Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

giving birth to first child at home

(123 Posts)
Pinkhousegirl Sun 23-Feb-20 09:48:13

I wonder if anyone can advise me. My daughter has decided to have her first baby (and my first grandchild) at home. I have tried to avoid tabloid horror stories, but have looked at medical research, notably the NHS one from 2011. Among other things, it says that 45% of first time mothers who have elected for a home birth end up in hospital, and the mortality rate among babies is twice that of hospital births. She lives in London and is being monitored by a major teaching hospital which is, disregarding wait times, about 30' by ambulance.

I cannot talk to her about this, as she is very determined, and, obviously, I do not want to increase her anxiety levels with horror stories, which, rationally, I know are rare.

Have any of you experienced the birth of a first baby at home - either your own or your child's. I would really welcome some comfort.

Please no horror stories - I can find them online!

many thanks

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 09:56:27

Both my brother and myself were intended to be home births. Complications and whisked to hospital during the birth. Born there.

If it was safe in the 1960s with less medical support, even if there are problems, the transfer to hospital should mean they'd be safe enough.

Bibbity Sun 23-Feb-20 10:09:35

I didn’t get a home birth but only due to DH being absolutely terrified.
But I did research. At the first sign of any problems they will summon an ambulance. They won’t wait and see like they would in a hospital. She will have constant midwife care which she wouldn’t have in a hospital so any changes will be seen very quickly and as she will be calmer and more confident at home she is more likely to labour better.
There are home birth support groups on Facebook that your daughter can join with amazing support and advice.
Is she thinking of hiring a pool?

Eglantine21 Sun 23-Feb-20 10:12:16

There’s so much technology and medical knowledge now that medical staff can foretell if there are going to be any difficulties, so home birth is really very safe. Those 45% that wanted home birth but had hospital births are mostly those who were told towards the end of the pregnancy “I’m sorry, but home birth is not for you.” Not people who were rushed off in an ambulance!

I understand your worry about the 30 minute travel time but again, the midwife will be monitoring the birthing process and will arrange the transfer to hospital before it becomes a dash.

The mortality figures can be frightening but again these will include a high proportion of those who have not received any medical attention during pregnancy, for various reasons, often cultural.

And stories make the tabloids because they are a sensation not a norm.

It’s always a mixture of anxiety and joy ?

eazybee Sun 23-Feb-20 10:15:05

My friend had both her babies at home, not through choice; safely delivered but both times it ruined the mattress.
Is it guaranteed that a partner will be with her? Midwives are frequently delayed, as they were in my friends's case.

MiniMoon Sun 23-Feb-20 10:49:45

My first grandchild was born in hospital. Everything went well but at two weeks old she developed a streptococcal skin infection, the nurse called it burnt baby syndrome. She had to be hospitalised and given intravenous antibiotics. Fortunately she recovered but since it was passed to her at birth by a carrier of the infection it put my daughter off having any other children in hospital.
My next two grandsons were born at home without any trouble at all.

nettyandmasey Sun 23-Feb-20 11:00:26

My daughter had first baby in hospital, but next two at home. Her treatment was first class.both times she had to go to hospital after delivery for stitches, but for her it was brilliant.

GrannyLaine Sun 23-Feb-20 11:05:36

Pinkhousegirl firstly congratulations on your forthcoming grandchild, how exciting for you! And good for your daughter on choosing to birth her first baby at home. As Egalantine21 quite rightly says the mortality rates you have read include unplanned and concealed births where there is no medical or midwifery input. Read a little more widely - anything by the lovely midwife/academic Sara Wickham is excellent and grounded in firm evidence. Also remember that all planned home births will be attended by two midwives, so the care ratio is significantly better than in hospital. My babies were born at home, my daughters chose to have their babies at home and I have delivered many, many babies at home. But I DO remember when the first two of my grandchildren were due, I had a real wobble of confidence just praying that everything would be okay for them. It passed, and they did beautifully. I hope this helps

Jane10 Sun 23-Feb-20 11:10:57

Hmmmm. Given staffing issues can 2 midwives really be justified for however long a labour might be? I'd be embarrassed at the self indulgence of a home birth these days. Have the baby in hospital and be discharged home straight afterwards would seem to be a reasonable compromise.

Grannybags Sun 23-Feb-20 11:17:34

My Mum had my four older siblings at home between 1940 and 1947 including a breach birth with no gas and air! Don't think that would be allowed now.

I wanted to have my second baby at home but because I'd had complications with the first it had to be hospital

Mythbirtthedragon Sun 23-Feb-20 11:28:38

Not a first birth at home for me, as we were moving house at the time, but it was something I’d have preferred. The second time round with a supportive community midwife, my son was born at home although the consultant made a few noises about risks. (By then I was 39). I was free to move around, with the midwives using their skills to monitor me rather than machines, my partner, daughter, step daughter were comfortably downstairs as I wanted no one near me and there were absolutely no complications and plenty of cups of tea; I felt a sense of absolute peace afterwards. I think as long as your daughter trusts her maternity team and they do her, things will be fine.

GrannyLaine Sun 23-Feb-20 11:34:56

Jane 10
^ I'd be embarrassed at the self indulgence of a home birth^

Would you also be embarrassed at the self indulgence of the services of an anaesthetist and the cost of an epidural anaesthetic for a normal spontaneous labour I wonder?

