Gransnet forums

Health

Flu jabs

(176 Posts)
Teetime Thu 12-Sep-19 16:26:01

All done today at Lloyds Pharmacy - no queue, no appointment necessary and no waiting - excellent service- used to wait forever at the surgery.

TerriBull Thu 12-Sep-19 16:31:46

I've mine booked for next week. I've been having them for quite a few years now, but this will be the first time I will qualify for one free, having reached the requisite age, don't know whether to feel pleased or not about that hmm

kittylester Thu 12-Sep-19 16:37:07

Dont your surgery miss out financually if you have it done elsewhere?

Gonegirl Thu 12-Sep-19 16:42:17

I rang lLoyds Pharmacy to book flu jabs this morning. Our local one is a complete shambles! They said they would take my name and phone number and ring me back next week or sometime.

Exactly what happened last year. They never rang back and when I eventually rang them again they said they were all booked up and had no spaces left.

tanith Thu 12-Sep-19 16:47:39

I’m having mine on Saturday booked at my GP last week.

MiniMoon Thu 12-Sep-19 17:03:54

I've never had one before. Last week our health centre rang to ask if I would like one, so I said yes this year.
I've made an appointment for the first week in October for both DH and I.

NotAGran55 Thu 12-Sep-19 19:22:43

I booked mine on-line at Boots . I’ve had it there for the last 4 years . I got an early bird 10% discount this time smile

agnurse Thu 12-Sep-19 19:26:34

Do they not have flu clinics in your area?

From the sounds of it you need to pay for your flu shot, but in my area, even back when most people had to pay for it, there were still flu clinics. The public health agency would rent space from a mall, or rent a community hall, or something similar. They'd post ads about the flu shot clinic being at a particular place on a particular date, and then the hours that the shots were available. Then it was first-come, first-served. We still have that now. You can get your flu shot from your provider or from a pharmacy, but the flu clinics are very popular. That's often where I get mine.

Nannyxthree Thu 12-Sep-19 19:30:30

Our local surgery last year could only offer appointments at times which conflicted with the school run or else wait till late November. I thought that by that time I could have caught the 'flu so booked on line with Boots. No queue and done in a private room so have booked again for this year.

Coolgran65 Thu 12-Sep-19 19:48:57

Our surgery runs two glue clinics reckon a Saturday morning. First come first served. Quite a queue but it moves like lightening. All doctors and practice nurses working, you're in and out, job done in about 15 minutes, including queuing time.

Jane10 Thu 12-Sep-19 19:52:46

Drat. Forgot to book mine at Boots in the required time for a discount! 💉

Fiachna50 Thu 12-Sep-19 20:21:13

I wont be having mine, last time I was ill for 3 weeks and no one can seem to explain why. I was in absolute agony with my head and no amount of painkillers would get rid of the pain. Never again, I got a real fright. Had flu about 2 years ago, although debilitating I did recover about a month but never had the headache that jab gave me. I did have headache but it did go, even with the flu.

Maggiemaybe Thu 12-Sep-19 20:39:03

DH booked us both in for our jabs at the GP surgery. My appointment is at 0740h and his is at 1600h (much more civilised!). Apparently we under-65s get ours in the morning, 65s and over in the afternoon, as we get different vaccines.

I was surprised to get a free one this year, as I'm only 64. You qualify if you're 65 before the end of March. Bonus!

blondenana Thu 12-Sep-19 20:51:58

I noticed at my surgery on monday that flu jabs were being offered,isn't it early for flu jabs?

dogsdinner Thu 12-Sep-19 21:12:43

Is this year’s another triple jab?

Fiachna50 Thu 12-Sep-19 22:42:20

Dogsdinner , can I ask what do you mean triple jabs? Are they putting 3 vaccines in one? No wonder I was so ill if that is the case, is it even safe to do that?

Maggiemaybe Thu 12-Sep-19 23:50:34

This is the explanation from the NHS website, dogsdinner. I freely admit that I haven't a clue what it means, but you and others might.

adults aged 18 to 64 who are either pregnant, or at increased risk from flu because of a long-term health condition, are offered a quadrivalent injected vaccine – the vaccine offered will have been grown either in eggs or cells (QIVe or QIVc), which are considered to be equally suitable

adults aged 65 and over will be offered either an adjuvanted trivalent injected vaccine grown in eggs (aTIV) or a cell-grown quadrivalent injected vaccine (QIVc) – both vaccines are considered to be equally suitable.

BradfordLass72 Thu 12-Sep-19 23:53:27

I very rarely get any sort of cold or flu, in fact I used to be a medical guinea pig at the Common Cold Research Centre and they couldn't infect me either (although maybe they gave me the placebo, it's all secret).

The first year I was eligible for a free flu jab, I had it, reluctantly and 2 months later got the worst bout of anything I've ever had, I even had to spend a day in bed !!

New Zealand buys the left-over serum from the UK, so that's made up of stuff to protect against Northern Hemisphere bugs, so not entirely suitable for people living near Antarctica! We tend to get what's sweeping down from Asia.

