Gransnet forums

Health

OH has fractured femur - not a good situation

(937 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 26-Mar-19 10:35:34

As many of you will know, OH has had PD for many years and is very frail. He only weighs 6.5 stone. Sadly he fell yesterday and has a displaced fracture of his femur. He is not a good candidate for surgery - but there is no choice.

It is a worry that the ward do not have the air mattress that he needs and that he has at home - we had just got on top of the skin problem. He was on a trolley for 12 hours yesterday which will not have helped.

I am waiting to hear when the op will be.

kittylester Thu 01-Aug-19 17:42:56

Big sigh plus a few expletives lucky.

It is a ridiculous situation.

NfkDumpling Thu 01-Aug-19 17:39:03

£494 is a very strange amount - is it worth asking for a breakdown of how they arrived at that figure?

Luckygirl Thu 01-Aug-19 17:00:16

Just had a call from the social worker who assessed him. She is trying to put through for him to get the maximum LA contribution which is £494 per week - but they will want him to contribute over £300 per week of his pension and benefits - so - if she can get this through - we will be better off by about £173 per week.

Better than a kick in the teeth, but it is laughable in the face of the real costs of £795 per week. And this £494 max LA contribution also applies to residential and nursing homes - find me a home that charges £494 per week!!! Whatever must happen to those with no savings or pension or someone willing to top up?

The final sting in the tail is that - even if it goes through - it will only be back-dated to when the SW visited, not to when his savings went below the limit and he qualified for LA funding - they agreed the date of this as they have the accounts and evidence of when this happened. But, even so, it has to be dated from when the SW was able to visit; something entirely beyond our control.

SW is now going off till Tuesday, when she will finish her form-filling and send it all through the system, so it could still be weeks before we get a final decision.

I have no problem with the idea that there should be a contribution from OH's pension - that makes complete sense and is entirely fair - but the fact that the cost of 24 hour care (whether at home or in a "home") should be assessed at £494 is totally disgraceful and a complete joke.

Little sigh.

Lazigirl Thu 18-Jul-19 12:27:46

I only have my very disabled mother to try and manage through the minefield that masquerades as the current care system, so I feel extremely sorry for you, annsixty and Luckygirl, and everyone who has a partner to care for. The emotional toll is immense without the hassle and hoops you have to jump through, and reams of form filling to obtain a small pittance in return, if you're lucky. I think it's disgraceful that you are expected to pay this bill for your Hs end of life care annsixty. I was a HV before my retirement and thought I knew the system, ha ha, I don't recognise it now and have felt totally disempowered.

Luckygirl Wed 17-Jul-19 14:56:51

Oh ann - it is all such a battle - sometimes it feels almost as if you are being punished for misfortune. How very wrong it all is. I hope you get somewhere with this ridiculous bill - it is inhumane. It was not a problem when the homes were run by the LA - they have all just become businesses now, out to make a buck.

I am still battling for NHS to fund the care - I have not given up on that. But in the meantime I will accept crumbs from the SSD table.

annsixty Wed 17-Jul-19 14:49:25

I agree there lucky but surely you should get some nursing care from the NHS.
Having said that, we never did, In spite of my H’s probs apart from dementia which is dismissed!!
I have already said on another thread, I have received an account for just under £2,500 for the last weeks of my H’s life, including three and a half weeks he was in hospital.
I am disputing it but am getting nowhere.
They were keeping his room for his return, they were never going to have him back.
There should be a charge taking off the care and food element, but no-one agrees with me.

Luckygirl Wed 17-Jul-19 14:39:30

ann - this is social services who would pick up the tab. They would pay £200 and we would pay £600 because the care really costs £800. The highest amount they think care should cost is £500. Hence our "contribution" of £300 in their eyes.

But it would save us £200 a week which is not to be sneezed at!

annsixty Wed 17-Jul-19 14:30:25

That begs a question Luckygirl
Would this be paid by the NHS and would SS pick up the rest of what you are paying now?
I am so pleased for you that the situation looks hopeful and you will be getting some help.

Luckygirl Wed 17-Jul-19 14:21:56

SW was an ex-colleague of mine so that eased the pain! She is hoping to get him into the "nursing" category which would mean they would contribute about £200 a week to his care over and above the £300 they want him to contribute - that would definitely be a help! Fingers crossed!

I am not good at looking decrepit - my genes have been kind to me as regards looking young (brown hair with no grey, and no wrinkles); but not kind when it comes to my hopeless skeleton! The first thing the SW said as she walked in the door was that I looked no older - one of life's positives in amongst all the mire.

Jane10 Wed 17-Jul-19 10:04:47

Ooh yes Charleygirl's right. Be sure the SW notices the state you're in!

aggie Wed 17-Jul-19 10:00:39

Wishing you all the best for a good result xxxxxxxxx

harrigran Wed 17-Jul-19 09:57:28

Hope the visit is successful.

luluaugust Wed 17-Jul-19 09:44:37

All the very best for todays SW visit flowers

Callistemon Wed 17-Jul-19 09:44:24

I have been thinking of you, wishing you all the best for the SW visit and a positive outcome.

Charleygirl5 Wed 17-Jul-19 09:16:42

If you have a pair of crutches or eg use a walking stick outdoors, meet the SW at the door using whatever you use outdoors.

Good luck.

Bellanonna Wed 17-Jul-19 09:12:32

Everything crossed for the SW visit Lucky. I agree with Midgey!

nanaK54 Wed 17-Jul-19 09:10:06

Hope that the SW visit is positive for you.
I continue to send kind thoughts to you and your DH flowers

midgey Wed 17-Jul-19 08:59:56

Luckygirl how is your knee? Make sure it’s really bad when the social worker comes! Seriously I do hope it is a bit easier. flowers

Luckygirl Wed 17-Jul-19 08:52:27

Social worker coming to do assessment this morning. OH very anxious about this. If they assess his care needs as sufficiently high - and how can they not? - we might get a small contribution towards the cost.....but I doubt it.

Luckygirl Tue 16-Jul-19 09:53:48

SueDonim - an interesting bunch indeed! I am sorry that your friend died this weekend; but glad to hear that the care was good.

Yesterday threw up another financial difficulty in that the decking which surrounds our bungalow (vital as the ground drops away steeply) is in need of repair and I got a quote - very scary, but it will have to be done.

SueDonim Mon 15-Jul-19 12:50:24

Thank you, Kittylester

Lazigirl Mon 15-Jul-19 12:14:11

I'm so pleased that live in care is working for you Lucky. What an interesting thought about your house insurance cover, I hope that comes up trumps. Oh dear, the T word has unpleasant connotations now grin.

BlueSky Mon 15-Jul-19 10:05:56

Thank you for your update Lucky I think this topic is of interest to many people who need to be cared for but don't like the option of residential care. Hope things continue to improve for you and your husband. flowers

cornergran Mon 15-Jul-19 07:56:44

Thank you for taking the time to update us lucky. Interesting carers indeed but such a relief. Look after yourself. I’ll be interested to hear if your house insurer legal cover will be able to support you.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 15-Jul-19 07:35:08

Luckygirl. I am glad you have found a workable compromise. I have an acquaintance who is a live in carer and speaks sincerely and warmly about those she looks after. It sounds as if you are both being looked after and that makes it better than residential care for your DH. I truly hope that the knowledge that you have been and continue to do your utmost helps you.