Gransnet forums

Health

Fed up with waiting

(44 Posts)
nanasam Thu 14-Mar-19 12:32:02

Hi, everyone,
I’ve been waiting for surgery for a few months and I feel as if it’s one step forward, two steps back. Since 31 December I’ve had 5 appointments cancelled and rebooked (2 to my knowledge were definitely because the consultant wanted time off). I can’t get through to the bed booking dept to check on waiting times and am getting sick to the back teeth of being messed about. DH thinks we should pay for private treatment just to get it done. Funny thing is, when we checked on the local private hospital the head of department is the very same consultant I saw in the NHS hospital (perhaps that’s why he wanted time off, to see to his private patients!)
Has anyone here transferred from NHS to private hospital? I’m not sure what to do so any help would be appreciated.

Izabella Thu 14-Mar-19 12:34:06

It depends on your operation and general health. If you needed ITU or high dependency afterwards I would stick with the NHS.

nanasam Thu 14-Mar-19 12:50:53

izabella, I’ve already had the pre-med booking and am in good health. It’s ‘routine’ sinus surgery and they thought it would be done in day surgery so no high dependency needed.

Sparklefizz Thu 14-Mar-19 16:09:15

nanasam I am sorry that you need it, but actually waiting approx 10 weeks for "routine surgery" isn't bad IMO compared to friends who have waited much longer for much more serious surgery, and meanwhile in pain and stress and having to cancel holidays.

Vonners Thu 14-Mar-19 20:01:40

I believe there's something called an 18 week pathway. Surgery is carried out within 18 weeks of I think your referral. Might be worth checking the exact criteria with your GP surgery.

Grammaretto Fri 15-Mar-19 06:21:24

A friend has at long last had a new hip. His wait was so long and painful, his wife pleaded with the MP to intervene and things speeded up. He was transferred to another city where they had a bed.

H1954 Fri 15-Mar-19 06:39:52

From experience, the GP won't have much influence; try your area CCG or consider making a complaint to your hospital PALS department. Good luck, and I hope you're not waiting too long for your surgery.

Anja Fri 15-Mar-19 07:18:12

If you can afford to pay then why not? However check out reviews of the private providers beforehand and what after-care is offered.

Have to say on the one occasion we had to go privately (eye operation for GS not available on NHS) we found it a very worthwhile experience.

PamelaJ1 Fri 15-Mar-19 07:38:47

I’ve just booked a consultation at my local Spire hospital.
I have some sun damage on the tip of my nose which has been identified as such by my GP. I have already had a rodent ulcer removed at the side of my nose so am a little concerned as I don’t want to have the end of my nose cut off if I can help it.
My GP told me to “keep your eye on it”! What does that mean? Do I wait till it’s much bigger so therefore more difficult to deal with and more unsightly.
I can’t do that so I’m paying.
Aren’t I lucky that I can afford it.
I don’t know what your op. is for nanasam but if waiting will compromise your condition and you can’t wait and can afford it then go private. Do take into account the aftercare though. Sometimes there isn’t much in the private sector.

harrigran Fri 15-Mar-19 09:20:10

I have used private hospitals several times, usually seeing a consultant I would have seen at the local hospital but getting an appointment within 48 hours instead of 8 to 10 weeks.
I would not have major surgery in a private hospital as they are not really equipped for ICU.

Suki70 Fri 15-Mar-19 16:13:31

Some private hospitals certainly do have Intensive Care and High Dependency units. My DH had a triple bypass op, the surgeon being also the head one at the nearby NHS hospital. After the op he spent two days in the ICU with a nurse sitting at his bedside all the time, followed by two days in the HDU which had just three other patients. The surgeons package included home visits afterwards from his wife, a highly qualified cardiac nurse. Brilliant service. Unfortunately this surgeon became so disillusioned with the NHS he emigrated to New Zealand.

Telly Fri 15-Mar-19 18:46:57

We have up trying to see local consultant, phoned his private secretary and saw him the next week. Sometimes you just have to go with it. We then came back to the NHS and saw him in the local hospital. Hey ho.

