Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Saying hello

(52 Posts)
nannyto5 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:58:23

Hello everyone. My name is Jan and I live in Lincoln. I have five lovely grandchildren....oh and Rod my husband. I'm not lonely but I love a cuppa and am a good listener. Do get in touch please x

HootyMcOwlface Tue 31-Jan-17 18:53:06

Hi Jan, I'm in Lincoln too (or just outside). No grandchildren (hope I don't get told off for being on here but Mumsnet is a bit too young and cliquey for me!). Husband is disabled so don't get out much. I pop in here from time to time for a bit of company.

Crafting Tue 31-Jan-17 20:20:01

Hooty love the name. All are welcome GC or not. Everyone needs company smile

callgirl1 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:42:39

Nanny and Hooty, I`m in Boston, would be up for a meet up, in Lincoln, Boston, or some point in between.

hollie57 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:16:16

Morning everyone needing someone to talk to feeling right fed up have on going bad back and Monday it decided it was time to go and have been stuck in bed on diazepam since (in agony) thank god for the iPad ,hope you are all ok.??

HootyMcOwlface Wed 01-Feb-17 18:45:03

Oh hollie sorry to hear about your back, I'm just recovering from one myself, so can imagine how you feel. Agony isn't it! Hope you are feeling better very soon! flowers

HootyMcOwlface Wed 01-Feb-17 18:50:26

callgirl I have to care for my husband who is very disabled and so I don't get chance for outings I'm afraid. sad

hollie57 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:43:07

Thanks hottie for your message, it must be so hard looking after your husband I know how difficult it is to get a few hours break I look after my mum but that is nothing compared to full time care I hope you occasionally get a little break for yourself perhaps you have some carer's in or family to help I live in the south of England near chichester it was lovely hearing from you . ????take care.

hollie57 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:43:51

Sorry hoodie I misread.

hollie57 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:44:31

I will get it right hootie

hulahoop Wed 01-Feb-17 21:24:03

Hi I live in Yorkshire am retired . Sorry hootie you are unable to get out it must be very tiring at times take care ? I am not lonely but I know there are plenty of people that are .

callgirl1 Thu 02-Feb-17 00:44:54

Sorry you can`t get out and about Hootie, maybe one day someone will give you a break.
Does anyone in the Lincoln/Boston area fancy a meet up for coffee and a chat?

downtoearth Thu 02-Feb-17 09:26:23

Hello everyone
I am here in west norfolk,nice to hear from you ,sorry to hear of your difficulties ,I have "seen"you around GN love the name...call girl can you get to kings lynn or is that too far for you,I don't have my car anymoresad

Granof11 Thu 02-Feb-17 12:05:44

Hello all
I'm based in Wirral, have been here now for some years. In some ways it's a bit like living on an island. I look after grandchildren two or three days weekly and due to some health issues have given up driving. While the walking keeps me fairly fit it also means that I'm limited as to travelling to visit potential friends.

Reading other Gransnetters problems helps to keep mine in perspective. I've never had a response to any of the comments I've made and find this a bit off-putting. However I'm trying this and hope to hear from someone.

Thank you for reading this far.

|

DanniRae Thu 02-Feb-17 14:48:34

Hello Granof11!! Glad to respond to your message. I know how you feel about lack of response to stuff you have put on GN - the first time someone reacted to something I had said I was delighted. I hope this makes you feel better about GN - I joined last May and I LOVE IT grin

callgirl1 Thu 02-Feb-17 23:55:57

Downtoearth, way back when, when I was numberplease and you were Nellie, I planned to come to meet you in King`s Lynn, but the stupid train system means that I have to go all the way from Boston to Ely, then back up to King`s Lynn, taking over 3 hours and costing over £90, so I reluctantly had to give up the idea. It`s daft when it takes about 45 minutes. by car. Unfortunately I don`t have anyone to bring me.

callgirl1 Thu 02-Feb-17 23:57:40

Oh, and hello Granof11!

downtoearth Fri 03-Feb-17 09:53:47

Hello callgirl didn't realise you where number...nice to hear from you,yes I remember...just wondering if it is possible to get from KL to Boston by bus...I have been to Peterborough on the X1...will look into that so maybe able to arrange a meet using my bus pass...where would be a good place for you if this can be arranged

Granof11 Fri 03-Feb-17 11:15:38

Thank you DanniRae and Callgirl1 - so lovely to have a response at last. Much appreciated.

I note the comment about bus and train services and I can relate to that. Very often it necessitates a round trip of many miles and several bus/train changes just to travel a relatively short distance. If we were all drivers it would be so much simpler.

Cherrytree59 Fri 03-Feb-17 11:26:21

Hello and good morning all of you.
What a nice thread.
Lots of new names to say hello to.
I hope it becomes a regular slot on GN. smile

seacliff Fri 03-Feb-17 11:56:49

Hello everyone, nice to meet you all. I live in North Suffolk. Quite a warm day here, sun trying to break through the cloud. I do drive, but a while ago couldn't for 7 long weeks, we are out in the sticks nowhere near a bus. It brought it home to me how isolated we were without a car. If I had my way, we'd move to a small market town with bus and train options.

I know how you feel Granof11, I often get ignored too, which isn't nice. Just have to keep posting and gradually get known. Gransnet is such an interesting place to while away an hour or so.

hulahoop Fri 03-Feb-17 12:08:16

Good morning to everyone who feel they have been ignored . Does anyone feel invisible when out and about I have days where when out shopping people walk across my path usually hitting my shoulder with a bag in shops staff are chattering amongst themselves sometimes they look at me and say won't keep you long . At bars I stand and some one will pass glass over my shoulder and get it filled I am quite easy going but occasionally it gets to me and if oh with me I say quite loudly I,m having an invisible day .

Firecracker123 Fri 03-Feb-17 15:19:24

hulahoop I think when you get a certain age probably 60s or older you are invisible to the outside world but as long as your loved ones see you why worry.

Cherrytree59 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:43:33

When I get cut up or a car decides to pull out in front of me I know my car has its invisibility cloak on
hmm

callgirl1 Fri 03-Feb-17 18:51:04

Downtoearth, if you were coming and let me know the time, I could be at the bus station. I really ought to renew my bus pass, I keep forgetting, then maybe I could get to Kings Lynn that way, not sure how the buses run from Boston to anywhere else. It`s a nice idea though. I remember being in Kings Lynn some years ago, and liking the shopping there, but the chippy we went to, although lovely, would be no good to me now, it was upstairs, and these days me and stairs don`t go together anymore!