Gransnet forums

Health

Kneeling Chair Stool Thingy - any thoughts?

(10 Posts)
Bordersgirl57 Mon 22-Jul-19 19:38:02

I have sciatica off and on and it is worse when I sit at my computer desk or try to do any watercolours. I wondered whether one of these weird chair things might be ok. My knees are fine which seems to be the published down side of them. Appreciate any advice. Thank you.

crazyH Mon 22-Jul-19 19:45:10

Weird is the right word - they look so uncomfortable but I'm sure they're not. Why else would people buy them?

Anniebach Mon 22-Jul-19 20:25:31

I use to use one, they do help shoulders and neck but don’t know about sciatica sorry

seeker4life Sun 04-Aug-19 01:23:34

I have used one for the last few years because hard chairs out pressure on my bottom and aggravates my sciatica. I find my 'kneeling stool' (as they are called) an absolute boon. It makes me sit with my back straight and I find the position with my legs tucked underneath eases the pain considerably, and takes the pressure off my spine and butt. When I am in particularly bad pain, I sit on it for a while and it really eases it. But then, I don't have knee trouble, and that helps, because you do have to sit with knees tucked under.

Bordersgirl57 Sun 04-Aug-19 07:07:04

Thank you for your responses. I'm still unsure though because I tripped over the "Alexander Technique" website who were completely against the weird seats as very bad for backs.

Oh dear..........

TwiceAsNice Sun 04-Aug-19 07:33:06

Could you find one in a shop and try it out?

bikergran Mon 12-Aug-19 20:48:32

bought mine in a charity shop £5 its quite comfy for a while.

LadyGracie Mon 12-Aug-19 20:55:25

I had one following 3 spinal surgeries for disc problems and sciatica, I could only use it for a limited time, I didn’t feel it encouraged or made me ‘sit’ in a natural position!

DazedAndConfusedByLife Mon 12-Aug-19 21:14:29

I use mine every day! It's really eased my lower back pain and makes me sit up straight.

wrf12345 Wed 14-Aug-19 11:45:38

As long as you raise the computer screen so that it is at eye level then I find mine (via amazon, quite elegant) is good for lower back but it does put a bit of pressure on your knees, just means getting up and having a walk around every hour, which is anyway good for you. They have limited height adjustment so if you are over six foot or have long legs then may not be too good.