Gransnet forums

Health

Prolapse operation

(28 Posts)
Merelina Wed 08-May-19 08:34:13

Am about to have prolapse repair in July. I am somewhat nervous about the whole thing but am now so uncomfortable I have no alternative but to have the op. Just hope it works. I wondered how others got on with it. Would be glad of advice.

SisterAct Wed 08-May-19 08:38:23

Best thing ever. I was really nervous but done quickly. From my experience do as your told for recovery and you won’t regret it.

Good luck ?

Merelina Wed 08-May-19 08:45:06

Thank you Sisteract. Most encouraging. The surgeon mentioned possible incontinence problems post op. Did you have any?

Marydoll Wed 08-May-19 09:18:14

Best thing I ever did too! I had a hysterectomy and bladder repair, gave me my life back!!!

SisterAct Wed 08-May-19 09:44:03

I was warned it could happen but fortunately had no issues.

GrandmaMoira Wed 08-May-19 09:48:10

I had a hysterectomy and bladder repair. I felt so much better afterwards. I do still have some incontinence but helped a lot by taking Oestriol for vaginal atrophy.
Do everything you are advised for recovery, especially no lifting.
The Hysterectomy Association has a good forum which may be worth joining.

Marydoll Wed 08-May-19 09:48:43

It was quite the opposite of incontinence! I was no longer running to the loo every half hour! ☺️

Merelina Wed 08-May-19 12:11:42

Thank you ladies. You have encouraged me lots. At the moment I am so uncomfortable I wonder if I can last till July. Doctor daughter says she has patients who take their prolapses to the grave! I had hysterectomy a long while back, this is a ‘hitch up’ so should be less of a party. I will certainly look at hysterectomy website. Thanks.

Alexa Wed 08-May-19 12:21:38

Merelina, I used to work in a gynaecology ward where many patients had these operations. They were very successful and the treatment was straightforward even in the 1950s You will do fine!

Lazigirl Wed 08-May-19 14:24:29

I had vaginal hysterectomy & repair under spinal block, and recovered very quickly with no pain and waterworks intact! It is so important not to lift or do anything strenuous afterwards, or become constipated, to give it all time to heal. A friend had op recently after having a severe prolapse and did have a post op problem of bladder emptying, but this improved after a few weeks and she's fine now and no incontinence.

Merelina Wed 08-May-19 18:50:26

You really are lovely ladies! Thank you for such encouragement. I am almost looking forward to the op. It will be bliss not to have s squidgy tennis ball on my knickers ?

Merelina Wed 08-May-19 18:58:11

I take note of your advice lazygirl, I will be very careful. I look after a frail husband so I plan to have live in help for a few days. For how long did you take care. Surgeon said I would be ok to put on H’s elastic stocking (he has had mega surgery). I wondered if she’d ever done it. It’s a wrestling match, even tho’ i’ve Now got the knack

crazyH Wed 08-May-19 19:02:23

All the best Merilina.
My friend is on the waiting list for a similar op.

Lazigirl Thu 09-May-19 10:29:37

Good that you have arranged some help Merelina. Recovery is ofcourse a very individual thing, depending on age and how fit you are before surgery. Light housework and walking is ok but lifting and strenuous stuff is best avoided for about 6 weeks. You do tend to feel quite tired.

Sussexborn Thu 09-May-19 10:39:58

I was told not to lift anything more than 3 pints. Got a friend to lift the kettle then picked up a 4 pint milk container! Remember not to lift the vacuum cleaner up as well.

It is important to follow the instructions so that you don’t undo all the good work. Can still remember getting off the bus in town and not having to find the nearest loo.

Sussexborn Thu 09-May-19 10:42:17

Forgot to say good luck with your surgery. July will be here soon. Stock up your freezer meanwhile with some home made ready meals.

GrannyIris5 Sun 19-May-19 10:25:51

I had ‘sling’ for bladder - no problems luckily - and rectal prolapse repair about 9 years ago.
You’ll be fine and no heavy lifting, clothes shopping not food x

Peony54 Tue 25-Jun-19 13:15:44

Hi has anyone had rectocele repair to improve bowel movement? I’m going down this route but have heard it might not help ....,

Merelina Sat 29-Jun-19 08:58:06

So July is almost here - and off I go to have my prolapse repair on Monday. ? Just has hoping I will be a New Woman when it is all over. I have been most encouraged by your positive posts. I will keep you informed

annsixty Sat 29-Jun-19 09:05:19

Best wishes for Monday, I am sure you will be very happy in a few weeks.
A new woman will emerge, flowers

glammanana Sat 29-Jun-19 09:31:44

Merelina Sending best wishes for Monday you will feel so much better,just make super sure you take things very easy for at least 6 weeks no lifting anything,take care flowers

GrandmaMoira Sat 29-Jun-19 11:07:08

Good luck for Monday. The first time you get out of bed and sit in a chair without feeling like a tennis ball's in the way is wonderful!

Merelina Sat 06-Jul-19 10:57:01

Dear Ladies - Thank you all for your good wishes. I had the op on Monday, I was very nervous and to the surprise of the surgeon mentioned a living will as the anaesthetic put me under! Any way all went well, I am home, fully functioning (which was my worry) and SO glad not to have the tennis ball in my knickers. I can't get used to it, and am still waddling like a duck. If all continues in this way I shall be delighted. I have chosen the right time to do this - I am just lolling about watching Wimbledon. Any way thank you, and if you have any questions I will do my best.

Jane43 Sat 06-Jul-19 13:05:44

Merelina, I hope you have a speedy recovery. I have had a prolapse for about seven years now. I do have a ring pessary which is changed every six months but recently it has slipped out of position twiceL. I have lost a lot of weight and although the GP has changed the size I think this might have affected things. I also sometimes have to leave it out for a few weeks because of infection, twice I have had to have antibiotics. I think I am going to ask the GP for a referral with a view to having surgery so those of you who have had it have given me the impetus to ask my GP for a referral.

GrandmaMoira Sat 06-Jul-19 16:47:37

I'm glad it all went well.