Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Good morning and hello Monday

(49 Posts)
stevierichards1954 Sun 17-Jun-18 23:51:24

Yes it is Monday here
And brief visit to europe mainland
So hello to Those back in blighty

MawBroon Sun 17-Jun-18 23:53:08

This is getting ridiculous, it is NOT a race.

Rufus2 Mon 18-Jun-18 02:13:36

This is getting ridiculous, it is NOT a race.

MawBroon; Who says? smile
Of course it is! It's called "One Upmanship" It makes one feel virtuous to be first up and about when everyone else is lazing away in bed. grin
I'm wondering where Stevie is, to be able to get in first?
Outside Europe? Channel Islands possibly. IOW doesn't count.

Good Health and have a good day

Rufus2 Mon 18-Jun-18 02:28:48

Good Monday morning Boss and all earlybirds.
Sunny morning here in Melbourne, not even any hail!
10C, a bit windy so might be a good day to get my sheets and smalls out on the line for that crisp fresh-air smell. smile
Not at the front of the house though!
Don't know how many snow-droppers might be around. sad

Good Health and have a good Monday without that Monday- morning feeling!

12Michael Mon 18-Jun-18 06:38:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

stevierichards1954 Mon 18-Jun-18 08:31:14

In Dunkirk an hour In front of UK
Last minute decision yesterday with friend

gillybob Mon 18-Jun-18 08:35:06

Have a great day in Dunkirk Stevie smile

merlotgran Mon 18-Jun-18 09:03:31

IOW doesn't count?? shock shock

How very dare you. grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Jun-18 12:21:01

Starting threads is definitely a non-competitive sport grin No prizes for getting in there first we are afraid grin grin whatever your time zone (actually we quite like an opportunity to laze in bed when one presents itself tbh)

Of course anyone can start threads whenever they want and on pretty much anything they want, but it's always worth checking that there isn't something similar already running before you post, otherwise it can end up being a bit pointless or confusing.

Now it must be Tuesday somewhere in the world so shall I... kidding - honest

Rufus2 Mon 18-Jun-18 14:18:48

like an opportunity to laze in bed when one presents itself tbh)
So do I. smile
In fact I didn't arise until 9.00a.m. This World Cup is playing havoc with my nocturnal habits even though I'm a night owl and it was freezing outside, but my conscience forced me out of bed as I had washing to hang out before it rained. grin
BTW I couldn't see anything similar running, not that I could see anyway. Please clarify! wink
No! I never expect to get a prize, but I didn't expect to get a clip round the ear either! [joke] grin
Good Health

MawBroon Mon 18-Jun-18 14:40:37

Of course it is! It's called "One Upmanship" It makes one feel virtuous to be first up and about when everyone else is lazing away in bed.

Is “one upmanship” something to be encouraged on GN Rufus?
And as for your comment that you have not spotted threads of this type (thinking of the regular daily “ Good Morning ——“ threads which Mick starts every morning)
Do they have Specsavers in Oz?

merlotgran Mon 18-Jun-18 14:51:33

Why does there have to be the one and only Good Morning thread that's started by 12Michael? Surely it's better to just carry on and ignore a duplicate thread if you feel it has no right to be there.

Why so much umbrage?

I don't get it. hmm

gillybob Mon 18-Jun-18 15:12:02

Me neither merlot and I am puzzled why anyone would deliberately ignore a good morning thread just because it was posted by anyone other than michael as though it’s unofficial or something ??? confused

MawBroon Mon 18-Jun-18 16:03:54

Is there any umbrage?
Is anybody ignoring anything?
I commented it was not a race, but Rufus seemed to think otherwise and claimed he couldnt see anything similar running.
I don’t think “one upmanship” has a place on GN and said so.

stevierichards1954 Mon 18-Jun-18 18:12:11

It isn't a race and I was abroad and amazed I still had connection to the net so thought I would say hello with HUGE possibility I wouldn't be able to post later.

For some reason Mick's post was deleted by the site admin

Looking at rules I wonder why. But also found the below from rules and regs.

So was it an attack? And to keep getting pointed out etiquette of here which goes against the below guidelines.

As I said not here to step on any toes but I can see that etiquette suit only who wants to follow them or make up their own.

So I have now used a different title but noe this isn't good enough. And if up early do we gave to wait?
What's stopping people replying to who they wish?

Happy reading below and only wonder why the above post was deleted

Gransnet Forums aren’t pre-moderated; we don’t read and approve comments before they appear. Our policy is to keep intervention to a minimum and let the conversation flow.

That said, we will remove posts we believe to be obscene, racist, homophobic, contain personal attacks or break the law once they are brought to our attention.

MawBroon Mon 18-Jun-18 18:26:55

Mick had posted a link to another forum. GNHQ possibly interpreted that as advertising. There was no attack on anybody.

NanKate Mon 18-Jun-18 20:29:52

Oh Maw wouldn’t it be good to go back just a week or two where all of us early morning folk knew the form and followed it? Poor Mick is in the middle and he has done nothing wrong.

stevierichards1954 Mon 18-Jun-18 20:32:10

I have been asked not to start a thread of good morning insert day and wait. This has been asked of me each time I started one, even when using diff title
But I had had one email stating same thing and I shouldn't start one but more saying carry one.
The link was yo a silver surfers thread so not really a link to this site

Which etiquette do we follow. The web sites or the users?

MawBroon Mon 18-Jun-18 21:00:40

If you knew what the link was stevier why did you imply you didn’t know what was in the deleted post and suggest an “attack”?
There is no big deal, just a request not to cause confusion by using the same thread title leading to possible duplication and confusion.
Storm in a brew
BTW whoever says “Good Morning/Bonjour/Guten Morgen/Goeiemorgen at 1 a.m in the middle of the night? gringrin

NanKate Mon 18-Jun-18 21:29:55

Maw ?

gillybob Mon 18-Jun-18 22:01:37

It was a link to silver surfers that was deleted . I Didn’t open it. Not interested, but it obviously broke some guildine or other.

I honestly can’t believe what I’m reading . Very silly .

Marydoll Mon 18-Jun-18 22:17:03

The implication of an "attack" was totally unnecessary.☹️
If I were Mick I would be embarrassed by all of this.
Stevie, it's certainly not the way I would go about trying to make friends on a loneliness thread.
This has always been a gentle thread where all are welcome posters are kind and supportive and I am saddened by all this nonsense.

gillybob Mon 18-Jun-18 22:21:12

I really can’t see what stevie has supposed to have done except to start a good morning thread.

It shiukd still be a gentle thread .

Im baffled, but I’m not going to argue any more.

stevierichards1954 Tue 19-Jun-18 05:07:26

Maw. All I saw was a link to silver surfers but I hadn't opened it at the time as going through customs
When I came back to look at it the post had been deleted

stevierichards1954 Tue 19-Jun-18 05:10:25

Gilly I haven't done anything except start a thread and then get told not to
And then question why a post has been deleted.