Gransnet forums

Health

My New Healthy Lifestyle

(208 Posts)
rubylady Fri 27-Jan-17 03:44:55

Welcome to a new you. This thread is for anyone to post regular updates on their improved health and lifestyle, be it food related, excercise or doing something for yourself which helps your mental health. I started out last September at 16 stones 10 pounds, now I weigh 15 stones 2 pounds. For the first time in years I am going to the hairdressers later. Get ready for No Snack February, there's a few days to eat those biscuits ? or chocolate bar ?. Good luck and I hope I'm not on my own doing this! ?Xxx

f77ms Fri 27-Jan-17 06:39:21

I will join you Ruby but no scales and have no idea what I weigh - not sure I want to know grin . I can go off my clothes and how tight they are !! My goal is to get back into a 12 . Now a 14 is very tight ! . I am only 5ft so look like a right little tub xx

NanKate Fri 27-Jan-17 07:07:18

What a good idea Rubylady and very well done to you for losing so much weight since last September, keep going.

As I get older I realise that taking responsibility for my own healthy is very important. I have gone out for a short quick walk nearly every day since Xmas and am trying to cut back on high fat snacks and only have alcohol 3 days a week.

Onward and upward Girls smile

nanamacatj Fri 27-Jan-17 07:10:11

Another 5ft tub here. Gained nearly 2 stone when menopause kicked in. Weighed 9st 12 on Jan 1st. Have managed to drop 2lbs by walking more and eating less. Had a bad day yesterday due to bad weather and bad mood. Will give myself and good talking to today?

Alima Fri 27-Jan-17 07:34:11

Well done with your healthier lifestyle Ruby. I need to make an effort but finding the cold weather is not helping. Not even looking forward to my usual healthy breakfast of fresh fruit and yogurt. Luckily have so far resisted changing it for a full English though! When it warms up really intend to walk more.

thatbags Fri 27-Jan-17 07:39:37

Good luck with the February self-challenge, ruby! I don't think I could do it! And well done so far. ?

MissAdventure Fri 27-Jan-17 08:14:19

What a good idea!
My aim is to stop smoking and loose weight this year. (Tall order, I know)
Neither ideas has actually happened yet, because I keep finding reasons why I can't do it "at the moment", but I am going to at least try!

grannypiper Fri 27-Jan-17 08:25:22

Well done ruby, i will be 3 stone lighter by Christmas, so far this year 8lbs have gone and i have started using a fantastic D.V.D recommended by Lupin called just walk a mile at home by Lesley Sansome, so easy to do and you dont need to move the furniture to do it !.Goodluck everyone, we can do it. Shall we check in again next week ?

Badenkate Fri 27-Jan-17 08:28:11

Hi Ruby I'm with you. I'm 5'10" and started off the New Year at 117.9 kgs (sorry but my scales are a left over from living in Switzerland). I started Slimming World online at the beginning of the year and I'm now 114.4 kgs so I've lost just over half a stone. My aim is to get down to 75kgs so a long way to go! I twisted my knee at the end of last year and it's taking a long time to heal so I'm limited to a couple of miles at the most walking, but I'm aiming to walk Hadrian's Wall in the summer shock. It's my birthday at the end of the month, but everyone knows no chocolates! Good luck to everyone who joins in flowerssunshine

seacliff Fri 27-Jan-17 08:32:52

This post appeared at just the right time for me. My son left last night for Oz and I'd promised myself that then I'd start eating healthy and taking exercise. Doing it is another matter, so l' d love to join you Ruby

Charleygirl Fri 27-Jan-17 08:58:59

Badenkate I find from the psychological point of view when I have a lot of weight to lose if I tell myself I only have 3-4 kilos to lose, it is much more manageable. When those kilos have been lost, it is only another 3 and so on. It works for me. I do not think that I would bother if I had to drop from 117kilos to 75 kilos- far too much.

Badenkate Fri 27-Jan-17 10:07:09

Actually Charliegirl I've read recently that the most successful slimmers have a large weight loss in mind. It doesn't bother me that I 've got 40kg to loose - I'm aiming for 0.7kg/week. That is then projected to get me there by my next birthday. I do have intermediate goals though: 10% weight loss which is another 8kgs; BMI less than 30; plus going down in dress sizes so first is down to an 18. So to some extent I am doing what you say.

rosesarered Fri 27-Jan-17 10:13:15

Walking more, and smaller portions are the way to go.Having had toothache all week,
It's stopped a lot of eating! still, can't rely on that much longer,as dentist today for me.
Eat less, excercise more, we all know it makes sense!grin

KatyK Fri 27-Jan-17 11:15:35

Well done ruby This thread is a great idea. I would like to lose about half a stone and also do something to boost my mental health and anxiety levels which are becoming a real problem. So here goes - more exercise, stop over-thinking and accept what I can't change, go with the flow a bit more. Oh and get rid of that half a stone smile

mumofmadboys Fri 27-Jan-17 12:00:33

I too want to lose half a stone and get down to 9 stone. I'm only 5 foot one and a half inches! I try to exercise daily and eat sensibly.

