Gransnet forums

Health

Vitamin D stopped

(121 Posts)
blondenana Wed 10-Apr-19 22:15:50

Had to go to see Dr for a review of my prescriptions, and as my own Dr was off for 12 weeks after an operation,i had to see a locum,
I am absolutely fuming as she tried to stop some of my medication,
My own Dr put me on Vit D 800 mg,she said you dont need those you can buy some they are cheap enough only about £1
I said surely my Dr wouldnt have put me on a high strength if he didnt think i needed them, also tried to stop my HRT ,at that i said i would prefer to see my own Dr when he returned
Who do these locums think they are,i didnt ask for the Vit D.i agree that meds like paracetamol shouldnt be given on prescription ,but i do object to a Dr who doesnt know me taking any of my meds away

Grannyknot Wed 10-Apr-19 22:25:28

Hi blondenana I think it's not unreasonable to say that the Vit D can't be on the script, I buy my own (as advised by the GP) for about 68p for 100 tabs from my local pharmacy.

The HRT of course is another story. Perhaps that's what is the real reason you are so irritated.

FlexibleFriend Wed 10-Apr-19 22:38:18

I've always bought my own vitamins many of which are needed for my auto immune condition. The nhs is under enough strain without adding to it.

Anja Wed 10-Apr-19 22:45:49

I agree with replies.

rosecarmel Wed 10-Apr-19 23:04:11

Don't know where where the OP lives but here there is a distinct difference between prescription Vitamin D and the types anyone can get on their own off the shelves - Having tried both know from personal experience that the prescription Vitamin D was considerably more effective and I only needed to take it twice a week -

Insurance is strained here too - Can't say it's not my problem, because as a citizen it is to some degree, but you can better believe that if I pay into it I'm going to use it - The hospitals here look like fancy hotels, filled with live plants, some like jungles, and waterfalls and expensive art work - And I'm supposed to feel guilty for using prescription Vitamin D? Nope smile

GabriellaG54 Wed 10-Apr-19 23:59:35

See today's news re vitamin D. Not good. Just get out in the fresh air.

BlueBelle Thu 11-Apr-19 06:35:32

Totally agree Gabriella you don’t even need strong sunlight just bright days get out more

I agree with the locum Doctors shouldn’t be giving away vitamins, paracetamols, and items we can buy over the counter

No idea where you live Rose but obviously not U.K. if your hospitals look like fancy hotels so you are seemingly talking about a different subject altogether

Urmstongran Thu 11-Apr-19 06:44:54

I just read that too GG54

Anja Thu 11-Apr-19 07:37:22

Prescription Vit D is different? Really?

Jane10 Thu 11-Apr-19 07:37:41

Gosh yes! Nobody could think our hospitals were like hotels.
Sometimes it's good to see a different doctor. S/he'll have your medical notes so can see the usual doctor's notes. Perhaps a changed perspective is useful? Maybe s/he's right!

Anja Thu 11-Apr-19 07:42:22

Drisdol is vitamin D2 in a form that doctors write prescriptions for. Sun exposure does not produce vitamin D2 in the body, the vitamin is produced by plant matter and irradiating fungus. When consumed, numerous metabolic forms of D2 can be traced in the body. According to some studies, vitamin D3, which is produced by the skin, is more powerful, hence more effective at raising blood levels compared with vitamin D2, however, most studies say they are equal.

Source Medical News

Urmstongran Thu 11-Apr-19 07:47:34

GP guidance on vitamin D available on prescription (higher dose 800IU) is that it should be used for the prevention and treatment of vitamin D deficiency and as an adjunct to specific therapy for osteoporosis in patients with vitamin D deficiency or at risk of vitamin D insufficiency. It does state that this is too high a dose for general use (the only licensed preparations are at this dose), and that it requires monitoring as a prescription-only drug to prevent hypercalcaemia, especially with renal impairment.

Therefore it follows that if a GP decides to prescribe vitamin D on the NHS to a patient, the only available dose is higher than recommended and requires some form of monitoring, increasing workload to the practice.

Marydoll Thu 11-Apr-19 08:09:08

Last year my vitamin D levels were not registering at all, (despite taking ADCal), when they were checked.
I needed to get the levels up before my osteoporosis infusion, so was precribed 2,400IU for six weeks. Over the counter Vitamin D supplements cannot provide that dose. It also has to be monitored to prevent renal problems.

