Gransnet forums

Health

Help! Hip horror!

(62 Posts)
Shizam Sun 23-Sep-18 01:03:14

Been in floods of tears today cos couldn’t get flipping sock on right foot. My right hip a week ago has decided it doesn’t work any more. Been getting worse through week. Taking painkillers which help, stretches, which are a bit meh. Fine when I’m upright. Just anything bendy or horizontal.
Yes. Need to phone GP, but they are so rubbish here. May get an appt next month, or not. I live alone. I need to wear socks. It’s cold! Any useful suggestions? Did think about finding a physio? Has this worked for you?

Maybelle Sun 23-Sep-18 01:29:29

Quick practical info.
You can get an aid for putting on socks from somewhere like millercare. Or Amazon.
Millercare sell a sock aid for around £13.
Not tried physio myself.

Willow500 Sun 23-Sep-18 07:12:25

How about acupuncture - that might help a bit but it does sound like you need to see the GP even if it's just for a referral for physio. In the meantime I've also seen aids for putting socks on - they look like very long shoe horns. You could try sheepskin slippers too which keep the feet toastie warm.

DanniRae Sun 23-Sep-18 07:22:26

Doesn't your GP have emergency appointments?
Sorry I have no advice but am sending you a big bunch of flowers and my best wishes for an end to your troubles x

BlueBelle Sun 23-Sep-18 07:36:10

I don’t think there’s a practical way of getting socks on without buying a gadget but all doctors surgeries should have an emergency appointment system

hillwalker70 Sun 23-Sep-18 08:02:05

If you cannot get an emergency appt. then try to get to an osteopath. One helped me to keep going until I had hip replacement, good luck.

Grannynise Sun 23-Sep-18 09:03:01

I tried a sock gadget and it was incredibly difficult to use. It was basically a piece of plastic which you stretched the sock over. There was a cord then to pull it on to your foot. If you can find something different maybe it would be better. Or try with very loose socks.

tiredoldwoman Sun 23-Sep-18 09:44:21

I use a trick of locating the ouchy bit, pressing really hard and massaging for the count of 16 , it works for me .
I read about it on an article about trigger points , might give you some relief to get the socks back on . Cold feet will main your pain worse - stay cosy ! smile

Sparklefizz Sun 23-Sep-18 09:59:11

Shizam - try an osteopath. It works for me!

annodomini Sun 23-Sep-18 10:52:49

I'd recommend acupuncture. It can bring about a surprisingly quick result. You can usually find a registered practitioner by looking on line. Good luck. I feel your pain!

Shizam Sun 23-Sep-18 11:14:32

Thanks very much for your advice. Amazing how you take body parts for granted - until they go wrong!

OldMeg Sun 23-Sep-18 11:45:03

Try something topical eg volterol

Just a little, rubbed in at the ‘ouch’ point about 30 minutes before you need to put sock on. Might help.

Grannyknot Sun 23-Sep-18 11:57:54

shizam, I feel for you. My daughter had a hip replacement at 15 - in the run up she would lie on the bed and bend her leg at the knee backwards and get her sock on that way. In other words, she used a knee bend, and was supported by the bed, rather than try and bend down towards the foot. Perhaps this will help.

Coolgran65 Sun 23-Sep-18 12:06:38

I find the topical ointments/gels are quite good at taking the edge off the pain. Voltereze/Feldene Gels.
Even the own brands like Asda do a gel which has helped and it is much cheaper, it's in a red tube, if I remember correctly.

Fennel Sun 23-Sep-18 12:25:03

It might not be the same problem, but what works for me when putting on shoes and socks is to sit on the 2nd step of the stairs (if you have them.)
For some reason the bending over is much easier from there than from a chair or bed height.

tiredoldwoman Mon 24-Sep-18 05:28:54

How's the hip this morning , Shizam ?

optimist Mon 24-Sep-18 11:07:43

Yes, I have had the "sock" problem for a few years gets worse every winter. I did buy a "sock aid" from Amazon but for the moment a friend suggested that I sit on the stairs to put socks on and this works for me. Yesterday I bought some shoes that have a zip up the centre and they work too. So, panic over (for the moment). Not a problem in the summer when I just slip on Birkenstocks.

optimist Mon 24-Sep-18 11:08:33

Yes, that works for me too.

Willow10 Mon 24-Sep-18 11:15:34

I was trying to remember how I put socks ( and pants!) on before my hip replacement. I think I lifted my foot up backwards whilst sitting on the edge of the bed. What I do remember vividly is the pain that I suffered for years before finally getting the op, so my heart goes out to you. I hope you get a gp appointment soon. Tests, xrays, scans, operations - everything takes so long these days.

JacquiG Mon 24-Sep-18 11:23:31

Osteopath is a good bet. There is also magnesium oil spray (which husband uses, not scientifically proven but it works for him and not expensive from Amazon). Epsom salt baths if you can get in. (and out.)

I found that ligaments are often the cause of the problem so take large amounts of omega-3 oil, and turmeric which is an anti-inflammatory. Lots of vitamin D too. The combination works for me. Can't promise it for others.

The problem is that these things are not cheap. But good luck and pass on what works?

Camelotclub Mon 24-Sep-18 11:26:48

If you've got anything like cooking tongs you could try those. I had a new hip in April so sympathise with how you feel! I was DH to help but realise not everyone has that luxury.

Camelotclub Mon 24-Sep-18 11:27:38

PS Be careful with things like fish oil and Omega 3 oil if you have to take blood thinners. They can exacerbate the thinning.

sandelf Mon 24-Sep-18 11:39:03

Argos and Boots for sock aid. Depressing though! But I've been where you are. Yes go to Doc, but also fend for yourself - ie google strengthening exercises for hip and bum. And then do them same time everyday like going to work! - It took me 12 weeks of boring and sometimes painful (but not injurious pain) to improve my muscles in the area - and really if I neglect it for more than a few days I'm relapsing so it's a priority for the foreseeable future. Can you find a physio and have a one off assessment privately - they will most likely be able to advise best exercise for you etc. Operations all very well but if you can 'self help' its quicker and less damaging. Also take on board the nutrition advice - there's something to it. Meanwhile do not cry over stuck socks smile

Kim19 Mon 24-Sep-18 11:39:38

I use Boots ibuprofen full strength for pain relief. Works a treat and much cheaper than 'big' brands. Also use sitting on stairs method.

SueSocks Mon 24-Sep-18 11:49:41

There is a lot of practical advice above and I hope some of it helps. It is awful to be in this situation, unable to do the most basic things.
I would phone your GP and ask to see the duty doctor, they probably have one for emergencies and as you are unable to care for yourself, this is an emergency.
Could you have a phone consultation with your GP?
There is a walk in GP centre in the next town to where I live, anyone can go there and be seen (after a wait), is there something similar near you.
I fell and hurt my shoulder on a Sat night in March, couldn't move my arm from my side, maybe should have gone to A&E, didn't because (1) I thought it was bruising and would go away (2) Sat night in A&E - no way.
Several days later I phone my GP, got an appointment in a months time. A couple of days after this I was so desperate I phoned the NHS number 111 to ask if it was worthwhile me going to a walk-in centre or to A&E, they said that my surgery had to see me within 3 days and that they would contact them to inform them of this. My own GP phoned me the same day, arranged for me to see the duty doctor the same day, she gave me strong anti-inflammatories and arranged for X-Rays. After X-Rays I was referred to a physio.
Maybe consider phoning 111 (non-emergency NHS number) if you cannot get to see a GP in the next day or so.