Gransnet forums

Health

Recurring dreams

(59 Posts)
Jomarie Fri 14-Jun-19 21:40:32

"out of the mouths of babes etc." midgey brilliant!!

midgey Fri 14-Jun-19 21:26:31

Fennel that reminds me of a college lecture about young children’s paintings.- A small boy painted a bright yellow ‘blob’ then painted it black....long lecture about the meaning of such significant colouring etc etc. The cynic at the back of the group asked the child what he had painted, a haystack in the day and now you can’t see it it’s nighttime came the reply! grin

Fennel Fri 14-Jun-19 18:34:55

Notentirely - your post reminded me of a projective test which was popular during my working days as a psychologist. Which was to draw a picture of a house, a tree and a person. Then interpret using very wide rules.
I think the house represented family life.
brightside.me/wonder-quizzes/this-house-tree-person-test-will-determine-your-personality-267460/

BlueSky Fri 14-Jun-19 14:44:44

Thank you Notenterely very interesting post.

notentirelyallhere Fri 14-Jun-19 13:40:22

I used to have recurring dreams in my 20s of being chased and unable to get away or of being in the house alone and someone breaking in. Dreams are generally understood as your brain attempting to resolve an emotional situation which your conscious mind cannot deal with.
Sometimes aspects in dreams are said to represent parts of your life as a metaphor. For example, a house might be a way of representing the self so those dreams of mine were, I now think, anxiety dreams about safety and security.
One of the best explanations I've read about dreams was in a book called Human Givens by Ivan Tyrrell and Joe Griffin. Its easy to find in libraries and on Amazon. In case you weren't aware, there are many theories on the meaning of dreams from the simplistic to the academic.

If you're worried about your dream, no qualified counsellor would be surprised by someone wanting the opportunity to talk about it.

BlueSky Fri 14-Jun-19 12:28:50

Let's just say that it was something that frightened me as a child, nothing sinister as most people would think nothing of it. Probably to do with my chronic anxiety...

EllanVannin Fri 14-Jun-19 11:54:52

Some dreams are foretelling, strangely enough. I hope this recurring dream of yours isn't as bad as expected and that you can eventually by-pass it should anything come of it.

Pollyanna2 Fri 14-Jun-19 10:27:14

Could you share your dream with us?

BlueSky Fri 14-Jun-19 09:26:53

I've had the same disturbing dream since I was a teenager! I find it so strange that this is still upsetting me after 50+ years and being completely removed from that time and place. I wake up with a feeling of dread even though I know it's only a dream. I've tried talking to my DH about it hoping that bringing it out in the open would help but no joy.