As Jane has said, sometimes it is good to have a fresh take on things.
Perhaps you could ask your doctor to check your levels to see if you need precription strength.

Contrary to popular belief, being in the sunshine does not give some of us the level of vitamin D we need.
My consultant told me I could lie naked all year (not a pretty sight) in Dubai and it would make absolutely no difference for me. grin

Grannyknot Thu 11-Apr-19 08:18:25

Re prescription vs over-the-counter Vit D, all I know is that I took advice from the pharmacist, having been recommended to take over-the-counter by my GP, and I trust both professionals know what they're doing.

Unrelated to the OP, but as an aside - I was on the "Patient Participation Group" (not for very long, it was dead boring and I discovered a tick-box exercise) at my local GP practice, and I was amazed to learn of people who turn up at the GPs with a "shopping list" of requirements.

Grannyknot Thu 11-Apr-19 08:19:26

That should read "I discovered it was a tick-box exercise"...

Grannyknot Thu 11-Apr-19 08:23:13

And re the fancy hospitals grin one of the best hospitals in my area in London is - as described by the consultant I saw there recently - "a shabby little hospital in a run-down area" - the service is fantastic, rumour has it that it is due to the staff vs. patient ratio. I even get a phone call from a real person to remind me of my appointments. grin

Jane10 Thu 11-Apr-19 10:02:26

Yes grannyknot it truly is the staff that make a hospital good!

123coco Thu 11-Apr-19 10:23:08

It is all very well saying just go out in the sunshine but I really don’t think people appreciate the level of skin cancer in this country. Dermatologists constantly tell us we should be using protection against UVA and UVB every day of the year Who wants to be weathered t leather anyway . Like everything else you just need to do your homework and get the right sort of vitamin d . Cod-liver oil contains it and you can’t overdose on it in cod-liver oil

Jane43 Thu 11-Apr-19 10:24:50

I think it depends how long you have been on HRT and what type it is. I believe current thinking is that if you are on oestrogen only HRT for more than 10 years there is an increased risk of breast cancer and other cancers so even if the risk is small there is a risk and GPS do have to consider this when prescribing.

There was an article in the news last week that supplements offer no benefit at all because you need to get the vitamins and minerals through food. Who know? There will be a contradictory article soon I’m sure.

Juliet27 Thu 11-Apr-19 10:31:15

I’m another who buys her own vitamins.

Anja Thu 11-Apr-19 10:32:41

Anyone can write an ‘article’ and get it published. Lots of pseudoscience out there. Best to look at a broad range of scientific test results and even then be careful of those. Sometimes you get a very poorly conducted test on too small a sample.

In general the evidence seems to indicate we, in the UK, might benefit from a Vit D supplement during the winter months. We ought to get sufficient during warmer weather by sensible sun exposure.

Pity they don’t issue a Common Sense supplement on the NHS or even OTC ??

Maz53 Thu 11-Apr-19 10:32:52

Why shouldn’t we buy our own vitamins. Wrong of you to think you can get them on script.

Kerenhappuch Thu 11-Apr-19 10:33:15

I have to say, if I'm having a drugs review or anything else that relates to my long-term health, I'd rather see one of my regular GPs, not a locum, so I understand your discomfort with someone you didn't know changing around your meds. I do wonder, though, if this had been put on your notes by your regular GP?

FlexibleFriend Thu 11-Apr-19 10:33:41

Well some of us have to take vitamin D3, I do amongst many other vitamins which I pay for. I take 5000iu per day not the 800 someone claimed they needed to be prescribed by their GP. You can buy a variety of strengths once you know which one you should be taking. I've been taking it for years and will need to continue for life but still see no reason to expect it on prescription when I can get it from Amazon. Clearly some of you are unaware of exactly what's available to buy without prescription.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 11-Apr-19 10:36:30

I could have written your post Marydoll.
I too have osteoporosis and in spite of taking Adcal my levels were still too low for my infusion. Like you I had to take a high dose for six weeks then a maintenance dose of 800-1000 IU.
Any other supplements I buy myself.
Also had skin cancer so have to cover up and wear sunblock when outside. I spend the whole summer out in my garden and also have to protect my eyes as have AMD.
So, before you grans lecture about having prescription vit D, just research the differences.