Gransnet forums

Health

How to stop snoring?

(52 Posts)
gardengnome Thu 09-Aug-18 16:01:54

Bit embarrassing so I've changed my username for this one.
I've started snoring. Well, I've always snored a bit but apparently it's become very loud and my husband has taken a recording to prove it to me. He's quite charming usually but I think I didn't look like I was believing him blush. Anyway, he's now sleeping in the spare room and although I know this works for some couples I'd really prefer for us to sleep together sad. Any surefire solutions? I'm always a bit suspect of anonymous online reviews and product claims so I haven't bought anything yet. Would prefer to hear a real recommendation from you lot. So, please gransnetters, how can I stop snoring?

tanith Thu 09-Aug-18 16:59:09

My daughter also snores as do I, she bought something from Amazon that is quite small made of silicone that holds the tongue forward and it works really well. She said it took a couple of night to get used to but we shared a room on a trip and she didn’t snore at all. I can find out the name if you want I think she said it cost less than £12.

Farmor15 Thu 09-Aug-18 17:29:19

I’m another one who snores- I ddn’t believe it for a while but now have been told by a few (apart from husband) I’ve decided it must be true. I think I’ll have to investigate the device Tanith mentioned as I’m going on holidays with a friend in a few weeks.

Auntieflo Thu 09-Aug-18 18:50:07

Tanith, another here who would probably benefit from such a device. Can you let us know what it is called please. Thanks.

tanith Thu 09-Aug-18 19:19:24

If you go to Amazon and then search tongue stabilising devices in health and beauty there are lots at different prices they are all very similar. My daughter can’t remember the exact name. It may not work for all snorers but if you have that floppy tongue thing going on it may help.

BBbevan Thu 09-Aug-18 20:13:57

Just looked on Amazon and found that tongue thing. I showed it to DH who snores a lot and loudly. He said " Well you know how it works? It is so uncomfortable that you can't sleep" ?

Blinko Thu 09-Aug-18 20:19:42

Place a pillow over his face - then sit on it....

Doodle Thu 09-Aug-18 22:22:34

I have heard that if you sleep on your side you don't snore. Billy Connolly tip was wear T shirt with pocket back to front and put a ball in the pocket to make it uncomfortable if you lay on your back.

stella1949 Fri 10-Aug-18 00:48:17

Get a foam rubber wedge pillow. They are also called " sleep apnoea pillows" . They elevate your head about a foot above the mattress. My husband snored horribly, and was tested for sleep apnoea which he did have. The doc recommended one of these pillows and he has never snored from that day. You can buy them from foam rubber shops or online - just search for sleep apnoea pillows.

mumofmadboys Fri 10-Aug-18 06:25:51

Snoring can be related to being overweight. If so this obviously cannot be fixed in a hurry. Worth seeing your GP who may suggest an ENT referral especially if it is a new problem.

Canalboatgranma Fri 10-Aug-18 10:02:40

You could see your GP and see if you have developed Sleep Apnoea. Another symptom is sleepiness during the day. I have it and use a Continuous Positive Pressure (CPAP) machine and now both my husband and I sleep peacefully.

glammagran Fri 10-Aug-18 10:03:47

Not true in my experience Doodle. Husband is often banished to the spare room aka the Snoratorium. I can prod him 100 times while he snores on his side.

GabriellaG Fri 10-Aug-18 10:27:43

Enjoy sleeping on your own. Stretch out, read books, sleep well. You won't mind your own snoring and will appreciate having a whole bed to yourself. It's healthier.

HAZBEEN Fri 10-Aug-18 10:29:27

I am another snorer! I even snore if I fall asleep sitting up, so on long journeys I try never to drop off! My OH sleeps in another room but its also because I suffer a lot of pain in my legs and hip at night. He also snores (and talks in his sleep!), even the cat snores!! I think most people do at some time or another but in some it can be really bad!

Ronnie Fri 10-Aug-18 10:31:03

Losing weight has almost stopped my DH snoring. GP may be able to give advice.
Good luck!

Nanevon Fri 10-Aug-18 10:45:52

Tanith - Any idea which device as Amazon have several at different prices.

Gma29 Fri 10-Aug-18 10:49:03

My OH snores dreadfully, and after years of poor sleep I moved into the spare room. He doesn’t like it, but he wasn’t the one being kept awake half the night, virtually every night. It’s bliss. I can now read before I go to sleep, have the window open, and I’m not woken at 6.00am every morning, which is his preferred “wake up” time (but not mine!).

We did try a couple of different things first, pillows, spray, those nose strips, but nothing worked. I hope you find a solution.

Telly Fri 10-Aug-18 11:16:23

You can buy strips from Boots that go over your nose and expand the airway. Bit like sticking plasters. They do work. Called something like Snoreze.

ReadyMeals Fri 10-Aug-18 11:18:37

Increasing numbers of people have their own rooms now, including myself and other friends. There is usually one from each couple who instigates it, and the other who would prefer not to at first. I've not heard of anyone who in the end didn't come round to it and start enjoying the benefits. It just feels a bit strange at first like any change. You do of course have to communicate more over sexual intimacy, if you're a couple that is used to it "just happening" after you go to bed.

lizzypopbottle Fri 10-Aug-18 11:26:47

Micropore tape! Tape your mouth shut. You can't snore while breathing through your nose.

Craftycat Fri 10-Aug-18 11:37:31

Apparently I snore but how DH can tell over the racket he makes I do not know!
When my sons were living at home the noise level in the house at night was unbelievable. I didn't snore then
I'm still not convinced I do & I think it is his way of making himself feel better- I shared a room with a friend when we went to NYC on a break & she said I didn't but then she was a very nice friend!

Bathsheba Fri 10-Aug-18 11:47:25

I moved into the spare room years ago, and there is no way I could go back to sharing a room with DH. He snores like a train. He says I snore too, but that it doesn't bother him. Well lucky him is all I can say! I really cannot sleep through it. I used to be able to cope, just about, if I got to sleep before him, but then I'd wake needing the loo, he'd be snoring loudly and that was my sleep wrecked for the rest of the night.
Now I have a whole double bed to myself, no-one rolling over and taking my half of the duvet with him, I can sit up and read for as long as I like, I can have music playing softly to get me off to sleep, have the fan on, the window open. You get the picture. As Gma29 said, it's bliss smile

Legs55 Fri 10-Aug-18 12:00:17

glammagran I agree, I sleep on my side & snore, DH also did (sadly no longer a problem as I'm now widowed). DD tells me I snore when I've stayed with her but then again so do DGSs & their dog. My cat also snores but not loudlygrin

Helen2806 Fri 10-Aug-18 12:12:35

We always start of the night in the same room, to talk, pray, make love etc.. then one of us often moves to the spare room to sleep. It works for us, not just re snoring but also hot flushes, nighttime loo visits etc.

widgeon3 Fri 10-Aug-18 13:38:53

When he eventually sleeps he sleeps extremely soundly. Whereas he complained of my snoring very soon after we turned out the light, now I find that if I delay my bedtime... on various premises eg U3A homework he is fast asleep by the time I go to bed and there are NO complaints at all.