Gransnet forums

Health

The Dementia Choir

(33 Posts)
Anja Thu 02-May-19 21:01:37

OMG just watched this. I’m in tears. Never expected to be so moved.

MawBroonsback Thu 02-May-19 21:04:41

Sorry * Anja* I didn’t spot you had started a thread too.
In bits- it was so moving

MawBroonsback Thu 02-May-19 21:05:54

www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-48124591

Gonegirl Thu 02-May-19 21:07:23

It was lovely wasn't it. But oh, that poor young dad. Having everything taken away from him at such a young age. So sad. Yes

Gonegirl Thu 02-May-19 21:08:47

that 'yes' at the end there was at the start of that post. confused

seacliff Thu 02-May-19 21:08:48

Me too, what a tear jerker. It's amazing to see the guy drumming. How very sad.

shysal Thu 02-May-19 21:25:25

I am still in tears but uplifted at the same time.

kittylester Thu 02-May-19 21:32:38

Wasn't it wonderful! And isn't Vicky McClure fabulous?

jura2 Thu 02-May-19 21:46:38

Very very moving indeed.

jura2 Thu 02-May-19 21:49:09

When my mil got to advanced dementia, she reverted back to Afrikaans and 'lost' her English- although she had lived in England and only used English since 1948, and used to teach it.

The only time she would 'come alive' is when we played a tape of children's songs from South AFrica, in Afrikaans - she could not remember all the words- but some would pop out and she could hum the tune, on and off. How powerful music is.

cornergran Thu 02-May-19 23:15:49

We were both in tears. Wonderful people.

Eloethan Fri 03-May-19 00:38:26

It was really sad but uplifting too. It seems that the members of the choir gained much enjoyment and sense of achievement from this venture. It was a lovely programme and I'm looking forward to the second part.

The plight of the 31 year old man and his partner was particularly distressing, especially as their twins have a 50/50 chance of having inherited the rogue gene. I hope that one day there will be more effective treatment, or even a cure, for some or all of these types of dementia.

NanKate Fri 03-May-19 06:40:23

Very moving. In tears throughout. What a lovely person VMc is.

ninathenana Fri 03-May-19 06:53:46

?? very moving. Vicky did a great job.

jogginggirl Fri 03-May-19 07:46:42

I loved this programme- Vicky McClure was fantastic! It was wonderful to see how those with dementia responded to the music, and the warmth and encouragement of all of those around them. My mum loved to sing, and - even when she struggled with her memory - she always remembered the words of her favourite songs smile
I am very much looking forward to the next programme.

Izabella Fri 03-May-19 10:08:14

This was good for many reasons including educating people what it is like to have Alzheimers/dementia, as some of us still have levels of autonomy and choice - although this will diminish over time I know. My current husband said it didnt give him any more clues how to cope with my foggy days and general problems, but it did increase his understanding of how it affects us all differently.

For my own part, I start a singing group for the brain in June and found the programme so reassuring as I have been worrying about my awful singing voice. I am now settled and secure in the knowledge it will help and stimulat my brain. I can no longer read music for some reason, but I get pleasure and joy from listening to music - preferably without words as I cannot remember them anyway.

My great sadness lay with the young family being robbed of years of family life. I was diagnosed this year, but was able to live a normal life until just before this. For that I am truly thankful.

I thank all those who are involved in research projects and those spearheading projects.

kittylester Fri 03-May-19 10:23:10

Izabella have you heard of Sally Magnusson's Playlist For Life charity. She founded it after the death of her mother because she recognised how much music (and other sounds) meant to her mother when she had dementia.

www.playlistforlife.org.uk/

kittylester Fri 03-May-19 10:26:40

I also meant to say that I have two friends who run Singing for the Brain groups and they have a couple of participants who are totally non verbal but join in singing with great gusto.

Isnt that fabulous?

dragonfly46 Fri 03-May-19 10:28:04

Yes Kitty Vicky McClure is wonderful, totally natural. The programme brought me to tears. My mum has dementia but she has never been one for music so it would not help her, she has also never been one for joining in with things which I find a pity and at 98 I don't think she will change.

kittylester Fri 03-May-19 10:44:24

It might be worth trying a CD dragonfly. They didn't go into it much last night but musical memories can engender feelings of contentment which last longer than just when the music is playing.

I think there are compilations on the Alzheimers website.

KatyK Fri 03-May-19 10:49:05

I have recorded this but saw the trailer with that poor young man. I also watched that Miriam Margolyes programme about death, which was also very good. There was a lovely young man in it, I think he was 18, battling liver and bowel cancer. Life can be so cruel.

dragonfly46 Fri 03-May-19 10:50:54

Kitty where my mum is they play the old tunes all the time - Vera Lynn, Jim Reeves etc and it does seem to make them all content. Not sure my mum hears much though as she is deaf but she is content.

Izabella Fri 03-May-19 11:44:15

kittylester thanks for the helpful post. I had not heard of the charity. For myself I use S*****fy and have made various playlists. This mornings choice, early on, was Gregorian chants, tonight it may be Trance Nation or Gary Numans Songs from a Broken World. Who knows? All have their place.

travelsafar Sat 04-May-19 08:37:45

Watched this on catch up yesterday and so touching, especially the poor young man whose partner has to deal with the fact she is going to loose him. sad

MawBroonsback Sat 04-May-19 09:23:43

A moving post Izabella thank you flowers
More power to your?elbow!