Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Good morning .....

(40 Posts)
Shirleyw Thu 02-Feb-17 05:27:57

....to you all. I'm Shirley from Luton. Woke up silly hours so having a cuppa with a rich tea Light.....and a browse on iPad....then get ready for work ......still rainy out there.......

PoshGran Thu 02-Feb-17 08:17:52

Morning Shirley, Lady Grey tea for me please...
It's breezy outside,but "curly at the edges" (can just see sun slithering through the Peterborough skyline).
Library again for me first thing then home for domestic business, bed-wrangling being one of them-bought a new duvet yesterday as was tired of filling preferring OH's side of bed no-matter what I tried!
Might chat again later.smile

glammanana Thu 02-Feb-17 08:22:17

Good-morning ladies just browsing through and seeing what grabs my interest,enjoying 2nd cuppa of the day and then shower and ready for work have a great day everyone.

Ankers Thu 02-Feb-17 09:28:37

Aw, tea will do fine. Good morning!

Funny day today. Daughter is about to have a baby. Due date today.
Will rush to see her at some point.

Packing. But dont know obviously, when actually going! It is like going on possible holiday, but not knowing the actual date! hmm

MawBroon Thu 02-Feb-17 09:31:51

Oh imminent congratulations!! First DGC? flowers

Thebeeb Thu 02-Feb-17 09:43:10

Morning looking lovely here today near Cambridge. Got nice day planned but can't get into gear. Being very lazy over cup of coffee and hoping caffeine will kick in. (Playing truant from the gym naughty me!!!)

rosesarered Fri 03-Feb-17 08:53:41

TheBeeb I need at least two large mugs of tea in the morning before I can do anything at all.
Grey but mild here today, and at least is Feb now ( always nice to get Jan out if the way) and at last our snowdrops are out in the garden.smile

Teetime Fri 03-Feb-17 09:05:39

Well guess where I'm going today- yep you got it. Have a nice day everyone. smile

Cherrytree59 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:07:13

Good morning all. Sun is out after a very wind night.
Congratulations Ankers how exciting please let us know when your grandchild pops out in to the world. Although it could be a few days yet. flowers

Rinouchka Fri 03-Feb-17 09:08:27

Good Morning! Enjoying my second cup of coffee before setting off to study antique furniture in Wallace Collection.

Exciting times for you, Ankers. Ten months ago, I was in the same situation. Enjoy all the anticipation as well as the arrival and welcome. Take photos of you, daughter and new baby together. I have one taken in the recovery room which my daughter insisted on. Precious moments.

roses, I am tired of politics as well but have taken the plunge to start a new thread as the news of it last night disturbed but did not surprise me.
Enjoy your tea/ coffee and croissants!

Cherrytree59 Sat 04-Feb-17 08:59:11

Morning all
Off to pickup 2 little GS for the day
Happy but exhausting Saturday aheadsmile

Ankers any news on your new arrival?

PoshGran Sat 04-Feb-17 10:54:51

Morning folks, Lady Grey tea for me please.

Unexpected guest for OH scuppered Friday somewhat. They disappeared into the man cave & did important things, but I felt bound to feed them (to keep them tame!) Meanwhile I laundered & pottered about generally, but not really able to join in for a "session".

I wonder if you have time & would help unravel this a bit for me please & Im sorry it's rather lengthy......
As a newbie to GN I am still learning the ropes but I'm tangled by threadsgrin. I had been looking at GN for a couple of months & in the New Year signed up & made my first posts to disparate threads which appealed to some of my interests. So far so good, but I felt that I'd quite like a more "chatty" place to dip into.
The Chat forum contained threads which looked promising on the surface but deeper examination made me rule them out. THEN came the HQ shuffle & up pops the Cafe. I wondered if entering into something "new" like this might be a better option for a newbie. I was saddened, but not wholly unsurprised, to see feathers ruffled & fur flying. Some of the the initial responses seemed to me a little on the harsh side as there was (I thought) a simple answer - stick with your own preferred (named) threads regardless of which Forum they are in.
I am also more aware now of the "crossover effect" - sometimes posts are made containing remarks which are seemingly unrelated to the actual thread being read, but obviously refer to something elsewhwere, which if you don't know you can't "get"!confused
Some threads are many pages long; flipping helps navigation of course but it seems to me it would be better to have a separate daily thread in the Cafe... as well as threads which address specifics. (And yes, I am aware I'm tangling here too!)

