Gransnet forums

Health

The Black Dog Gang

(1000 Posts)
oldbatty Sun 16-Sep-18 13:15:37

Come on board if you feel like or if you are working your way out of it.

Its such a rotten, lonely thing. Perhaps we can support each other here.

kittylester Sun 16-Sep-18 13:18:05

What a good idea oldbatty. I'm sure lots of people will find support here.

I am lucky - I appear not to be a black dog type of person.

KatyK Sun 16-Sep-18 13:22:40

Good idea. Friends and family are supportive in the main but must get fed up of hearing it. I used to be in the 'pull yourself together' brigade until it happened to me.

Luckygirl Sun 16-Sep-18 13:25:46

So true katyK - true depression is indescribable until you have suffered it. I just felt so monumentally ILL that I wanted to depart this life to end the suffering!

The pills have made it go away. Hooray!

Peep Sun 16-Sep-18 13:31:36

I’ll join!

KatyK Sun 16-Sep-18 13:33:11

I've felt that way too Lucky. I'm glad the pills have helped.

Anniebach Sun 16-Sep-18 13:46:53

With you batty

oldbatty Sun 16-Sep-18 14:28:34

kitty , you can still be in the gang. You can offer tips!

Eilyann70 Sun 16-Sep-18 15:30:47

I'm in!

Teetime Sun 16-Sep-18 16:01:29

Im in too...mine comex and goes and I manage it quite well but proably too dependant on less than healthy comforts.

NannyG4 Sun 16-Sep-18 16:04:07

I'm definitely in ....thanks o!dbatty for starting this 'gang'. I already feel uplifted that I can share my thoughts\feelings with fellow sufferers. We can all help each other in our down times.
I'm now taking sertraline.... (have been on prozac, citalapram and beta blockers in the past) which is helping but still have these empty feelings some days when I feel as if I've 'died' inside.
Xxx

Doodle Sun 16-Sep-18 23:25:34

Not bad enough to be in your gang oldbatty but have skirted round the edge a few times. It makes me feel truly bad but for those who really suffer I have the greatest sympathy. There are days when I have been sick with worry but I suffer more from extreme anxiety rather than depression.
Good idea to start a support group though. It always helps to talk to others who know what you are going through.

MissAdventure Sun 16-Sep-18 23:41:53

Count me in.
I wouldn't say I'm a person who generally suffers from depression, but circumstances dragged me down to the absolute bottom of... well, I don't know. A bottomless, black, revolting pit?
I have never felt so mentally unwell as I did at that point.

NonnaW Sun 16-Sep-18 23:44:55

Mine us3d to be a black cloud, rather than the full blown black dog, but I can fully sympathise with you true sufferers. I remember people asking ‘what’s wrong’ and not knowing!, just knowing everything felt s**t. I knew, even them, that it would pass. How awful must it be (and my DSD suffers with this) to not know for sure that it will end. Keep strong people. Life can be tough, and we need to be tougher to cope sometimes.

downtoearth Mon 17-Sep-18 10:51:14

I am in as well,I can be going along quite happily and bang its there again .This time my rock has shifted,I could feel an impending doom when the smell of autumn hit the air.I am a complete mess at the moment,a few weeks ago so happy with my weight loss and starting at gym,now struggling to wake up in mornings and dreading long dark days,I havent suffered SAD before,but this time of year is associated with losses and bereavments,and blacktimes,and anxiety never far away is my constant companion lately,even though I am well medicated.Am now going to tear myself out of bed and force my sorry arse to the gym.wishing all of you some inner peace today

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Sep-18 11:30:20

I don't know if any of you have heard of this charity and the young woman featured who has walked from Land's End to John 'O Groats to raise money for it:

www.julesforth.com/walkingtheblackdog/sane-black-dog-campaign-uk/

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Sep-18 11:31:57

I thought I would post a link to it as there is a link within it which may be helpful to someone.

mcem Mon 17-Sep-18 12:06:04

Perhaps this thread is just what I need make me talk to the gp. Have had a hard summer, hate Autumn and not looking forward to winter!
Total exhaustion (post-op) took me to the surgery a week ago and I have another appointment to discuss blood results next week. Hoping it's something simple like
underactive thyroid which can be easily remedied but I believe there's more to it.
Unmotivated, lazy, CBA with anything much and thinking thoughts I just don't recognise.
Will go on reading here but will also raise subject with gp.

blossom14 Mon 17-Sep-18 12:07:46

I would like to join too.

oldbatty Mon 17-Sep-18 12:10:23

I think, sometimes mcem, we would rather it was anything rather than low mood. We scan the horizon looking for a solution.....iron deficiency,thyroid troubles, going through a bad patch.

Obviously I'm not medically trained but sometimes its hard to admit you've got depression. Sometimes if I'm feeling brave, I just say it , in the same tone of voice people might use to say they have a bad cold.

GillT57 Mon 17-Sep-18 12:55:32

Count me in please.

Nonnie Mon 17-Sep-18 13:30:03

The hardest thing is accepting that there is nothing you can do about it.

oldbatty Mon 17-Sep-18 14:08:25

sorry Nonnie, what do you mean there please?

Nonnie Tue 18-Sep-18 13:06:02

oldbattey when you feel so bad and there is nothing anyone can do to help you. No pills, no therapy just give up or hope to survive

oldbatty Tue 18-Sep-18 13:38:55

Nonnie, thats terrible. Please chat about your difficulties. We will put our heads together and try to help.

You are not alone.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion