Gransnet forums

Health

Tramadol

(64 Posts)
petra Mon 19-Jun-17 17:51:33

I've just been reading that Ant ( of And & Dec fame) is addicted to Tramadol. Now Lorraine Kelly has admitted that she found it a ' very seductive drug'
Two weeks ago I was prescribed Tramadol (100mg) They helped a little but certainly didn't stop the pain so my Dr added 600mg ibuprofen to help. That did the trick.
I certainly haven't experienced the euphoria that they have, has anyone else?
I could have done with a bit of euphoria in the past couple of weeks grin

Luckygirl Mon 19-Jun-17 17:55:38

Yes - definitely - I get it with codeine too. Also it knocks me out good and proper. Certainly if I were you I would be discussing an alternative with my GP.

Ana Mon 19-Jun-17 18:00:57

600mg Ibuprofen in one dose? That sounds a lot.

I've never had Tramadol, but wouldn't recommend Oramorph (liquid morphine) as although it works well on pain it made me very depressed.

Jane10 Mon 19-Jun-17 18:03:41

I hated it. It made me feel so sick. I had it at one point after my knee replacement. DD had it after a C section and said it helped.
Different drugs affect different people differently. Glad you've got a combination that helps.
I was very sorry to hear about poor Ant.

Suki70 Mon 19-Jun-17 18:03:48

I certainly didn't experience euphoria when I was prescribed it for a prolapsed disc -it didn't relieve the pain and
it made me sick! The doctor then said it has this effect on 33% of people and switched me to co codamol.

merlotgran Mon 19-Jun-17 18:10:01

Tramadol knocked me for six when I was prescribed it for sciatica. I had to stop taking it as I just couldn't function and felt sick all the time.

Charleygirl Mon 19-Jun-17 18:14:08

It barely worked for me painwise and I had no side effects

petra Mon 19-Jun-17 18:48:01

Strange isn't it how different drugs react on different people?
I wish you could still get Dystalgesic. This was the perfect pain killer for me, but alas they took it off the market.

M0nica Mon 19-Jun-17 20:04:52

It was prescribed for my father when he was in extreme pain and it caused hallucinations and disorientation. The balance of the prescription remained at home after he was admitted to hospital and I entertained the idea of keeping them for when I have severe migraine, but after googling Tramadol and reading the warnings etc, plus the state they put my father in, I decided that the best thing to do was to hand them in at the local pharmacy.

FarNorth Mon 19-Jun-17 20:19:27

My DD has Tramadol for severe period pain. As far as I know, she doesn't get any euphoria and only takes it if she really has to.

cornergran Mon 19-Jun-17 20:31:45

I can't tolerate Tramadol. I certainly sleep but I am very 'out of it' in the daytime. It doesn't work for me but we're all different.

valeriej43 Mon 19-Jun-17 20:48:14

Tramadol is the biggest killer of all prescription drugs, Drs dont like to prescribe it,
A lot of Tramadol is sold by drug addicts,
A friend of mines husband died overdosing [accidentally] on Tramadol, and i know a young lad addicted to it
I have taken it in the past for a very short time,it is generally a very good pain killer, but wouldnt take it for long

J52 Mon 19-Jun-17 20:49:25

Prescribed it after a jaw operation, so open wound in the mouth. I had strong antibiotics as well, but I must admit I had no pain. However, I did feel nauseous most of the time, also terrified as I couldn't open my jaw for a week and dreaded vomiting! Yuk, never again!

Deedaa Mon 19-Jun-17 21:05:07

DH has been using it for a couple of years, mainly to cope with his back pain. The dose varies according to how he feels, sometimes only one or two in 24 hours and occasionally working up to the full eight a day. To be honest they don't have a massive effect on the pain but they do make him feel better.

One of his friends was taking eight a day for two years while he waited for a knee replacement. He had an awful time with withdrawal after he had the operation.

Regalo Mon 19-Jun-17 21:25:44

After my hip replacement, Tramadol had no effect at all...I might just as well have chomped smarties!

Morgana Mon 19-Jun-17 22:48:10

It's supposed to be really addictive. Hate taking painkillers and think as a society we take far too many
It's okay if u really are in great pain of course. Also painkillers can cause Constipation

POGS Mon 19-Jun-17 22:51:44

I have taken Tramadol for years alongside Meloxicam and I have no problem.

I used to take up to 8 a day and 2 Meloxicam but I now take 2/4 a day but I will take more if I go into spasm.

Hubby cannot take it , it makes him feel nauseous.

Over the years , like most people with chronic pain, I have tried every pain control available but Tramadol simp!y works for me. I guess it's a case of what works for one doesn't for another.

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Jun-17 23:49:02

Tramadol knocked me for six too after an operation, as does Co-codamol.
The GP has said No to any ibuprofen medication or any anti-inflammatories at all in fact and said just take 8 paracetamol every day, which do not do the trick so I don't often take them.

Luckylegs9 Tue 20-Jun-17 07:15:53

I have an intolerance to tablets, could be physiological, trouble is most tablets treat the whole of the body not just the area that's bad, like a back problem, can understand how anyone could become addicted when they are taken for long periods. Petra hope your back gets better quickly, I was on high dose pain relief, morphine based for 6 weeks, many years ago now, I have never forgotten how I'll they made me feel, but the pain was so bad that I took them. In the end I took myself off them as I felt zonked out most of the time. Feel sorry for Ant, he has the physical pain of his leg and the emotional pain of wanting a child, hope he gets the help he needs.

ninathenana Tue 20-Jun-17 07:25:27

D has had tramadol for a knee problem she was born with.
They're not an effective pain killer for her unless combined with something else, I can't remember what.
D doesn't like the 'brain fog' it gives her. She certainly dosen't feel euphoric when taking it and in her case it's a last resort.

grannypiper Tue 20-Jun-17 07:31:24

Tramadol is evil, i can barely remember the period of time that i was taking it as it just took over my brain, My DH had it after his accident and it made him so aggressive. My poor dear friend was found in the woods with a stash of Tramadol and just about to take her own life although she has no memory of it. I wouldn't give that drug to my worst enemy.

Christinefrance Tue 20-Jun-17 08:53:00

I am the same as Jalima1108 one day's dosage of Tramodol left me in bed for 24 hours, Co-codamol makes me pass out.
I feel so sorry for people who have addiction problems with prescribed medication, we are often not informed of possible side effects, the literature plays it down. Its difficult to know how each person will react. Hope Ant gets the help he needs.

Gagagran Tue 20-Jun-17 09:07:25

I would warn against Ibuprofen too. After copious and prolonged use for arthritic pain I was struck down with severe gastritis last December. I am still having episodes of pain if I eat something my stomach doesn't like.

According to the consultant it is dangerous and should not be available over the counter. He also said it should always be prescribed and taken with omeprazole.

My DH refuses all medication including pain killers after emergency surgery for peritonitis. Maybe he's wise to do so.

annsixty Tue 20-Jun-17 09:41:12

I realise just how lucky I amto be able Toto!state most things and bet pain relief from whatever is prescribed. My S isn't so lucky he had gout and psoriatic (sp) arthritis and one dose of tramadol turned him into a different person for about 24 hours. He can take low dosage
cocodamol but nothing stronger.

annsixty Tue 20-Jun-17 09:42:16

Fat finger strikes again!!