Gransnet forums

Health

Teeth

(69 Posts)
Nanny123 Fri 28-Dec-18 08:03:20

Help! My front tooth fell out yesterday - it was a crown. I was told a couple of years ago by another dentist that the tooth was on borrowed time and when it finally gave up that it wouldnt be able to be replaced so now I have to decide what course of action to take. I already had a plate so if I decide to go along those lines again it means a whole new plate being made or do I bite the bullet and go for dentures - so what I am asking is what is your opinion of going for dentures?

Grannyknot Fri 28-Dec-18 08:07:52

Nanny can you not have a false tooth on a bridge? At least it is then a permanent arrangement. I've had experience of a single tooth on an upper plate - horrible, it didn't work for me but the bridge does.

Good luck.

dragonfly46 Fri 28-Dec-18 08:09:18

If you can afford it an insert is good

Grammaretto Fri 28-Dec-18 08:45:30

Sorry to hear this. I have a similar tooth on borrowed time! Good luck with your decision.Nanny123
I can't afford implants.
What's the difference between a plate and dentures?

Anja Fri 28-Dec-18 09:03:14

Implant

Fennel Fri 28-Dec-18 09:12:01

How do you know they can't add a new tooth to your plate?
I have plate, originally made for a front tooth, an old crown like yours. Later had another 2 added. as I lost them further back.

EllanVannin Fri 28-Dec-18 10:35:16

If it was an implant it would still be there ( a pickle-chaser ) after the others had crumbled ?

Telly Fri 28-Dec-18 10:44:58

This happened to a friend, she had an implant. It was ££ but seemed to be worth it.

Buffybee Fri 28-Dec-18 13:20:27

Personally, I would go down the implant route.
I have had 4 over the last few years and intend on having one every time a tooth becomes unviable.
Expensive, I know but as the advert goes, I think that I'm worth it. grin

janeainsworth Fri 28-Dec-18 14:09:58

nanny123 the only person who can answer your questions is your dentist.
What’s suitable and appropriate for one person isn’t necessarily so for someone else.
Good luck with whatever you decide. Losing a front tooth especially is distressing. flowers

Fennel Fri 28-Dec-18 14:37:08

As Jane says, ask your dentist first.
I was offered other options when I lost my front tooth crown. Apart from the cost, I couldn't face the prolongued preparation for an implant.

FlexibleFriend Fri 28-Dec-18 14:42:32

I'm confused a plate is a denture and you say you already have a plate.
Personally I'd avoid plates, dentures whatever you want to call them at all costs.
It may not be possible to have an implant it depends on the amount of bone and condition of your gums only your dentist can tell. I'd try for a bridge if the teeth either side of the crown are sound.

lemongrove Fri 28-Dec-18 15:15:10

Have both front teeth (crowns) done to match?

jeanie99 Sat 29-Dec-18 23:53:17

Get some professional advice I say this because I asked about implants for myself and was told this wasn't possible because I hadn't enough bone.
You need to talk about the options for your mouth advantages and disadvantages.
Get opinions from more than one dentist.
Best of luck.

kittylester Sun 30-Dec-18 06:59:50

jane is the expert here.

Grammaretto Thu 03-Jan-19 15:35:05

I'm having an almost front, lower tooth extracted tomorrow. The dentist says it's past saving and is causing infection.
He's very matter of fact. Whereas I am afraid. I can't afford an implant and think it's too near the front for a gap.
I suppose he'll suggest a plate with a denture. I'm so not looking forward to this day.
☹?

FlexibleFriend Thu 03-Jan-19 16:09:52

You can always have a bridge if the teeth either side are still good. Not cheap but cheaper than an implant.

Sparklefizz Thu 03-Jan-19 16:12:27

Flexible Don't bridges just eventually ruin the teeth either side where they are fixed on?

FlexibleFriend Thu 03-Jan-19 21:46:51

No the teeth either side are crowned and the bridge is sat in the gap of the missing tooth. I have a cantilever bridge, attached to just my canine tooth and filling the gap between my canine and front tooth, it's been there over 20 years and is doing fine. I lost my tooth in a car accident and for a ew months had a single tooth on a denture till the swelling died down, then had the bridge fitted and have honestly never given it a thought. It fits snugly, I have good gums around the tooth and there are no gaps and the teeth either side appear to be fine. The dentist checks it regularly. I'd certainly have another one if I needed to.

Grammaretto Thu 03-Jan-19 21:58:09

Thanks . I will ask about a bridge

Sparklefizz Fri 04-Jan-19 07:57:20

Ok. Thanks Flexible

CarlyD7 Fri 04-Jan-19 09:45:23

If you consider an implant, do your research. A friend of mine had 4 done and was very pleased with the result (they looked fantastic) BUT she then developed tinnitus for the first time in her life. She read up about it and found out that this is not uncommon (although there has not been any solid research about it but then, who would fund it ??)

lovebooks Fri 04-Jan-19 09:59:00

Ten years of problem crowns = ten years of my life - holidays wrecked, embarrassment, misery (not again, etc???) Five years ago I went for implants, but not before I'd done an exhaustive amount of research, and since then, no problems - just twice a year check-ups and clean-ups. Implants are expensive, but so are crowns, especially when they keep failing. One of the best decisions I ever made, and never regretted. Just wish I'd done it sooner. Get many, many dental opinions first, though, and do your research. I was really obsessive, because I'd really, really had enough.

Grammaretto Fri 04-Jan-19 10:13:36

You are all such a fount of information..
The tooth is out but I'm still numb so can't speak so I'm on my way home to recover.
I have my next appointment in May to decide what to do. Gap until then.
The dentist said the neighbouring tooth was too weak to support a bridge though there's a double bridge??
May go for an implant. @££££

genie10 Fri 04-Jan-19 10:31:10

As several others have suggested, I would recommend enquiring about implants first. You say you have other teeth on a plate - it may be possible to have a cheaper version of implants which is like a denture but much more secure and comfortable. However if you just need one implant, it is often possible to spread the cost but do research your dental surgeon first and don't just opt for the cheapest.