Gransnet forums

Health

January tiredness

(71 Posts)
SussexGirl60 Sun 14-Jan-18 13:59:21

I know there’s a lot of ill health at the moment, but that aside, how many people just feel downright worn out and fed up in January? I work in the health industry so am supposed to fix myself(!) but every year is the same for me. I just have no energy at all once Christmas is over. I even had to come home early from a day out last week...and it was sunny and lovely but I just couldn’t drag myself around any more. Any tips on how to cope with this extreme need to just watch tv and eat chocolate?! Or should I just go with the flow?!

whitewave Sun 14-Jan-18 14:04:26

Yesterday I had a couldn’t be assed to do anything day and feel very demotivated this time of year. But I go with the flow as I think it is perfectly natural. Low light = low mood.

Wonder what they do in Scandinavia?

Anniebach Sun 14-Jan-18 14:06:04

I learned to go with the flow Sussexgirl, after years of feeling depressed and tired every January . I even use to buy students diaries because January was not the first month entered.

Bridgeit Sun 14-Jan-18 16:00:11

Definitely go with the flow, eat, drink, slouch,watch rubbish, don't answer the phone etc etc,

ElaineI Sun 14-Jan-18 20:38:21

It's the January lurgy! Weather is usually dull, cold, gloomy. Excitement of Christmas and New Year finished and next holidays/celebrations seem ages away. Still quite dark in morning and dark early evening. Also what is becoming more widely known is that in the UK we lack vitamin D which is probably at it's lowest in December/January. Bring on the Spring1

Smithy Sun 14-Jan-18 22:06:35

Sussex girl, I could have written that post tonight myself - exactly how I am feeling.
Personally, I have given up trying to fight it and going with the flow. Today I didn't get showered and dressed until lunchtime, although I have done a few jobs in the house. I made myself a reasonably healthy but easy evening meal and have dozed off twice whilst watching TV ( and eating chocolate!) I will wait until January is over and be easy on myself. Hope you can too.

mrsmopp Mon 15-Jan-18 00:03:42

I'm always the same in January. I feel so flat after Xmas and new year. We've still got the dark evenings and awful weather. I should take the opportunity to have a clear out but just can't be bothered. Just want to rest and read and wait for Spring. I think there's a name for this, - is it seasonal affliction disorder or some thing? SAD, that's it. I've got SAD.

felice Mon 15-Jan-18 00:33:54

I thought it was just me, I could sleep on the head of a pin at the moment. I keep forcing myself to stay up late or i would just hibernate in bed.
It is not helped by the fact that Brussels had no sunny/dry days for the whole of December, sun out today and DGS commented on the way home from Church that it was a Sunny Day. He sounded so surprised.

ajanela Mon 15-Jan-18 01:24:59

Portugal very wet. I have spent a number of what my friend call "pyjama days" in front of the fire. Unfortunately no chocolate in the house. If you don't have to go out enjoy being home and rest.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 15-Jan-18 01:53:45

I used to say January is the month of apathy and lethargy. It's because we fight the rhythm of our bodies and we should really be getting up when the sun rises and resting when the sun goes down. Dr Wilma © 2018 wink grin

eazybee Mon 15-Jan-18 08:51:21

I usually like January because it is cold and crisp; at the moment it is more like February Filldyke, dark and gloomy. Plus people are tired after the ridiculous amount of extra work that a modern Christmas engenders. It seems to me that our generation are still doing the bulk of Christmas preparation and catering for our adult children, who seem incapable of producing a Christmas meal, even once.(sore point).

Teetime Mon 15-Jan-18 09:07:41

Today is called Blue Monday and its supposed to be the most depressing day of the year. I loathe January but today I am using a competition win from Xmas which is a mini spa day for 2 people so I'm taking a new friend my Zumba teacher as she needs a boost too. We are both awaiting surgery and I hope it will give us a boost and a chance to get to know each other better.

travelsafar Mon 15-Jan-18 09:10:19

I love these dark glomy days.It is the perfect excuse to snuggle down indoors, read, clear cupboards, catch on letter writing to friends, or simply watch TV.After doing my chores in the morning I curl up on the sofa, wack up the heating and watch a good film or drama until its time to prepare our evening meal. I don't feel guilty as you can't work in the garden,I don't want to spring clean, the gloom hides the cobwebs, don't want to be outside so enjoy your home for a few weeks then re -emerge when the spring has arrived.

Rosina Mon 15-Jan-18 09:37:28

Sounds as if a lot of us feel this way. I got up feeling old, fat and completely lacking in motivation. A shower, hair wash and some makeup have helped about 1% but I am sitting here trying to work up enough energy to dry my hair and get dressed. Perhaps I'll do a few cupboards today (good suggestion travelsafar ) and perhaps that will inspire me for the rest of this week.

DS64till Mon 15-Jan-18 09:44:50

Have a fantastic time xx

TillyWhiz Mon 15-Jan-18 09:46:29

I do know the feeling well and have a DH who suffers badly. So I try to make myself do indoor chores telling myself then I can get outside when the sun shines and, if it does, then I do! We do a daily positive/negative check on events of the day - it's amazing how it starts off so negative and then gradually we end up looking for and making the positives. Give yourself a regular treat - not always chocolate or wine of course!

Lilyflower Mon 15-Jan-18 09:49:22

January is awful! Bad weather, no light, Christmas over and little yet to look forward to. I read , also, that women suffer worse from S.A.D. than men and I know that, despite taking vitamin D, my nails are splintering to pieces so my physical condition is poor. Blue Mionday is upon us too!

So.... The only way is up. Hang on in there with the hot water bottles, the TV (which, after Christmas, has improved), the books, the wintry walks and the small comforts of life and the weather, the light and life itself will soon improve. There is some consolation in the fact that everyone is feekling the same.

Do as Pollyanna did and play the 'grateful game'. What have we to be thankful for?

Lilyflower Mon 15-Jan-18 09:49:47

Feeling, not feekling! Doh!

sarahellenwhitney Mon 15-Jan-18 10:02:23

If it were at all possible I would hibernate from 1st Nov until 1st March.

Diggingdoris Mon 15-Jan-18 10:02:28

I usually feel like that but in December I started taking vitamin D supplement. I really think it has helped as I feel quite bright and perky each morning. I badly miss spending the day gardening as that gives me a boost each time, so I'm looking forward to a dry day.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 15-Jan-18 10:09:17

eazybee
Cold and crisp January where.?
In my part of the SW over the past 24hours it has rained non stop . The forecast is more rain.

grandMattie Mon 15-Jan-18 10:09:58

Lily vitA for nails I think.
I take Vit D. Normally like cold, but loathe the dreary weather.
Yep, the only way is up - the days are getting longer, the sun is warming up [?], and spring should be unpon usnin o time at all!!! grin

trendygran Mon 15-Jan-18 10:18:01

Reading these posts has even made me feel a little better as I now know that others are feeling the 'January blues' . Haven't felt really well so far this year and being on.my own (.widowed over 9 years ago ) seems even more lonely than usual. As others have said -roll on Spring !

allule Mon 15-Jan-18 10:23:06

It's my daughter's birthday today, and she's trying hard to stay cheerful despite the date!

Eskay10 Mon 15-Jan-18 10:40:42

Off to afternoon cinema which is half price on Mondays, all day, to see the film about Churchill.