Gransnet forums

Health

Does eating bread make you feel 'bagged-up'?

(47 Posts)
greenmossgiel Mon 15-Aug-11 20:26:49

Although I love bread (especially my own), it seems to make me feel heavy and bloated. I've realised at last, that if I want to feel comfortable and not over-full, some of my carbohydrates must be met with oatcakes etc. Anyone else dealing with similar? hmm

glammanana Wed 17-Aug-11 21:01:59

I made the mistake of having toast for breakfast Mon/Tues this week and have suffered for it ,having felt bloated ever since so that is once again a no -no,I had't really had a lot of bread with me being on BHF healthy eating
plan and loosing 2st,but I just craved the toast but have learnt my lesson

greenmossgiel Wed 17-Aug-11 21:05:34

I've still had no bread - only oatcakes and I'm fine so far! hmm

Zephrine Wed 17-Aug-11 21:45:07

What do you mean by oatcakes, the hard biscuity types or the soft pancake ones like rubber frisbees?

glammanana Wed 17-Aug-11 21:59:23

Zephrine if you didn't like the soft pancake one's you could use them in
the garden to play with your DCs,but seriously I buy the biscuit type one's
from Morrison's they are very nice I will be back to using them in future thats
for sure

Baggy Thu 18-Aug-11 06:39:40

Shetland and/or Orkney oatcakes (hard type) are the best. I mostly find them in triangle shapes. Walker's (of shortbread fame) oatcakes are also VG.

If you say oatcake in Scotland, it means the hard type.

Zephrine Thu 18-Aug-11 08:13:23

Glammanana Best thing to do with them!!

Baggy Thanks for the clarity, I buy Nairn oatcakes sometimes, will look around for others.

greenmossgiel Thu 18-Aug-11 08:35:46

Aldi also have really nice ones! These are round. Nairns make triangular ones as well - but the type Baggy is talking about are even better because they are quite coarse and grainy. I also buy Pittenweem Oatcakes from Mellis' Cheese shop (Edinburgh, St. Andrews). Lovely!

expatmaggie Thu 18-Aug-11 09:01:36

I feel the same when I eat bread. I have eaten crispbread( Ryvita) for years instead of bread and my only treat is ONE slice of toast in the morning for breakfast then the empty stomach is not so easily overloaded. Crisbreads are double baked and this is easier for us to digest. I have crispbread, the kind without yeast, in my overnight case as I sometimes have to babysit at short notice and I have also taken it into hospital with me.

Joan is right, humans have only eaten grains for 10,000 years which is just small fragment of time in our history. In the Stone Age diet, meat and veg is fantastic for losing weight and getting rid of allergies but after a time you long for a buttered roll and would give up all sweets just for a bite into one. I've done that- got the tea shirt and still can't give up carbs permanently.

Annobel Thu 18-Aug-11 09:03:03

I used to love the big, chunky, triangular ones which we knew as bannocks - not to be confused with a Selkirk bannock which is a shiny kind of fruity teacake. In our hall of residence in St Andrews, we used to have bannocks for Sunday breakfast because the bakery wasn't open for rolls. It made the decision to get up on Sunday a lot easier for me!

Baggy Thu 18-Aug-11 10:11:34

I love the chunky bannocks as well!

I think Stone Age people may have collected the seed heads of primitive wheat, rye, barley, oats, and, for all we know, other grasses. They probably 'processed' some of them by grinding and mixing with water. One day some yeast spores will have got in and fermented a bit and hey presto, bread! As has been remarked, ten thousand or so years is a mere blip in evolutionary terms. I daresay we are still adapting to bread. But we'd better adapt because grain of some sort is the staple food of all human societies except for a few very tiny pockets of remaining early cultures.

Baggy Thu 18-Aug-11 10:13:58

Those of us whose genes haven't adapted so well are lucky to have a choice. Not so long ago we would have just died young.

expatmaggie Sat 20-Aug-11 17:23:05

Looking back to what has been written about nutritional history, I suppose we did eat grains in a basic form but then we only lived to be about 35 on average and so we died of something else, probably not getting enough food of any kind. The present trend to eat wholemeal forgets that for thousands of years, hours and hours of women's labour were spent ridding the corn of the chaff which is traditionally pigs feed.

Now it is supposed to be good for us but I suspect not for everybody.
I loved oatcakes but am more intolerant of oats than wheat, so keep to rye, wheat and rice.

Baggy Sat 20-Aug-11 18:59:43

The chaff is not part of the whole grain. It is the outer husk which is threshed off all the wheat we eat. Bran and wheatgerm are part of the whole grain but are removed to create white flour. Bran simply acts as bulk in the gut to soak up water and wheatgerm is high in protein (relatively) and in Vitamin E and is therefore good food. I believe it is usually other things in grains that cause people problems, such as gluten, which I understand is part of the protein in the starchy part of the grain. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

nannienet Thu 15-Sep-11 13:17:38

Hi there everyone.Yes,and so I have changed to wheat free muesli at breakfast and ryvita with different toppings at lunch.I have noticed a big difference around the waistband of trousers to. A

greenmossgiel Thu 15-Sep-11 14:18:33

I haven't had any bread since I made the original post in the middle of August and I feel so much better. I don't have that heavy feeling in my stomach and I don't have the same feeling of 'palpitations' that followed a lunch with bread, either. I'm enjoying crispbread (even with soup) and oatcakes with no problems whatsoever.

Jacey Thu 15-Sep-11 15:19:21

Check the ingredients on crisp bread boxes ...inc. some ryvita varieties ...they can still contain wheat! I've been 'caught' with new varieties! So the birds have benefitted!!

greenmossgiel Thu 15-Sep-11 16:25:18

Thanks, Jacey - I'll be on the lookout for rogue Ryvitas!

harrigran Thu 15-Sep-11 18:22:22

I had a sore tummy for a few weeks, really bloated, so I saw the doctor and he suggested peppermint oil capsules. I was amazed at how well they worked.

Ariadne Fri 16-Sep-11 18:17:52

Oh yes! Peppermint oil is great. I use Colpermin.

bikergran Thu 27-Oct-11 19:45:09

Health visitor told hubby it was worst thing to eat for digestion..!

crimson Thu 27-Oct-11 19:57:20

I've slipped back into eating bread and feel awful for it. I've also just discovered deli wraps and find they make a nice meal when I'm rushing around; they give me terrible indigestion, but I'm a bit addicted to them [a good way to use up a few bits of left over salad as well]......err, palpitations? I've been getting those recently as well...