Grammaretto Fri 15-Mar-19 19:35:20

I had several months wait for MOHS surgery for a BCC on my nose last year. I did worry about it spreading as the months passed but I had such good treatment with the NHS.
I hope you get satisfaction whatever you decide.

pce612 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:27:23

I have had 2 sinus washouts, (both under general anaesthetic). The effects didn't last long - no long term benefits, so I wouldn't have it done again. Just saying.

I have a permanent post nasal drip so take an antihistamine every day, which helps a little. No idea what causes it, I have had the allergy prick tests to try and pin it down but it only showed that I was allergic to grass pollen.
I am sensitive to the detergent aisle in the supermarket and some fabric conditioners take my skin off.

Now I just live with always having to have a box of tissues in every room and a packet of tissues in my bag.

Fflaurie Sat 16-Mar-19 09:32:02

You may find it is on hold until the new financial year! Unfortunately, a great many NHS non-urgent surgeries are in the same position. As for not being able to get through to the bed manager, either phone PALS, their number will be on the hospital website or, send a recorded delivery letter to the surgeon asking what is happening.

jenni123 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:41:28

Many years ago I needed treatment and quickly so managed to go private, I saw the consultant then he transferred me to his NHS list, so I only had to pay for the initial consultation, then was seen and treated on the NHS.

Lazigirl Sat 16-Mar-19 09:51:13

The ENT waiting time in my area is infinitely longer for what is classed as non urgent treatment. Even for more serious conditions the wait is longer than it should be. This sadly is the result of underfunded, understaffed NHS, which used to be the pride of this country and envy of the world. I can understand those who can afford it paying to have private treatment, but what of those who can't? We only need to look to US to see what happens when Insurance Companies are in the driving seat.

Greciangirl Sat 16-Mar-19 10:07:37

Pce612.

I also have a post nasal drip. Tissues everywhere all day long.
Which antihistamine do you take. A non drowsy one I presume.

GrannyLaine Sat 16-Mar-19 10:15:38

As another poster suggested, contact PALS (patient advice and liaison service) at the hospital. Explain your concerns, they are there to listen and do what they can. Ask if other areas have shorter waiting lists etc. They can't work miracles but they have good links to the people that can. Its often about knowing who to speak to in the NHS to get what you need. If your operation has been cancelled 5 times, they should be listening....

Fernbergien Sat 16-Mar-19 10:16:27

Have you looked into joining Beneden? It is just over £20 a month per couple. They don’t cover everything but have been useful to us. Hernia and tooth root removal ops. Also other procedures. Been in it over 40 years. A godsend.

nanasam Sat 16-Mar-19 10:29:51

Pce612 and Greciangirl

Comforting to hear I'm not the only one, but sympathy with you. The post nasal drip has caused a cough, which I've had for 12 years. They've tried everything and this surgery is a last resort (doesn't sound very convincing). I should have had the surgery 4 years ago but decided to wait until I couldn't put up with the cough for any longer, which is where I am now, it's getting worse by the day! I've been taking co-codomol as a side effect of the codeine element is a cough suppressant.

Meanwhile, like you, I have a standing order with Kleenex!

David1968 Sat 16-Mar-19 10:47:43

I've had cataract "day surgery" - in 2005 one eye was done privately and (several years later) the other eye on the NHS. Absolutely no difference in the quality of surgery or care. (Or outcome - both were successful.) The reason for "going privately" the first time was because of the long NHS waiting list and also because I was working. The second time the lists were shorter and I was retired. If you are fortunate enough to have the money, then it's simply a choice that only you can make.

GabriellaG54 Sat 16-Mar-19 10:53:02

You have to pay before the op and there is no difference in care.

anitamp1 Sat 16-Mar-19 10:53:18

I worked in a hospital, and normally Consultants have to book time off weeks in advance, so there may have been good reasons he/she needed some short notice time off. You should be able to speak to his secretary. Frustrating for you. Hope you get sorted soon.

Jane43 Sat 16-Mar-19 10:55:26

My daughter-in-law’s father had hip surgery in a private hospital just a few days after my DH. DH had his on the NHS. My DH’s experience was far better, especially the after care. He was able to pass on advice which d-I-l’s father didn’t get. Just one experience of many I know but five years on d-i-l’s Father says it was a waste of £10,000.