn't question it, just looked it up once I got home. With water, it was just because little one wasn't weaning yet and just breast fed. I think water with meals once eating food is gold star isn't it?! I think it's squash and pop that's a no no.

Grantasticpasta Mon 23-Jan-17 21:56:41

Ana - I often find its best not to ask :-)

thatbags Mon 23-Jan-17 22:16:24

When my DD1 was about four months old, still breast fed, she was very restless and uncomfortable-seeming when we were staying at my mother's. My mum suggested giving her a little honey in warm water from a bottle. It was supposed to help her sleep. Old wives' remedy? Who knows? My mum had brought up five healthy kids so I listened.

I did give DD some (a very little) honey and water and she did settle down.

I didn't know about the dangers of honey until quite recently. I suspect it only applies to posh honey because mass-produced honey is more rigorously 'processed' for human consumption. I am happy to be corrected/better informed if someone has more information.

thatbags Mon 23-Jan-17 22:17:51

Just remembered something else... I think honey can act as a laxative. That could be problematic in babies too.