Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Practical present ideas for first time daddy to be.

(38 Posts)
Ninarosa Sun 25-Aug-19 17:24:14

I've arranged a sort of alternative joint baby shower for my DIL and son , to include some of us oldies who want to wish them well.
I didn't want to go OTT with my gift in case other guests didn't bring anything ( quite feasible as great grandparents to be not always getting the drift of things ).
I've bought DIL a trendy - don't think that's a very trendy or should I say on trend word these days is it ? -fair isle slipper socks for padding about the hospital ward in.
I can't for the life of me think of a thoughtful gift for my son though. I've provided a hamper of baby related stuff already so would love any thoughts you all may have on this.
It seems since my son left home and subsequently married , I've ground to a halt as to what he likes and needs in the present department.
Yours, one early onset anxious Gran to be

Doodle Sun 25-Aug-19 17:36:52

Earplugs!!
(Only joking in case anyone takes me seriously ?)
Inkless handprint and footprint kit.
Matching t shirt babygro.

Ninarosa Sun 25-Aug-19 17:44:56

I do have some spare earplugs, due to OH's Niagra Falls roar of a snore. Good ideas thanks Doodle

paddyann Sun 25-Aug-19 19:28:49

we bought my son t-shirts with pint and half pint on them ,his was black hers was pink

March Sun 25-Aug-19 19:47:12

Some comfy joggers/lounge wear set or slippers! He's going to be at the hospital so needs to be comfy and ideal for the first few days at home smile

notanan2 Sun 25-Aug-19 19:49:59

Thermos coffee cup to keep hot drinks hot long enough to actually drink them

Coffee

Energy bars

Maybe a nice "man" coloured stretchy sling or ring sling.

A nice back bag to use as a change bag

A million muslin squares

mumofmadboys Sun 25-Aug-19 20:09:44

The book Sixty minute Father by Rob Parsons. Called that because it takes an hour to read. Excellent book.

Ninarosa Sun 25-Aug-19 20:25:51

Loving all your suggestions; feeling a bit of a dunce actually.
I see Rob Parsons also has a sixty minute grandparent book, mumofmadboys... I'm onto it !

MawB Sun 25-Aug-19 22:27:05

He might like this!

GoodMama Mon 26-Aug-19 02:24:58

Such lovely ideas! How exciting for him and thoughtful of you.

SueH49 Mon 26-Aug-19 07:22:52

I gave my son a tee shirt with "This is what an awesome Dad looks like" printed on the front when his first born was due.

I bought it online and it was good quality and a reasonable price.

Solonge Mon 26-Aug-19 09:38:49

A papoose for carrying baby around. Seems to be dads that usually use these...great for when baby won’t sleep and dad takes junior out for a walk.

NotSpaghetti Mon 26-Aug-19 09:39:33

"Dummy" by Matt Coyne.
My son in law isn't a massive reader but loved this. My daughter (who reads a lot) loved it too. It's funny and sharp (especially the first half) and reminds a dad that they aren't alone.
Check out his blog. Or see him speak about the book on YouTube.

www.goodreads.com/book/show/33562691-dummy

Jan51 Mon 26-Aug-19 12:55:54

Haynes, yes the people who publish car manuals, publish a manual explaining babies and one for Dads. Light hearted but full of useful info. I think they are available from Amazon.

notanan2 Mon 26-Aug-19 13:02:57

Most dads I know hate the patronising "dads are idiots who dont know the difference between beer and babies" books & teeshirts etc and read normal parenting books.

That mentality is outdated and does not apply to most decent dads.

notanan2 Mon 26-Aug-19 13:04:28

Book wise this is good

www.onbuy.com/gb/parenting-books/calmer-easier-happier-parenting~c2978~p1080704/

grandtanteJE65 Mon 26-Aug-19 14:06:45

A CD with lullabies?

jura2 Mon 26-Aug-19 14:07:40

Vouchers for many hours of babysitting - the best present- ever.

notanan2 Mon 26-Aug-19 14:09:39

People dont use CDs now unless they are hipster collectors wink

A white noise machine, although also a bit redundant now with streaming

GoodMama Mon 26-Aug-19 14:22:34

Be carful about "vouchers" for babysitting. The last thing a new parent wants is someone trying to separate them from their newborn.

I understand the thought, but to a lot of new parents this will come across as very self serving and can offend.

notanan2 Mon 26-Aug-19 14:28:25

Was gonna say the same GoodMama but didnt wanna be the threads moaning minnie (since already said to avoid the "dads are idiots who love beer" stuff)

But yes. Its "too soon" for babysitting to be mentioned for many new parents. Save that for the first christmas or generally 6 months +.

Mamo Mon 26-Aug-19 16:40:22

I quite agree, Notanan when are we ever going to move forward...... my DS and DIL are due second baby shortly and he did more or less 50% of the childcare since the first three years ago! He would hate to stereotyped with “man colored” slings or “hopeless dad” books!!

notanan2 Mon 26-Aug-19 16:48:51

I suggested the "man sling" but I think that doesnt imply that he isnt capable. Its nice to have 2 so it can be left adjusted to each parents size. A stretchy sling for newborns is about £20 and you can get nice plain navy etc ones that dont look like theyre just "for mums" IYKWIM

Ninarosa Mon 26-Aug-19 16:51:40

Maybe one of those little succulent plants ( possibly faux as I don't think it will get watered ), with a card luggage tag saying if ever they need any help whatsoever, please don't be afraid to ask ? A little more open ended for them.
There ! I just had an idea of my own! Nope, no more inside there.

4allweknow Mon 26-Aug-19 17:20:59

Great ideas already mentioned. Sure you will find something he will like.