DanniRae Fri 27-Jan-17 15:07:06

This is a great idea. I need to lose weight but never weigh myself as I find it too depressing. I am cutting right down on sugar - I bar of dark chocolate a week - and walking much more. My scales can work in kgs so I think I will weigh myself in them so I can see when I have lost weight but don't know what it is in pounds and stones??
Thank you rubylady I feel inspired - Here's to a lighter, fitter me!! See you all next Friday....... smile

clementine Fri 27-Jan-17 17:09:02

Brilliant, can I join please. Lost two stone at SW and managed to keep it off for about two years but have gained seven pounds over Christmas/New year and just cant seem to shift it. I know its not a lot but would feel better if I could reduce it . Like KatyK I suffer from anxiety and over thinking too, so am going to step up the walking and get out and about in the fresh air.

wot Fri 27-Jan-17 20:45:41

Congratulations everyone who has lost weight. At beginning of December my cholesterol was 8.2 and now, having gone onto statins and not eating rubbish, it's down to 4 and I've lost 6 lbs. However, I stopped smoking on the 4th January but I'm really struggling with that now and did have half a cig today. Hardest thing I've ever done and wondering if it's worth it although my cough has completely gone.

rubylady Sat 28-Jan-17 02:11:07

wot Of course it's worth carrying on, you are doing so well, keep going love, it is so worth it. I now have more money to buy nice things with and don't have that dreaded feeling of running out of cigarettes and needing desperately to get some more. Not to mention that now I only smell of me, and not a stale ashtray. ? One day at a time, for any of these changes. We can only live our lives one day at a time, so please don't plan ahead, do today, that's all, tomorrow will take care of itself. You're all doing really well, keep going, you are looking fabulous! ❤️

seacliff Sat 28-Jan-17 02:20:58

Ruby .... One hour at a time for me at the moment, it is so hard for me to start. It is such a big change and so hard mentally to be denying myself things. I know it's all in my head. Full of admiration for you genuinely.

NanKate Sat 28-Jan-17 07:49:21

Last year I got Polymyalgia a type of rheumatic illness and one of the side effects was weight loss, even though I felt so ill it was great to feel the the weight drop off. However since I am in recovery mode the weight has returned and now I am joining you all in fighting the battle of reducing my food intake and I agree it is hard.

When I have the longing for chocolate I am substituting it for a cup of coffee. However I failed last night and ate 4 chocolate mint sticks hmm

It must be so hard Wot to give up the ciggies but there are so many illnesses that are connected with smoking it really is worth trying to kick the habit, easy for me to say but we are ALL behind you in your quest for a healthier life.

As Ruby so wisely said ONE DAY AT A TIME.

f77ms Sat 28-Jan-17 08:14:00

wot I did it 2 years ago with an ecig . Have you considered one ? I have tried all the other alternatives in the past and failed but last time it was so easy . Your half a ciggy is just the start of the slippery slope! I am sure there will be the usual comments about ecigs but they are 95% safer than ciggies according to The World Health Organisation (or what ever they are called) regardless of anybody`s personal opinion . One bit of advice though , don`t buy a cheap one . Good luck x

Badenkate Sat 28-Jan-17 08:33:04

Read the end of your last sentence wot and then ask yourself again if it's worth it! You've done so well, keep going flowers

Badenkate Sat 28-Jan-17 08:43:24

This is such a great idea for a thread, please let's keep the comments positive. I know Charleygirl meant well with her comment to me, but I really want to lose all this weight and telling me she probably wouldn't bother if she thought about the amount didn't help a great deal. I am trying to stay upbeat and celebrating each stage and it will be great to be able to tell you all how I'm getting on if you don't mind.

mumofmadboys Sat 28-Jan-17 09:00:39

We would be delighted to support you Badenkate. Have you got a DH? Could you set yourself goals so that you can have a reward for each say 3kg you lose such as a bottle of perfume ,bubble bath or a new item of clothes? Actually you don't even need a DH for that do you! Good luck!