Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Nightmare DIL

(130 Posts)
Granincharge Thu 25-Jun-20 16:20:21

Hi everyone, I was directed here by my friend who I regularly vent my frustrations on. It’s such a difficult situation and I was hoping for some advice...

My son and DIL have been married 7 years.. together double that. We’ve never got on amazingly but have always been ok, civil and happy to see each other.

Since they’ve had my 3 grandchildren, I feel increasingly pushed out. We used to live 6 hours away (but have moved closer to my daughter and so are now 1.5 hours away from them. ) We have strict rules they set out for us:
-We are no longer allowed to stay the night. Apparently there’s not enough room .. The room we used to sleep in they’ve move the eldest son into as soon as baby 3 came . When my husband told DIL that the kids wouldn’t need their own rooms immediately, she was rude to him and they got rid of the double bed anyway.

-They won’t stay the night at ours - they say it’s too much hassle bringing everything - they usually just come a few hours for lunch .. that’s it!!
Thanks
- We’re not allowed to babysit - this comes after we babysat my grandson and DIL and my son claim we got drunk (they went through their recycling and counted the empty bottles And exaggerated how much we’d drunk, making us out to be irresponsible for having a few glasses of wine when he was asleep!)

- DIL refuses to come on holidays with us. We want a big holiday with family friends but DIL says she doesn’t want to take her kids away with people she barely knows which I think is really rude. She knows them and doesn’t make a great deal of effort. As a large family we’re really sociable and she’s not - This can be quite embarrassing at family events to be honest.

-Dil is just awfully possessive over the kids. I feel like I can’t do anything. They’re not allowed to do or eat certain things

-Christmas and other occasions are regimental - we are allowed to visit at this time for this long. When my kids were young we spent a week away at relatives Over Christmas and I would love for my grandchildren to wake up in my house on Christmas morning to relive some of this but we’re being denied this with the offer of going to theirs for lunch ( then having to drive home is no drinking), them coming to our house but only for lunch so they can then go see her parents , or seeing them Christmas Eve or Boxing Day instead.

I just feel Me and my husband are being treated like second class citizens and I haven’t been able to recreate any things I did with my family when my kids were growing up (big long family get togethers etc )

- not allowed to put photos on social media!! We have a couple of times where you can’t see the children much and have been told off by son (obviously controlled by DIL)

- My son got really annoyed when he found out 2 years ago that we paid for my daughter’s wedding (as is tradition) But not his. He Claimed we always treat them unfairly which is not the case and this has definitely come from DIL
The latest now is the social distancing with covid 19. My DIL is loving denying me my cuddles with my grandchildren!!
Any advice? Apart from counting down the days til my daughter gives me more grandchildren?

Thank you!

Tangerine Thu 25-Jun-20 16:26:21

I suppose they want to create their own memories for the children, instead of e.g. having the children wake up in your house on Christmas Day.

In your position, I'd say nothing or you risk not being allowed to see the grandchildren at all.

lemongrove Thu 25-Jun-20 16:27:40

Are you serious ?! hmm
If so, this is the sort of thing that gets MIL’s a bad rep.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 25-Jun-20 16:28:22

Well I am sorry to say their children, their rules. Why should they have a life that YOU have created, let them live their own lives instead of recreating the life you had with your children when they were younger. Your daughter may well feel the same. Just be happy that you are able to see them and are in contact with them, many parent aren't. Sorry for being so hard.

HAZBEEN Thu 25-Jun-20 16:28:58

Re read your post as if it were by someone else. Can you see the common thread? Its all about you, what you want. The children are theirs not yours, their life is theirs not yours. And as for drinking when you have little ones in your care, give me strength woman!

