Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Looking after a 2 yr old and a 1 yr old 2 days a week

(16 Posts)
Notjustaprettyface Sun 28-Nov-21 20:42:34

Hello
I wonder if any of you have practical tips on how to look after my 2 grandchildren 2 days a week ?
I am really keen to do it to help my daughter out as she is going back to work next week but , at the same time , would welcome any ideas / tips you may have to keep the little fellows entertained/ happy
Thank you !

Grannyflower Sun 28-Nov-21 21:37:32

How wonderful for you. I took early retirement to look after 10 month old 3 days per week. She is now 3.5. Baby no. 2 due in April. Do you want have a garden, I bought 2nd hand slide, ride on cars/ toys etc. Sand pit/water tray table. Inflatable paddling pool, big bag of plastic balls. Bought a garden shed to turn into play room, toy store. Used hose pipe etc on warmer days. Inside, wooden blocks, play kitchen etc, all from Facebook market place. Walks in the woods, beach, park etc. Plus local playgroups, mum and toddler groups etc. Enjoy your special time

Luckygirl3 Sun 28-Nov-21 22:22:38

I mace the choice to say that I would only look after one at a time when they were pre-school age. My DD was fine with that. She knew that each child would get special attention for those days and felt it was good for them to have some time apart.

It is very hard work looking after two small ones; and, as I am discovering day by day, we are not getting any younger. It is surprising how much harder the demands of 2 small children feel when you are at grandma age. I felt that the arrangement we made was the right one.

GagaJo Sun 28-Nov-21 23:25:54

Lots of things that they enjoy playing with. Duplo is great. My GS started on it at about 1 and still loves it, so it's a good investment. Play dough. Drawing. Lots of books for stories.

Some people are sniffy about TV for toddlers. But there are lots of nice educational programmes around. Yakka Dee for the little one, to encourage talking. Sesame Street (find it online, on You Tube) for the older one.

A sand pit would be a great idea. My GS will spend hours in the sand. OR alternatively, a water table. Very popular. If they are bored, a bath is also a good playtime.

I think it'll be hard work, but also lovely. You'll make memories you'll treasure. Just keep 'em busy!

V3ra Sun 28-Nov-21 23:49:05

Lovely ideas already.
I'd suggest that, weather permitting, it's a good idea to get outside for a walk.
A slow amble to collect leaves and feathers, always a stick, looking at the natural world through a child's eyes.
Sellotape or glue the treasures to a sheet of paper for a picture to take home ?

Elspeth45 Mon 29-Nov-21 05:06:08

I recently spent a few days with family, 2 boys under 5. I felt as if I had jet-lag when I got hone, took me a good week to recover!!!!

Bungle Mon 29-Nov-21 12:36:50

It is going to be hard work but such a help for your daughter.
I have had my granddaughter from age 9 months she's now nearly 3. I will be having her and her little sister soon when my daughter goes back to work
We do playdough, painting, reading and imaginative play when it's cold. Otherwise we're at park, and in garden when warm. I bought a slide, sand pit for garden. Have fun

glammanana Mon 29-Nov-21 13:23:46

I found it easy to have my 2 x DGSs on 2 days together it gave me time to recover before I had them again !!
I bought lots of 2nd hand hard plastic play furniture from Banardo's so easy to store away in the shed and easy to sanitise when not in use.
The slide and swings are now used by one of my DGS's little girl & boy my GGCs.
Join your local library for story-time where you will make friends with other children & nana's.

Notjustaprettyface Mon 29-Nov-21 21:46:35

Thank you ladies ! Lots of useful tips for me to try

Ange27 Mon 29-Nov-21 22:05:36

My first post as I will be looking after my 6 month old GD two days a week when my DIL goes back to work full time and I am racking my brains trying to think of things to do smile. I am looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time. My son is only 25 so it's not that long ago but although I can well remember all the things we did when he was a toddler I just can't think how we filled our days when he was a baby. Me and OH are lucky to be early retired at 61 and DS and DIL actually live next door so we don't need to get very much to keep her entertained as we can just nip round and get stuff.
GD will be at nursery the other three days so my main objective is to keep things as chilled out and relaxed as possible, lots of walks and plenty of time in the garden (my passion) in the summer. I am sure it will all come back to me once I get started. Am off to Barnardo's tomorrow to see if I can pick up a few essentials.

Florencelady Fri 28-Jan-22 10:12:15

It would be a good idea to take a little break during the day so your dh could take little one off for a all while you catch your breath. I found with my gd that dh was brilliant with her outside so he mostly did that bit. It's actually quite tiring so pacing yourself throughout the day is important. Remember she will be having naps too so when she does..cup of coffee/ magazine so ready for the next bit.

SachaMac Fri 28-Jan-22 10:28:23

As others have suggested lots of activity type toys Lego, musical toys, books, etc. Having some kind of a routine helps and being organised with meals etc. I used to take them to the library which for me is only a ten minute walk away, they used to do story time for toddlers which they enjoyed then we would pick some new books and come back and enjoy reading them. On nice days I’d put them in the puschair and head to the park, with the older GC you could make some cookies or cakes. Lots of grandparents around here take their grandchildren to toddler groups so if there’s one in your area on the days you have the children that might be a good idea. Wear them out in the morning then they might have a nice nap after lunch which gives you a break. It can be hard work and you’re always quite pleased to hand them over at the end of the day but it’s just lovely to have the chance to spend the time with them whilst they are young. Once they are at school it all changes, although there’s always the school holidays smile Enjoy.

Sparklefizz Fri 28-Jan-22 11:02:33

My granddaughter refused to have a nap when I was looking after her from 9am-7pm one day a week, and as I have ME, my energy levels are low.

The only way I could get a break was to drive her to a playground after a busy morning, wear her out on the swings/slide etc. then drive around until she fell asleep in her car seat. I would cover her with a blanket and park outside my house reading a book for an hour until she woke up as a much happier bunny. I then managed to keep going for another few hours until my daughter arrived to collect her.

The next day was a write-off as I was exhausted but I wouldn't have changed it for the world. smile

HettyBetty Fri 28-Jan-22 13:28:43

I am involved with a toddler group. Sometimes we have more grandparents than parents and they often make friends. At the moment we have three grandmas who go to the park together after the group and share the running around.

ElaineI Fri 28-Jan-22 16:35:45

All good ideas. 2nd hand toys are great, books, crayons, paper, bike, scooter. Keep some nappies/wipes at your house in case you run out - not too many as they grow out of them. 2nd hand high chair or wee child size table for them to sit at. I went to toddler groups and library till pandemic and sadly none of these have started up yet - we went to woods, parks, duck ponds instead. Now DGS2 is at nursery so it's easier. DGD also at nursery and she teaches DH with her dollies while I take her brother to his swimming lesson.

Madgran77 Fri 28-Jan-22 18:33:28

I looked after mine at their house. I had a selection of toys/pens/books/activities/games/jigsaws (age appropriate) at home and each week I would take maybe two items along for something different to play with if needed.

We had a definite routine from Day 1 and rest times for Nanny and Grandad were built in. Breakfast together when we arrived, then getting dressed etc. Activity of some sort, then tea break/milk and snack, quiet time. Outing to garden/park/cafe for lunch ...or home for lunch always followed by 30 minutes of C beebies whilst adults had a bit of free time. After that, different sort of activity, cutting, sticking, colouring, water play, sand play, bubbles, music and children dancing (adults watching!) or maybe a game together age appropriate. Sometimes one adult took older and one adult took younger. "Helping" with getting their tea, change for bed, story and maybe a quiet game or more stories until parents returned.