Gransnet forums

Health

Anti reflux diet

(50 Posts)
ecci53 Fri 26-Jul-19 10:48:26

I've been on PPIs for about 3 years, following a diagnosis of hiatus hernia and reflux disease. My GP now wants me to stop the PPIs and follow an anti reflux diet, also using Gaviscon if necessary. Has anyone tried an anti reflux diet? Does it work? Any advice gratefully received. TiA

annodomini Fri 26-Jul-19 11:04:13

Nobody told me about an anti-reflux diet, though I was issued with instructions about what NOT to eat. I tried doing without PPIs and it wasn't a success. I also use Gaviscon Advance and Ranitidine - all prescribed by ENT consultant whom I had to see because I had laryngo-pharyngeal reflux which damaged my vocal chords.

Gonegirl Fri 26-Jul-19 11:07:37

I think you learn which foods to avoid, without following any particular diet. For me strawberries and tomatos sad are big no-no's. You can buy reflux diet online (Amazon) but I never have. Mainly because I'm not overly keen on cooking.

I think smallish, low fat, low sugar, meals are the best. But I do still allow myself the odd dessert when we eat out.

Like any other condition, I think it's a matter of commonsense.

Btw reflux is not a disease. It's a condition.

Very surprised you doctor has advised stopping the PPIs. Can't imagine why. I won't be stopping soon. (Find another doctor?)

Gonegirl Fri 26-Jul-19 11:10:56

Jamie Koufman is probably the leading expert on this one of her books here

ecci53 Fri 26-Jul-19 11:15:21

Gone girl, the full name of the 'condtion' is gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, commonly referred to as GORD by medical professionals.

jaylucy Fri 26-Jul-19 11:18:28

It's trial and error - nothing too fatty or too sugary, or acidic , smaller meals and not eating if possible after about 7pm
I have found by trial and error that it is better if I have a milky decaff coffee before bed (I used to have decaff tea but I still had reflux in bed)
Anything like cake or pastry or biscuits in the evening can affect me as well but ok earlier in the day. And strangely eating an apple or stoned fruits in the evening helps!
Gaviscon is apparently as good as if not better than PIPs and I always have a packet of Ranitidine handy. Have to wonder if the advice is cost cutting so would suggest you ask him why he has decided to change your prescription next time you see him!

ecci53 Fri 26-Jul-19 11:18:52

I was told that PPIs significantly reduce the amount of calcium and magnesium absorbed. Long term use of PPIs is likely to result in osteoporosis developing. Or it could be the NHS trying to save money.

GrandmaMoira Fri 26-Jul-19 11:25:15

Mine is not bad enough for PPIs but have to avoid fizzy drinks, including sparkling water and Prosecco as the pain keeps me awake all night if I drink them.

Gonegirl Fri 26-Jul-19 11:26:05

I know that's the popular (lazy?) 'name' for it, but it's not a disease. It's a condition. Caused by your hernia (which is structural).

It can. however, cause disease. (Keep taking the PPIs!)

A low dose (20) will not effect your magnesium levels.

Gonegirl Fri 26-Jul-19 11:27:53

I don't think his/her reason would be money-saving. The tablets are very cheap now for the NHS. Far cheaper than treating any disease that might ensue without the PPIs.

ecci53 Fri 26-Jul-19 11:34:00

Gone girl, what evidence do you have for that assertion in your last post. Are you a medical professional?

Mossfarr Fri 26-Jul-19 11:39:55

Bread and pastry are the worst culprits for me, so is alcohol - but white wine is by far the worst.
I have cut all of the above from my diet and rarely suffer now. I always have ranitidine handy but hardly ever use it any more.

