Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

I'm a newby.

(189 Posts)
bumblebee123 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:13:22

Hello, Good Morning & HI. I am a newby here but, I hasten to add, how can I be classed as a newby at 80 years old? Things have been a bit rough for me recently and at the moment I am imprisoned in my own house. However, the warder, my wife, is a gem and looks after me very well. I hope she reads this then I may get an extra biscuit for tea. She has me to contend with, a budgie, and a big dog, both of whom are as old as me. The dog, Benny, is a rescue dog and is quite a handful. Benny is a Staffy and is big, black, hefty and barks at everyone he sees but only because he wants to make a fuss of them. People of course don't know this and give him a wide berth................ AAHHH, some cheese sarnies have arrived so I will pause here for my lunch and play with Joey after which I will return and tell you more. Bye for now, Brian.

shysal Sat 11-Feb-17 11:31:05

Hi Brian, welcome to Gransnet. If you are wanting something to fill your days you are in the right place! I am addicted and spend time every day reading the threads but not necessarily contributing. Your Benny sounds like a character! I have two cats, one of whom is a bit bonkers, and enjoy their company. Pets are a joy aren't they? I was going to recommend that you encourage your wife to join too, but realize that she might become hooked and have less time to wait on you!smile

hildajenniJ Sat 11-Feb-17 11:48:07

Morning (just) bumblebee. I'm glad your imprisonment has been lightened by Gransnet. Benny sounds like a good lad. I have a parson Russell called Wiser who is 17, very doddery and deaf as a post! She used to jump up and bark at anything and everything that passed the window, but not anymore. She spends most of her days sleeping now. Enjoy your earliest, and I look forward to the next installment ☺☺

hildajenniJ Sat 11-Feb-17 11:49:40

Sarnies!!! earliest was invented by the tablet. grin

Luckygirl Sat 11-Feb-17 11:51:26

Morning - I hope you enjoy being a part of Gransnet - there are some other chaps on here too. Not me of course!

nanaK54 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:58:11

Good morning - oh hang on is it still morning? Anyway hello and welcome!

Cherrytree59 Sat 11-Feb-17 12:16:17

Hello bumblebee
Love the name!
Hope you enjoy gransnet and perhaps Mrs bumblebee will enjoy hearing all about GN
Do enjoy rugby ?
I'm sure there will be several posts this afternoon on the active sport threads.

NanaandGrampy Sat 11-Feb-17 12:23:18

Afternoon Bumblebee and welcome. I am sure you will find something here to while away the time !

Christinefrance Sat 11-Feb-17 12:23:25

Hello bumblebee, good to have another dog lover here. It's such a shame bad owners have given Staffies a bad reputation. Your boy sounds like a real character.
Glad to hear the warder is looking after you so well.
Look forward to hearing more from you. smile

Judthepud2 Sat 11-Feb-17 12:40:16

Hello Bumblebee and welcome to Gransnet. I hope you will enjoy the company as you are stuck in the house. Lots of different chat threads. Most posters are lovely and supportive in times of trouble. Just a few with rather sharp 'tongues'. If you like an argument, the politics/news sites are stimulating, but put your flak jacket and tin helmet on first grin !

'Soop's kitchen' is a pleasant restful place if you feel like a bit of relaxation. A lot of the posters, including the lovely 'soop', try to reply to everyone's post.

Cherrytree59 Sat 11-Feb-17 12:47:51

Hi forgot to say bumblebee that we had a rescue staffy
She was a lovely affectionate dog
She insisted on having her bed next to the washing machine
And her ball had to be yellow!

bumblebee123 Sat 11-Feb-17 13:36:18

I think........... I think......... OH NO, PLEASE NO, I had my sarnies, Came back in, and typed another letter, ...........
I can't find it. We are not allowed to swear on here are we? Excuse me a minute while I drag myself into the back room. ....................................................................... YEOOOWWWWWW and more YEOOOWWWWWW.
I lost it. I will try and remember it and retype it.

Hello, I'm back from my sarnies which are now nicely snuggled in my tum. Joey helped me to eat them. Shysal, let me know more about your pussycats. I used to have 14 of them but that was long ago. Today we have so many birds and squirrels in the garden that it wouldn't be prudent to keep cats but I still like them. We love all animals.
hildajenniJ or Hilda? The moment I read about your Parson Russel my mind sprang to 'Midsomer Murders' and Sykes. He's a Parson Russel and has just retired. He is 13 years old. Have you seen him?
Joey the budgie arrived in our garden one day very hungry and very thirsty. We fed him in the garden and very slowly, with him perched on my hand, I walked up the steps to the conservatory and put him on a quickly designed perch. We then made a hasty dash to the nearest pet shop where we bought all manner of things suitable for a budgie. That was 8 1/2 years ago. He talks and talks and we sometimes burst out laughing at night due to the things he says. He is so much fun.
Right, must retire for a while as my back is killing me.
Thanks for all your welcomes. I really appreciate them.
Bye for now. Brian.

