Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Toddler Refuses To Wear Shoes

(43 Posts)
Naninka Fri 07-Aug-20 00:39:39

My 2.4 yr old granson refuses to walk in shoes. Shoes were £35 and fitted correctly at well-known store. He will wear his old shoes which were bought before Christmas but they are too small for him now.
If we can get them on him (screams) he will not stand or walk in them. Will crawl, kneel, etc.
It looks as though the shoes fit OK.
Any advice? He's missing out on outside fun. ?

NotSpaghetti Fri 07-Aug-20 00:46:47

My granddaughter is funny with her shoes but now she has shoes AND sandals she can have a choice, and loves it! On sunny days she has a choice “shoes or sandals” and on rainy ones “shoes or wellies”.

I’d probably take them back to the shop if lurched recently though - just to see if they really do fit...

GagaJo Fri 07-Aug-20 00:47:46

I think it’s the age. My GS is exactly the same age and has started selecting his own clothes, refusing point blank to wear some things. Currently he will not wear trousers or shorts.

Naninka Fri 07-Aug-20 00:52:10

So, just wilfulness?
Could be. He was a bit weird about wearing a coat in the winter.
He's had a new sister, arriving end of lockdown (3rd July) so maybe connection there?
Worth taking back to shop as 1st poster suggested too. Yes.

Oopsminty Fri 07-Aug-20 00:54:38

My son was horrified when he first put on shorts. He was about 18 months. Sat down, desperately tugging them down to cover his legs. Very modest child!

Maybe if his old shoes disappeared it might be a help?

Good luck!

welbeck Fri 07-Aug-20 00:55:11

give them to a charity shop.
find some sturdy sandals, with more room for growth, let him choose the ones he likes., or at least feel that he has chosen them. and don't spend so much. many parents go to clarks for feet to be measured then find that there is nothing suitable in stock that day, then go down the road to shoezone, and get something reasonable for a few months' wear.

www.shoezone.com/Products/Red-Fish-Boys-Blue-Easy-Fasten-Sandal-29608

i'm thinking something like this maybe. but this one may be too big. good luck. never force a child to wear uncomfortable shoes, their feet and toes are so delicate, can easily get malformed, as i know with my bent toe.
who is more likely to know whether they shoes are comfortable or not, the person wearing them, or parents because they paid a lot, or shop because they measured him.

Naninka Fri 07-Aug-20 01:04:47

They look lovely. Will send link to DiL. Thank you.

welbeck Fri 07-Aug-20 01:19:10

it's good to have toes covered/guarded, even with sandals, as they so easily get trodden on. that's why i say sturdy sandals.
i know whereof i speak...

V3ra Fri 07-Aug-20 01:57:10

The four children I'm currently looking after, ages from 2 to 8 years, take their shoes off as soon as they arrive at my house (their choice) and spend all day in and out of the garden barefoot. My garden is paved and the house has laminate flooring.
I'm a firm believer in feet and toes having contact with the ground, room to flex their muscles and develop their balance. Today they've only put their shoes on when it was time to go home!

Hithere Fri 07-Aug-20 02:11:02

My dd gets obsessed with her pair of shoes, or pjs, etc, so I buy the same item in different sizes.

BibiSarah Fri 07-Aug-20 05:26:26

Naninka, I’m wondering if your grandson has some sensory related issue going on. It was my first thought when you explained about the new shoes Then when you mentioned the old shoes and his winter coat it made me suspect something sensory even more.

Could the new shoes perhaps be swapped for something resembling the old shoes in weight and texture/feel? And this winter could he perhaps given a different weight/texture of coat or perhaps even wear more layers rather than one coat?

There’s lots of info regarding sensory issues on line and a quick google may shed more light on It for you.

kittylester Fri 07-Aug-20 07:47:13

We used to spend all winter trying to get DS2 into long trousers and all summer into shorts. Some children don't like change.

I dont think he is being 'wilful'.

travelsafar Fri 07-Aug-20 07:53:43

Maybe try to get him to choose some trainers instead of shoes.There are so many out now with their favourite characters printed on them they may appeal to him. Good luck.

PaperMonster Fri 07-Aug-20 20:49:14

As bibisarah says, it could be sensory. Not sure I can offer any words of advice as my daughter’s sensory issues started when she was older and able to tell us the problem.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 07-Aug-20 21:22:04

He is 2! His first bit of taking back control??

Just a phase, be something else next year

MrsEggy Fri 07-Aug-20 21:26:37

Give him a choice "shoes or wellies?" then he'll feel he's in charge!

Jaxjacky Fri 07-Aug-20 21:52:58

My son, when a similar age, insisted on wearing wellies and underpants only. Just went with it, soon passed.

sodapop Sat 08-Aug-20 08:49:18

Don't over think this Naninka just the usual two year old wanting to be independent.
MrsEggy has the right idea.

Naninka Sat 08-Aug-20 10:41:07

Thank you so much for all your help, fellow GPs.
For all his shoe-hating, he remains a bright, bubbly, beautiful and bi-lingual (!) little boy!
Love him to absolute bits!!

Callistemon Sat 08-Aug-20 11:01:57

My DGD seems to hate wearing shoes and she's a fair bit older than him. Always think she's going to tread on something sharp in the garden.

25Avalon Sat 08-Aug-20 11:06:58

You can get trainers not only with characters on but ones that flash which he might find more appealing. If you go online you can get full information on how to measure your child’s feet so you needn’t go to the most expensive shop.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 08-Aug-20 11:22:41

My small GD is also not going to wear her shoes out. When she comes to me she is normally bare footed and will wander the garden and drive happily with no shoes. DD's house has gravel round it and GD happily walks on it. She is 4 now and has been like that since she could walk.

JackyB Sat 08-Aug-20 13:05:35

My DS2 was a notorious shoe-shunner. He went barefoot to school even in the sixth form. His one-year-old daughter is a typical girl, though. She loves all types of shoes.

Sorry, nothing to do with the thread subject, really.

Sounds like a typical case of "Terrible Twos". It will pass.

crazyH Sat 08-Aug-20 13:20:26

Talking of gravel - what's it about kids'feet ? My little grandkids can walk on gravel as if they are polystyrene ?

lemongrove Sat 08-Aug-20 13:37:39

BibiSarah

Naninka, I’m wondering if your grandson has some sensory related issue going on. It was my first thought when you explained about the new shoes Then when you mentioned the old shoes and his winter coat it made me suspect something sensory even more.

Could the new shoes perhaps be swapped for something resembling the old shoes in weight and texture/feel? And this winter could he perhaps given a different weight/texture of coat or perhaps even wear more layers rather than one coat?

There’s lots of info regarding sensory issues on line and a quick google may shed more light on It for you.

That’s what I think too.