Gonegirl Fri 26-Jul-19 11:41:08

Oh, I'm sorry. No I'm not a medical professional. Just a fellow sufferer who has done the usual online research when first diagnosed.

midgey Fri 26-Jul-19 11:53:49

I think small meals more often is also advised. So probably the same amount of food but divided up into six meals not three.

stella1949 Fri 26-Jul-19 12:58:40

Get an anti-reflux wedge pillow to sleep on. These pillows give a gentle slope from waist level upwards, and your head is raised by about 10 inches above your body. These pillows really help to prevent reflux at night . putnams.co.uk/products/bed-wedge

MiniMoon Fri 26-Jul-19 13:07:36

I kept a good diary, and learned what triggered my reflux. I have big trigger foods, tomatoes and onions, garlic and leeks. I can manage a little chocolate, but I'll never, ever have fish and chips from the chip shop again.
As has been said it's trial and error. There are lots of sites online that have gerd friendly recipes.
I use a pinch of asafoetida in stews and curries to give a savoury flavour, and miss out tomatoes. It takes a while, but you get used to it.

fizzers Fri 26-Jul-19 13:07:40

pastries, spicy food, fried food, tomatoes, strawberries, cucumber, onions, fruit juice , processed foods all make my condition worse, I find it better to have small frequent meals and nothing late at night

MiniMoon Fri 26-Jul-19 13:11:04

By th e way, PPI's are usually prescribed as a short term measure. You'd do better without them, and control your symptoms by adjusting your diet.

MiniMoon Fri 26-Jul-19 14:25:32

I read that eating yogurt with your last meal is beneficial. I haven't tried it myself though.

Gonegirl Fri 26-Jul-19 16:13:21

I have an anti-reflux wedge pillow. Doesn't work. And it's really uncomfortable.

If you have true reflux, nothing works but the PPIs.

starbird Fri 26-Jul-19 16:37:42

I also have laryngo pharangeal reflux and find that Rennies Extra help a lot - only available in Boots, not at local pharmacies. The situation is not helped by chronic sinusitis aggravated by hay fever.

I am on Omneprazole at the moment but have been given several different tablets over the years because nothing seems to suit me. Coffee (which I prefer black) and dairy make it worse - funnily enough I can eat Pizza and cheese. . Anything sweet and sugar/sweets make it worse immediately but a small amount of chocolate is ok. Sometimes when my throat and chest feel sore I take slippery elm before food - it is very soothing. There is a modern equivalent called Silicogel.
But at the end of the day if I am going out I don’t eat beforehand,I sip water a lot and if a meal is involved I stick to something bland, but if I have been coughing a lot that day I don’t go. I have given up a lot of things because sometimes out of the blue I start to choke and retch, as though something has gone down the wrong way when I wasn’t even eating - sometimes actually being sick and often wetting my pants! Hence I am reluctant to go to the Theatre or cinema, or out for a meal. Exercise and talking (not at the same time) can also bring on the cough. Thank heavens for tv and a good book!
The Consultant told me that at 72 I must expect some health problems and I am lucky not to be worse off.

Septimia Fri 26-Jul-19 16:43:58

Like so many others, I'd say avoid tomatoes. I also gave up citrus fruit. Cheese, chocolate and alcohol are best in very moderate amounts for me sad and I'm careful about spicy food - small amounts are usually OK. After a good rest from them, I've found that I can manage a small glass of orange juice or a small amount of tomato without too much discomfort.

starbird Fri 26-Jul-19 16:48:20

Funnily enough I can eat grapefruit. Just as well as I eat it (and oat bran) to keep my cholesterol in check and avoid being pestered to have Statins.

Gonegirl Fri 26-Jul-19 17:03:32

I bought some Slippery Elm food. Had to get it from America as the Holland and Barrett one has sugar added. I mixed it up as per instructions but couldn't bring myself o swallow it. It looked so awful.

I tried Silicogel too. Didn't do anything, and it was like swallowing saliva.

starbird Fri 26-Jul-19 17:46:17

They are both designed to line the digestive system so that it does not get irritated by food. The Silicogel is like drinking wallpaper paste with grains of sand in and the Slippery Elm looks revolting, but it is an old and tried drug free remedy that still works ...... ( for me anyway).