HAZBEEN Thu 25-Jun-20 16:30:50

And by the way not hugging was NOT your DILs rule it was for the good of us all by the government. We have all missed cuddles from our grandkids.

lemongrove Thu 25-Jun-20 16:31:10

Hazbeen grin

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 25-Jun-20 16:31:51

Words fail me and that doesn’t often happen

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 25-Jun-20 16:32:50

We aren’t allowed to say what we think about this post are we ?

lemongrove Thu 25-Jun-20 16:33:45

I think the very hot weather and too much time has a lot to do with it ......

Pantglas2 Thu 25-Jun-20 16:34:00

You’ll need to take a massive step back on this Granincharge, because you’re not in charge where they, or any other of your offspring is concerned.

They do things their way and you need to accept that with a smile and possibly be granted more or it could lead to an awful lot less than you get now - and then you’ll really have something to whine about!

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 25-Jun-20 16:34:27

Every day is a school holiday at the moment for pupils of a certain age

Trisha57 Thu 25-Jun-20 16:36:25

A few things stand out here. One is your online name, which says it all! You also say that "Since then they've had MY 3 grandchildren", and that you're counting the days till your daughter gives YOU more grandchildren. It seems that you see your grandchildren as YOUR property! Has it never occurred to you that your son's family may want to start some traditions of their own? Obviously not. It is not unreasonable, with three children, for the oldest to have a room of their own. You are only 90 minutes away, so if you can't stay for the night it's not the end of the world. I can see why your DIL has been forced into putting her foot down - so would I in her position!! I'm sorry but you sound thoroughly self-centred and controlling. Perhaps if you tried to consider their family as a unit instead of an extension of you and your husband, maybe they would soften a little. It's a shame, because your relationship with your grandchildren will suffer if you don't change your attitude and that would be so sad for them and for you.

Judy54 Thu 25-Jun-20 16:41:58

Dear Granincharge your name says it all. You say since they've had my 3 grandchildren when actually they are their children. As others have said please re-read what you have written and think again about what you are asking. Their children their rules.

welbeck Thu 25-Jun-20 16:42:29

this is a reverse, right ?

lemongrove Thu 25-Jun-20 16:44:32

welbeck

this is a reverse, right ?

It’s certainly...something.?

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 25-Jun-20 16:45:05

Yes certainly something........

Grannynannywanny Thu 25-Jun-20 16:45:20

Sorry Granincharge. There are a few points in your post that are making me side with your dil. First and foremost she didn’t give birth to your gc she gave birth to their children. I’m a gran of 4 and involved in their lives, lots of babysitting and sleepovers etc.

The alcohol while babysitting is a complete no no for me. I think your son and dil were perfectly justified in being annoyed even if it was only a couple of glasses.

If you were the sole adults in charge what would you do if one of the children needed medical attention eg taken to emergency GP or A&E? You would be over the limit for driving.

Aroundwego Thu 25-Jun-20 16:46:14

Maybe the ops recycling bin need checking for empty bottles ?

SueDonim Thu 25-Jun-20 16:46:37

My reply to the OP’s request for ‘Any advice?’ would probably be deleted by Gransnet!

MerylStreep Thu 25-Jun-20 16:48:32

There was a clue in the user name ?

Grannynannywanny Thu 25-Jun-20 16:49:38

I have a feeling I’ve just taken the reply to a wind up post

Granincharge Thu 25-Jun-20 16:50:03

I have to say I am baffled by some of these replies. I was after some support but perhaps I have come to the wrong place. What is a reverse? I will try and think about them more but I still can’t help but feel I am being treated very unfairly as a grandmother

tickingbird Thu 25-Jun-20 16:55:29

Oh dear. If this is a genuine post then I pity your DIL. They are her children, not yours. I can’t blame her for not wanting to go on holiday with your extended family. She married your son, not his extended family.

Aroundwego Thu 25-Jun-20 16:57:55

Your job as the parent is to raise your child into a decent human being. Your job as a grandparent is to hope you did a good enough job of being a parent. Not to make demands. Also dils always get the blame when shhh most of the time we take the lead from our husbands.