Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

My 4 year old grandson seems to have turned against me.

(18 Posts)
buddy1954 Sun 13-Jun-21 09:52:40

Hello.
My 4 year old greandsons attitude has changed against me and Im starting to get a little concerned. My husband and I childmind him and his 2 year old sister one day a week and for the past few weeks I have noticed a change in him towards me. I know hes only 4 but wonder if its something I should be worried about and nip it in the bud or hope he grows out of it. When he is dropped off in the mornings he comes in and just glares at me, never says good morning or give me a hug like he used to. And when he is leaving its the same. He is mad about his grandad and they do lovely things together. he takes him out on his own most of the time while I look after his sister. I believe its because he has been on his own with us for so long and how he has to share us with his sister and he doesnt like it. I dont know what to do. Do i just ignore it or do I need to bring it up now with his parents and see if we can sort it out?

ExD Sun 13-Jun-21 10:05:15

I know just how you feel and I hope the little boy grows out of it soon.
For some reason my granddaughter suddenly decided she didn't like me - and she still doesn't now she's married with her own children.
She never visits me, even when invited, and I have seen my great grandchildren only once since covid started (at a wedding). The youngest doesn't know who I am.
It breaks my heart.
I have tried to talk to her about it but she says I'm imagining it. She sees the other great-grandmother regularly.
Sorry to depress you further, I hope someone has an answer.

buddy1954 Sun 13-Jun-21 10:09:01

Aw thank you for your reply and Im sorry this has happened to you. I pray to god its just a phase with mine, it would kill me if I didnt see him or he disrespected me.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 13-Jun-21 10:42:10

Maybe he sees Grandad as ‘his’ and you as his sisters?

Couldn’t you all go out together sometimes rather than do things separately? Or spend time with him crafting or baking? And let your DH see to his sister?

I’m sure it’s a phase, I guess he will soon be going to school soon , so I’m sure he’ll be looking forward to seeing you at weekends and holidays.

Namsnanny Sun 13-Jun-21 10:47:09

Ask him.
In a child centred way, at a relaxed time, ask him if you've upset him, because you want him to be happy and you care for him.

AmberSpyglass Sun 13-Jun-21 11:33:05

You’re far, far too clingy and he’s probably picking up on that.

Madgran77 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:44:21

You’re far, far too clingy and he’s probably picking up on that.

This may or may not be true but the information given in the OP does not suggest this atall!

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 13-Jun-21 12:01:47

This sounds normal to me, I wouldn’t worry. I’ve looked after grandchildren, and they do change...ebb in and out with how they behave. Our children would have been the same, but we wouldn’t have noticed as much, being busy. Sometimes I’m ‘ flavour of the month’. Sometimes it’s grandad.
By all means, mention it to his parents if you feel you’d like to do something. I personally wouldn’t ask him, it may worry/ confuse him, but that’s just me.
I’m sure everything’s fine. Hope you can keep doing it.

Newatthis Sun 13-Jun-21 14:09:27

Maybe he sees grandad as his and you, grandma to his sister and could be feeling a little left out. Why don’t you both take him for a walk or have some one-to-one time with him. He’s probably craving your attention, bad behaviour in children is usually attentionSeeking for whatever reason.

Hithere Sun 13-Jun-21 14:29:19

He is 4, it is normal

Do not make it more than what it really is or then it will be a problem.

Consistent child care also helps- where do they go the other 4 days a week?

B9exchange Sun 13-Jun-21 14:38:07

I do feel for you, it is hurtful even though I am sure that is not his intention. Perhaps you and your husband could swap over for a bit, let him get used to changing the nappies, and you take GS out to the park, buy him an icecream, do things together. It doesn't take much to turn a little one, but they do come back. One GD age 4 came into our bedroom when DH was changing his shirt, she saw his grey, hairy chest, and refused to have anything to do with him for some months, saying she didn't like Grandad! She now adores him and gives the most wonderful cuddles.

Warele Sun 13-Jun-21 14:40:46

I have tried to talk to her about it but she says I'm imagining it. She sees the other great-grandmother regularly.

M0nica Sun 13-Jun-21 14:43:29

He is a normal 4 year old. he goes on and off people. My DGS was like that at that age, he would body swerve around me to get his grandfather and he had no interest at all in me. He grew out of it. He is now 10 and we get on like a house on fire.

You cannot 'nip in the bud', whether someone, even a DGS, likes you or not. Just ignore it and treat him as you always treat him.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:48:01

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned his little sister,

He is jealous, thinking that she is getting all your attention.

Can you manage things so you, your husband and the grandson can do something nice together while his sister sleeps?

So he realises you still love him. Or doesn't his sister sleep?

Elizabeth1 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:49:34

Just you keep giving him lots and lots of hugs he’ll come around

buddy1954 Tue 15-Jun-21 08:55:17

Thank you all for your wonderful comments and advice which I have certainly taken on board. I went out for the day yesterday with his mother and sister and we had a wonderful day. He was exactly like he used to be with me so I am realising its when his grandad is about. They are so close now that he is getting older and grandad does very exciting things with saws and hammers etc so I suppose I can see the attraction. Anyway, I am feeling a lot better after your reassuring comments and hope he grows out of it soon.
thanks again to everybody.

Toadinthehole Tue 15-Jun-21 10:25:48

Just been reading this thread, and glad to see things have improved OP. I agree, children blow hot and cold as they get older. I have four grandsons and three granddaughters. Without any prompting whatsoever, the grandsons definitely veer towards their grandad, and the girls to me.
Dads/ grandads are fun, we are the nurturers. Keep having fun.?

buddy1954 Fri 18-Jun-21 21:46:37

thank you so much