Jane10 Sun 23-Feb-20 11:41:38

Nope. They're there anyway. Other mothers can benefit from their time and presence as required. They might not even be needed but then again they might. I remain of the opinion that home births in 21st century are a middle class fad. Of course there's no reason why such preferences can't be met by employing a private midwife just as people can avoid NHS hospitals by going private.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 23-Feb-20 11:44:05

Your daughter has made her decision, don’t fall out with her before the baby is even born, support her and help, don’t even think about trying to change her mind.

Sadly there are plenty of births that go wrong in hospital.

cornergran Sun 23-Feb-20 11:48:45

I had my first baby at home in 1975. My choice, I felt perfectly safe. A midwife and a student had been allocated to me. They sat downstairs when not needed and absorbed the constant flow of tea my Dad provided. It had been made clear if there was any concern, no matter how small, an ambulance would be summoned. All went well. Number two arrived in hospital as we were way over the due date. It was disappointing but I saw the sense, we were home the next morning. My community midwife arrived soon after the birth, she had hoped to be there for the delivery but was busy elsewhere. I’ve no idea about relative costing of home vs hospital delivery, my sense was of using many more resources in hospital.

Jane10 Sun 23-Feb-20 12:07:03

The most expensive resource is staffing costs.
Chances are this expectant mother may change her mind once the reality sets in! We have 2 midwives in the family with 7 children between them. All born in hospital with discharge home after safe delivery.

JuliaM Sun 23-Feb-20 12:26:42

I booked a home birth for my middle daughter, but she was well overdue and l had to be induced in the local Maternity home. However, my Delivery was Community led, my Midwife who had been there for me throughout my previous pregnancies doing my anti-natal checkups and postnatal care came into the Maternity home to deliver me, and l went home 6 hours later. My last two babies though were both Breech babies, and born in a large consultant led Maternity unit by C-Section, l felt more like l had gone into hospital for an operation rather than to give birth, it was horrible, and l could not wait to return to the peace and quiet of.my own home.

Cunco Sun 23-Feb-20 12:35:54

This is not really an area of my expertise but my daughter had all 3 children at home in a birthing pool. She was attended by mid-wives who were very well trained. My daughter was told that, if there were complications, an ambulance would get her to the local hospital fast; but it was not needed. My daughter could have had her children in hospital but made the choice to have them at home.

Hithere Sun 23-Feb-20 13:01:40

Your dd has made an informed decision - with the ok of her medical team.

That is all that counts

SueDonim Sun 23-Feb-20 13:31:55

Congratulations on the imminent arrival of your first grandchild!

Would the services of a doula be affordable to your family? They’re not medical attendants but are well-versed in supporting pregnant and postnatal woman. They will also accompany you to hospital, if required. doula.org.uk/

Pinkhousegirl Sun 23-Feb-20 13:32:28

thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. I feel much assured, and, of course, you are right that, at the slightest hint of something being not quite right, she will go to hospital. When I was pregnant I found it a time of high anxiety, and I'm afraid impending grnadmotherhood makes me just as twitchy.

thank you again, all of you

Grammaretto Sun 23-Feb-20 14:03:50

Not my first but I had a home birth 40 years ago. It was the best possible experience and we were within 30 mins of the maternity hospital.
Not so sure nowadays. That hospital is no longer and
DDiL gave birth to #2 in the carpark of the big hospital.
They didn't get there in time. Partly because when in labour with her first, she was sent home because she was too early.

Another relation gave birth prematurely in the ambulance .

Another friend was in hospital but had complications, needed an emergency section but there was no anaesthetist!

Oh dear you don't want horror stories but there's something still to be said for staying put.

Good luck to your DD and congratulations all round.

Newmom101 Sun 23-Feb-20 14:14:49

Jane10 I went to a birthing class (ran by an NHS midwife) a few weeks ago. She said that an epidural costs the NHS around £3000 each time, in terms of the time required by an anaesthetist in doing the relevant paperwork and administering it and then the cost of the medication and equipment itself.

The anaesthetist is there primarily for c-sections and instrumental deliveries requiring anaesthetic in theatre. They only go and give epidurals if they are available.

It costs the NHS less for a straightforward home birth, as it’s only midwife time required and the woman can choose to rent the birth pool etc herself. That being said, I’m opting for a midwife-les unit for birth. I want some pain relief options.

And I don’t think home births are a middle class fad, I’m in a working class area, the midwives encourage them and I know many women who’ve had them. To answer the OP, those women have had no issues, a couple were transferred for stitches after but mom and baby were both fine and well.

GagaJo Sun 23-Feb-20 14:15:10

Don't forget, at home, you're not costing the NHS a bed.

agnurse Sun 23-Feb-20 14:34:27

I used to work in a rural hospital. We were classed as Level 1 with C-section capabilities (translation: bare minimum for a safe hospital birth). Pretty much all of the ladies I cared for fell into one of three categories: could have safely birthed at home, would have needed hospital but with time to transfer, or would have been a poor candidate for home birth in the first place.

My niece was born at home, quite safely, with three midwives present. I had no issue with it.

One thing you might suggest to your daughter: if she'd like to give birth in her bed, she may like to use a plastic shower curtain or tarp to protect the mattress. You make your bed the normal way, then put a plastic sheet on top, then make it again on top of the plastic sheet. This way, when the baby is born, she and her husband can just strip the bed, put the dirty sheets on to wash, throw out the plastic, and she has a nice clean bed underneath. No muss, no fuss, and she doesn't need to worry about changing the bed or ruining the mattress.