Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Hello! I’m a Newbie….

(33 Posts)
Sueroe Mon 27-Mar-23 11:04:10

I stumbled upon Gransnet during a search on Google - sounded right up my street, though I’m not actually a Gran (yet!) 🤷‍♀️
I live in Kent. I’m 61, married and have 3 grown up kids with the youngest (24y) still living at home together with his girlfriend.
In the process of downsize contemplation as we need to be mortgage free now we’re retired and trying to decide which area of the country to move to as we’ve no big ties here these days.

VB000 Mon 27-Mar-23 11:10:57

Hi Sue, and welcome to the group... I've got 2 adult children, and not a gran!

BlueBelle Mon 27-Mar-23 11:13:52

Welcome Sueroe you ll find lots of happiness, invaluable help and advice, good friendship, plus a touch of arguments and disagreements on here (just like real life eh)
Hope you have a good journey with us and enjoy your times posting on here

Baggs Mon 27-Mar-23 12:06:12

Welcome to GN, sueroe! I'm spending more time than usual on it cos I've a broken (mending!) wrist so am off work and can't do much gardening at the mo. Also limited by the fact we have builders in to mend our mud room (outhouse/utility room) roof.... Just heard a bit of ceiling crash down 😬 – we knew it would. New roof isn't going to need a ceiling.

Aldom Mon 27-Mar-23 12:08:27

Good morning Sueroe and welcome to Gransnet.
I've been a grandma for almost 21 years. But you don't have to be a gran to belong.
As BlueBelle said, there are lots of interesting discussions and the occasional falling out.
Looking forward to you posting your thoughts.
Just out of interest, are you in the UK. If so, North, South or in the middle?
I'm Oxfordshire. smile

nanna8 Mon 27-Mar-23 12:10:33

Welcome sueroe ,good that you found us.You don’t have to be a gran to be part of this community, we talk about all sorts of stuff.

Joseanne Mon 27-Mar-23 12:16:06

Hi, Sueroe and welcome. Like you here, I joined GN when we moved out of London, 3 years ago now. There is a lot of practical advice on House and Home.

Mollygo Mon 27-Mar-23 14:59:23

Welcome Sueroe. Hope you enjoy it. Lots of useful chat on clothes, makeup, gardens and household (I bought my air fryer on a GN recommendation). I like one or two of the threads on Games.

Ziplok Mon 27-Mar-23 15:06:27

Hello Sueroe. Welcome aboard 😁.

62Granny Mon 27-Mar-23 15:12:24

Have you thought about the Welsh borders, all depends on your budget but prices are generally cheaper than over the border in England, do think closely about what you want e.g shops, doctor's surgery chemist ,pub /restaurant, bus /train links as we older we may need these more and more.

Juliet27 Mon 27-Mar-23 15:23:57

OP said she’s in Kent Aldom

Juliet27 Mon 27-Mar-23 15:24:44

Welcome ‘Sueroe*

multicolourswapshop Mon 27-Mar-23 16:20:52

Hi Sueroe welcome to gransnet.

NotAGran55 Mon 27-Mar-23 16:21:46

Welcome Sueroe I’m not a gran either 😀 but I’m a mum of two sons 25 and 28.
There’s something of interest for everyone on here.
Mick’s ‘good morning’ thread in CHAT is a great place to start.

tickingbird Mon 27-Mar-23 16:54:57

Welcome smile

Aldom Mon 27-Mar-23 18:12:46

Juliet27

OP said she’s in Kent Aldom

Thanks Juliet27. smile flowers

dogsmother Mon 27-Mar-23 18:38:25

Welcome from me, not a grandparent yet either but it’s imminent 😅.
It’s interesting here, fun to read through old threads on varying forums. Lots of good people and fun stuff.

overthehill Mon 27-Mar-23 23:15:53

Welcome. Are your family local to you I personally would think twice about moving away from them. When those grandchildren come along it will be nice to be near at hand. Also as we age you may need them.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 23:25:58

Hello sueroe and welcome to Gransnet.

The WelshEnglish Borders is a lovely area but yes, as you get older you might want to be near good facilities so it's worth checking out more than one area before house hunting.

JanetCr Sat 08-Apr-23 18:29:49

Hi All, also new here! I have 2 little grandsons whom I adore and I'm lucky to have them nearby. I've been caring for my late dad for years and he died a month ago. Feeling like I want to reach out to others who are/have been in similar situation. Just working out how to use this site too - seems wonderful.

Grammaretto Sat 08-Apr-23 18:44:18

Welcome! Sueroe I hope you'll find lots to like on gransnet. It's my first port of call for advice on just about anything!
The ages span quite a range. I think I'm now in the older bracket as I'm in my 70s and have help! teenaged DGC.
I live in Scotland where we have a strong contingent and we even meet up occasionally.

I love Kent and lived there when we were newlyweds. Why would you want to move?

Wyllow3 Sat 08-Apr-23 18:55:05

Welcome.

It took me a bit to realise that the best way to start was to browse the "forums" (top left on the maroon bar at the top).

All life is here with its usual friendly and occasionally conflict bits. I'd not post something very controversial to start with unless you have a reasonable thick skin, but IME (in my experience) Gransnet is a great deal kinder than in RL (real life) in general as to how people are

Wyllow3 Sat 08-Apr-23 18:56:47

There's actually a current thread on moving or not you could join, but it crops up very frequently anyway

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1224599-Is-it-time-to-move-on.

Charleygirl5 Sat 08-Apr-23 19:05:36

Welcome both of you, soop's kitchen is another place where you will be made very welcome.

I am really fortunate, I live in London and I meet 3 GNs locally for coffee once a month and we have done so for around 5 years.

There is another group of us, around 8, who meet up on Oxford Street but Covid put paid to that although we are slowly getting together again.

Be careful, the threads can be addictive and not a lot gets done, certainly not here.

Enjoy!

I have 2 GN penfriends who both live too far away to consider visiting. I have been really fortunate.

Ashcombe Sat 08-Apr-23 19:09:23

Welcome to Sueroe and also to JanetCr. I'm sure you'll find some interesting threads here. Posters are generally supportive and come from a range of backgrounds and political persuasions!

I moved away from two of my offspring when I retired to Torbay 12 years ago and feel very settled here. My eldest is in Australia.