Charleygirl Sat 11-Feb-17 15:56:07

Welcome to the madhouse bumblebee. You will soon get used to the various sites and the folk who contribute.

I have a cat Tara who is around 12 years old. She is very feisty and if she does not want to do something, she will not. She is resting her eyes on my bed at present.

tanith Sat 11-Feb-17 16:35:44

welcome bumblebee I hope you enjoy reading all the threads on Gransnet some contentious as the others have said and some just gentle and friendly.
I have always kept cats but lost our last 2 several years ago and as DH was about to retire we decided being pet free would be a good thing for a while so we could take off on trips or days out without having to worry about them. I hope your back pain eases off with a bit of a rest.

Auntieflo Sun 12-Feb-17 08:09:03

Welcome Bumblebee, and please keep the tales coming about Benny. We had a neighbour with a big, very big, beautiful staffy, Lynx. He was so gentle and a real gentleman. Whenever they were on a walk past our house, he would stop to say hello and get petted. Now they have moved away, we don't see him and his master anymore, and we miss his big cheery grin.

bumblebee123 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:44:56

Hello and a very good morning to all of you. It is cloudy wet and just starting to snow here. Benny has had his morning walk plus a few trips into the back garden but, unfortunately, he comes back in with very muddy paws. We have to stop him in the conservatory and wash his feet for him.
We are waiting for a Skype call from my son in Australia. Skype means that we can talk and see one another for free. It's amazing the things we can do these days with modern technology. We do all our shopping via the internet and never have to leave the house. No more pushing a shopping trolley round a crowded supermarket and, if it is raining, getting wet loading it all into the car. Does anyone else do their shopping via the internet?
I have been wondering about which TV programmes you all like? We like Poirot, & Miss Marple but when we have seen them about ten times we have to start watching the programmes that Joey likes, namely, Thomas the tank engine, Postman Pat and Peppa Pig. ............. Yup, you read it right, Peppa Pig. Anymore Peppa Pig fans out there? Non violent simple stories. Oh come on, somebody out there must have seen Peppa. Do you know how many people it takes to produce a 5 minute story of Peppa Pig? LOTS.
Right, when I'm fit enough I'm going puddle jumping.
Bye for now, Brian...................

Christinefrance Sun 12-Feb-17 09:51:07

Bumblebee I loved Sykes too in Midsomer he was a real character, hope he is enjoying his retirement. I think both Sykes and the new JR were rescue dogs

Judthepud2 Sun 12-Feb-17 16:33:09

Bumblebee in answer to one of your questions, I have just put away my Tesco shop ordered online and delivered by a lovely friendly man. I'm a bit stuck in the house too due to a recently disabled dog who needs a lot of nursing, and online shopping has been a lifesaver. Amazon has just provided dog nappies, dog incontinence pads, vetbed, cleanser for accidents, a pet carrier. ?

callgirl1 Sun 12-Feb-17 18:26:48

Hello Bumblebee and welcome. I`m another who shops online, used to use Asda but they let me down badly last Christmas, so have bee using Tesco since then.
I have a cyber friend in Wales who has a rescued Staffie called Butch, she loves him loads. He`s also black and hefty, very glossy coat, I`d love to meet him, being a dog lover, but unable to do the walkies anymore. My current pet is Mia, a beautiful white cat, very spoilt, a bit of a madam, but I love her.
I hope your cheese sarnies went down well, wish I had someone to make me a sarnie, lol!

bumblebee123 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:20:15

I didn't know that nappies were available for dogs. We have a budgie called Joey who poops on my trousers. Do you think that....???? NAH, surely not for budgies. grin
Brian.

Deedaa Sun 12-Feb-17 20:26:37

Hi Bumblebee your staffie sounds lovely. I loved Sykes but I do like the new dog as well. When we lived in the country we had lots of cats, but we're down to just two now. I'm a big Peppa Pig fan - I love the way Daddy Pig is always an expert in every thing and it always goes horribly wrong.

bumblebee123 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:28:49

Judthepud2, Judy?, sorry to hear about your doggy. What kind is it and what is he-she called? You are obviously a kind and loving person to look after your pet like that. Hope all goes well for him-her.

Brian

bumblebee123 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:39:08

Hi there callgirl1, please say a big internet Hello to Butch and a cuddle for Mia. Do you like salad cream on your cheese sarnies?smile
Brian, or should I put Bumblebee?

bumblebee123 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:52:48

Testing..............

IT WORKS. This is BENNY.

Bumblebee.

bumblebee123 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:55:00

Click on the pic and it will enlarge.
Brian.