Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Estrangement from grandchildren. How do you feel? Be a part of making history by contributing in the creation of a quilt.

(11 Posts)
Asiwisdom Wed 06-May-20 12:10:28

Dear Grandparents, would anyone like to contribute to a quilt representing how you feel about estrangement? During these times of lock down some grandparents may well have been touched by the feeling of being alienated from their grandchildren. This is something that has been happening to over a million grandparents worldwide, some who may have never even met their grandchild. In these strange times many who are complaining of not being able to see their grandchildren or cuddle them don't realise how many of us are in this situation all the time.

Would you like to make a square (or more) to contribute to a quilt that will be sewn together? The theme can be anything that represents how you feel about the estrangement from your grandchildren. For example: broken hearts, a child's handprint, missing parts of a family tree, a broken daisy chain, etc. Please do not design anything that would identify yourself or your grandchildren. If you hate sewing, maybe you could use fabric pens/paints, or iron-on fabric. If your skills run to them, embroidery, needlepoint, etc., would be an enhancement. However you chose to do, it will contribute to the whole quilt and collectively it will look great......so don't worry if sewing is not "your thing".

Instructions: Please use cotton or poly/cotton for the background square. This is in order for the patches to have similar weight in order to join up with ease. A scrap of an old sheet would be ideal.

Please have the square measure 7" x 7" (just under 18cm x 18cm). Please don't take your design right to the border because it will get lost as we will need a perimeter to create seams when sewing together. Once joined up, the squares will be 6" x 6" (or just over 15cm X 15cm). Most importantly, please be aware that by submitting a square you are agreeing to it being displayed in public and also photographed by local and national media.

Please message me if you would like to contribute and I will put you in touch the sewer of the quilt. Thank you so much.

Wibby Thu 07-May-20 10:48:38

There is a big difference between 'estrangement' and not being able to see ones grankids during this pandemic!

Purplepixie Thu 07-May-20 10:54:22

I think that is a great idea and I will certainly be getting in touch. X

Purplepixie Thu 07-May-20 12:53:12

Please let me have the details and I'll be getting on with one or two today. X

Smileless2012 Thu 07-May-20 18:45:25

What a lovely idea. I'd love to contribute but have nothing in the house to work with so will have to wait until there's a shop where I can buy what I need.

Is there a time limit? Will post lock down be too late?

Asiwisdom Mon 11-May-20 16:18:04

There is no time limit at the moment, given our current situation I think whenever you are able send in what you can. When you are ready let me know and I will private message you the details of where to send.

OutsideDave Wed 13-May-20 18:50:09

Goodness. Wouldn’t your time be better spent making masks?

Rolypoly55 Sun 31-May-20 17:51:44

What a lovely idea, we went talking about masks outside dave and by the way I spent the first few weeks making headbands, washbags etc, like a lot of us on here. Lovely idea

Namsnanny Mon 01-Jun-20 01:35:40

I'd be interested too!

Goodness OutsideDave I can multi task, grin

Namsnanny Mon 01-Jun-20 01:36:29

Good for you Rolypoly55 smile

KingLarry88 Tue 09-Jun-20 19:25:40

I would like to talk to someone about grandparents right