Sorry, does anyone want another drink or a slice of battenburg or something... on me? grin
I hope I've not been too precious about this ... I'll learn, but your comments would be most welcome.wink

kittylester Sat 04-Feb-17 11:21:42

Have you tried soop's kitchen, poshgran? It's nice in there and the drinks and cakes are free.grin

kittylester Sat 04-Feb-17 11:23:45

Sorry, should have added:

There is a good morning thread on chat which is always started by Mick - that's a good way of getting to know a bit about people!

Ankers Sat 04-Feb-17 11:37:21

Big signs for today or tomorrow. shock smile

MawBroon Sat 04-Feb-17 12:14:26

Good (oops) afternoon Mick and everybody! Lovely and sunny here in my corner of N Bucks and my day made even sunnier by the arrival of another stunning "Bloom and Wild" bouquet from SIL(who as my "Secret Santa" gave me flowers every month for 6 months!) - mega brownie points there SIL. smileJanuary flowers and today's shown left. "Oh flower(s) of Scotland....."? ?
? Rugby starts this afternoon, quiver!

NanaandGrampy Sat 04-Feb-17 12:14:44

I don't think you are more confused than the rest of us Poshgran.

I don't think much can be done about posts referring to other threads , that's like conversation isn't it? You're heading down one path and then someone comments with a related/unrelated comment and the path changes.

I'm not sure where 'fur has been flying' , I tend to avoid some thread ( I'm thinking specifically the political ones here and some of the games ones )if I don't like the 'style of posting.

Kitty is right , the Kitchen is a good place to start. Despite some pooh pooing from posters who see no value in it , its a place where conversation is relatively easy to keep up with, and there is much support to be found whatever your issue. Pop in - virtual cake abounds ( and wine !!)

Charleygirl Sat 04-Feb-17 14:23:11

PoshGran It may take a day or two to get to know us old kitchen hands but once you get to know us and the pets we own and love, it will appear to be very different. We do not bitch or bicker there. There are some exceptionally nice people and it comes out loud and clear re the conversations and virtual help given. With few exceptions we all live many miles apart so cannot hep physically.

kittylester Sat 04-Feb-17 15:53:22

Lovely flowers, Maw but this isn't Mick's good morning thread. Confusion in action!!

Ankers Sun 05-Feb-17 10:16:09

Baby girl born early this morning!!!!
Everyone fine smile grin
Thanks for the enquiries.

Cherrytree59 Sun 05-Feb-17 11:01:20

Congratulations Ankers what a joy!
Let us know all the details later when you have time. flowers x

Cherrytree59 Sun 05-Feb-17 11:24:12

Poshgran I don't think of you as a newbie now.
I remember your thread and also another that spurred off from your name smile

I look on GN as I would a magazine to dip in out of articles (threads) as the mood takes me.
If I don't like what's being said the I think what load of tosh and move on.
I sometimes start a thread that is hopefully light hearted.
In the past I have also had helpful advice on the health site.
If you are happy posting in the cafe then just carry on

The cafe has had its first birth announcement!

Charlie I have nearly done my half century as an expat. smile

Charleygirl Sun 05-Feb-17 12:53:21

Cherrytree we have done well surviving for so long in a totally foreign country. I have my hard hat on and am sitting behind the sofa.

In the ideal world if I knew anybody in Scotland or had any relatives I would love to live in St. Andrews, having lived close to it during my childhood and teens.

Scooter58 Sun 05-Feb-17 14:28:30

Congratulations to you all Ankers

Cherrytree59 Sun 05-Feb-17 14:30:56

charlie St Andrews is Lovely.
I'm sure if you did decide to go back you would soon meet people.
Do you play golf?
If not there's always the club house bar and cakes.
I have thought about what it would be like to go back as I do still have some relatives there.
But my DH , DC and DGC are all from south of the boarder so here I will stay.
My dream when my DGC are older is to take them on a road trip all the way round Scotland.
It is nice that there are so many Scots GNers, I feel I have one foot in Scotland grin