Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Concern about autism in 10 month old

(54 Posts)
Sielha Fri 17-Nov-17 10:33:07

Just wondering if any other grans have had this concern? My 10 month old grandson seems very independent, rarely smiles or interacts with his parents and does not appear to be imitating behaviour. His development is normal in all other aspects - crawled from 6 1/2 months, sits up unaided and babbles (although not a lot). Don’t want to alarm my daughter by saying anything but I know that she is a little bothered too. Any advice? Thanks

Starlady Fri 17-Nov-17 12:06:19

How do you know that dd "is a little bothered too?" Does she mention it? The next time she does, you can suggest having gs tested. If she hasn't said anything, wait till she does.

BlueBelle Fri 17-Nov-17 12:09:25

10 months is no time to be looking for worries or differences Let the little boy develop in his own speed Not everything different means a problem enjoy him and let your daughter enjoy him without looking for something to be wrong

annsixty Fri 17-Nov-17 12:10:09

This seems very early and I think the health visitor is the way to go, casually asking if he doing well in his development.
My GS didn't raise serious concerns until he was in reception class, but all children are different.

Christinefrance Fri 17-Nov-17 12:12:25

I agree with BlueBelle babies develop at such different rates and in different ways. Enjoy your family.

Sielha Fri 17-Nov-17 12:14:08

She said today that she was concerned as she had noticed (as had I) that he didn’t smile at her when she came home after being out about 4 hours. We were babysitting.

Sielha Fri 17-Nov-17 12:16:01

Thank you for your comments. I guess it’s very easy to consult “Dr Google” over anything and get yourself in a state. Don’t remember worrying about my own babies as much as I worry about my grandchildren!

Squiffy Fri 17-Nov-17 12:29:49

Sielha You say that he doesn’t interact, but does this include not making eye contact?

Jane10 Fri 17-Nov-17 12:49:27

Eye contact is not a useful predictor for or against ASD. You say he's babbling. Is it in response to others? Does it seem communicative?

Squiffy Fri 17-Nov-17 13:06:10

Jane10 “Eye contact is not a useful predictor for or against autism” ?? confused.

On its own it may not be, but in conjunction with other symptoms, it certainly could.

Sielha Fri 17-Nov-17 13:12:55

He does make eye contact but only occasionally and the babbling is usually to himself rather than in response.

Fennel Fri 17-Nov-17 13:26:32

It's common for babies' different developmental skills to progress at different rates. My job involved assessment of babies and young children, and uneven profiles were the norm.
Try not to worry, and give the little lad time to develop at his own pace.
"babbling is usually to himself rather than in response."
I think that's fairly normal at 10 months. My eldest used to do that.

nanaK54 Fri 17-Nov-17 13:29:59

Much too early to be worrying about this in my humble opinion

Sielha Fri 17-Nov-17 14:01:53

Thank you for the input everyone x

lemongrove Fri 17-Nov-17 14:25:02

Just keep an eye on him Sielha 10 months old is old enough to think something may not be right, but unlikely to get a diagnosis under the age of three.
Make a note of anthing that you observe for future reference.
We did, and yes, it was autism.

Squiffy Fri 17-Nov-17 14:33:21

Absolutely agree with lemongrove

BlueBelle Fri 17-Nov-17 14:56:09

If you look for things you ll find anything, stop using google stop even thinking about autism he’s a perfectly ok little baby, yes baby, trying to find his way round the big wide world Perhaps he ll never be a smiler some kids are more hesitant some are great smilers and giggles, some kids are serious from small babies some are open and full of life Relax and forget all the scare stories.
I don’t agree at all with last poster stop making notes unless it’s a life saving situation like anaphylactic reaction or high unsolved fevers what will happen will happen your anxiety will pass to both the baby and the babies mother Firget it for now

aquagran Fri 17-Nov-17 15:20:25

I also agree with lemongrove!

M0nica Fri 17-Nov-17 16:56:44

I'm another with lemongrove. I think there is cause to take note and watch. Not smiling when a parent returns after an absence is unusual.

I discussed concerns I had about my elder child with my very good health visitor. when he was about this age. I wasn't even sure what it was that was bothering me. But the health visitor took me seriously and, yes, there were problems but they were minor and sorted out at the appropriate time.

Jane10 Fri 17-Nov-17 17:08:53

Look out for sensory sensitivity.
Does he seem hypersensitive to sound? Does he resist being held/not enjoy cuddles?

Nelliemoser Fri 17-Nov-17 18:07:23

Is his eyesight ok?

Iam64 Fri 17-Nov-17 18:29:22

Another word of support for lemon grove's input.

M0nica Fri 17-Nov-17 18:51:23

Does he turn to face sound. It could be something like deafness.

MargaretX Fri 17-Nov-17 18:53:17

OK so he doesn't take much notice of oher adults BUT does he notice and react to other children? My GS was exactly like yours at 10 months and he still doesn't talk much to other adults and not much to us but he is popular at school and is a normal 14 year old boy. He is very self contained but definitely not autistic.

Give him time to develope and try not to worry. Don't make his mother nervous.

Baggs Fri 17-Nov-17 18:55:15

What counts as hypersensitivity to sound?