All except me grin

Fiachna50 Fri 13-Sep-19 00:49:01

Quadrivalent seems to suggest 4 different strains in the one,which once injected stimulates an immune response. Think I will pass. How many more strains are they going to put into this. What happens to people who already have an autoimmune condition, then this stimulates a reaction?

agnurse Fri 13-Sep-19 01:42:52

Vaccinating for many strains at once isn't harmful. You actually take in more pathogens through breathing and eating than you would ever be exposed to in a vaccine.

Usually, for developing flu vaccines, each hemisphere will keep stats on the strains that have been an issue for them during that season. They will then use that knowledge to develop vaccines for the other hemisphere's next flu season. (This can be done because each hemisphere has opposite seasons. Right now our southern friends are just coming into spring.) Unfortunately it can be a bit hit and miss, as they are relying on historical data.

Fiachna50 Fri 13-Sep-19 09:03:35

So Agnurse, what is the point in having it then?I dont mean that sound cheeky. If you already have an autoimmune condition, will this not stimulate it well into overdrive? I wont be having it anyway, I was so ill with it the last time.

harrigran Fri 13-Sep-19 09:26:42

I had an appointment with GP on Monday, while I was there the nurse came and asked me if I would like my flu vaccine while I waited. I was happy to get it over with so early in the autumn. Shoulder was quite sore this time but otherwise fine.

agnurse Fri 13-Sep-19 10:36:13

While it can be a bit hit or miss, overall it still lowers the risk.

I get mine every year because I'm a nurse. When I was in clinical practice, we had to have it, otherwise we would be off work without pay during an outbreak. Now that I teach nursing I still get it because I may be asked to teach a clinical course during flu season.

Cabbie21 Fri 13-Sep-19 13:22:51

I am one of those who has never had the flu jab. I used to be a teacher and the only time I ever got flu was when pupils came back from abroad bringing a new strain with them. I think I must have developed a strong immunity. If new strains come in, my thinking is that the current vaccines won’t protect me.

jura2 Fri 13-Sep-19 13:26:24

far too early surely? Or are people having it done so early as tgey fear it won't be available later?

Maggiemaybe Fri 13-Sep-19 22:57:11

Why is it too early? I had a text from my GP surgery a fortnight ago saying it was available and asking me to make an appointment. That's the usual procedure as far as I'm aware.

MotherHubbard Fri 13-Sep-19 23:38:48

According to NHS website best time to get flu jab is from around the beginning of October and as vaccine takes up to two weeks to become effective now isn’t too early. All our local pharmacies have been giving flu jabs for last two weeks. Last year there was a shortage of vaccine due to increased demand so my pharmacist said this year he had ordered enough to avoid running out. He was certainly being kept very busy ‘jabbing away’ whilst I was there.

polyester57 Sat 14-Sep-19 09:03:21

I, too, have never had one. My husband, a wimp, has one every year, requiring TLC when he has the jab and several times throughout the year when he feels a flu just but not quite coming on. In my opinion the pharmaceutical companies are laughing all the way to the bank. I don´t see anything wrong with a flu, that a couple of days in bed and a few lemons can´t cure. Gives you immunity for the rest of the year.

Notsooldat75 Sat 14-Sep-19 09:43:55

My beloved daughter died earlier this year, she had flu, which then became pneumonia, and then every conceivable complication piled in, two weeks later she was dead.
Ironically, the last conversation I had with her was when she cancelled a visit saying she thought she had flu, I asked her if she’d had a flu jab and she told me she hadn’t and she ‘didn’t like needles’, (despite several tattoos).
The following day she was in Intensive Care.

RosesAreRed21 Sat 14-Sep-19 09:47:03

I go to my chemist every year, in and out within 5 mins and no appt needed! Brilliant

Hetty58 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:14:45

I've only had flu twice in my life so never bother with the jab.

Purplepoppies Sat 14-Sep-19 10:16:49

Following a frozen shoulder after my flu jab two years ago I insisted I had it in my leg last year. The nurse didn't want to do it 🤷🏻‍♀️ so I had to speak to the Dr!! I will be having mine in my leg every time from now on. My gp surgery don't seem to have their appointments up yet, which is fine, I don't want it before my holiday and then a funeral on my return

arosebyanyothername Sat 14-Sep-19 10:19:47

Our surgery actually phoned us last week to make an appointment.

Greciangirl Sat 14-Sep-19 10:20:56

Mine is next week too at gp surgery.

Thought it a bit early as well. But best get it done while they still have supplies.

rizlett Sat 14-Sep-19 10:22:14

It's all a bit of a big pharma con & not really necessary for most people.

Only in my opinion of course - so continue to have drugs injected into your body if it's the right choice for you.

eilys Sat 14-Sep-19 10:25:35

Mine next Saturday 8am, I will be in and out in about 3/4 minutes, always have the same time, no problem

boho43 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:30:09

Had our done at the surgery this week . No after effects whatsoever.

Annaram1 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:46:24

Notsoold, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. What a sad story.

I think it might just persuade a few doubters to have a flu jab.

Davida1968 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:49:38

Mine is a week today at the GP's surgery. Last year it ran like a military operation - extremely well organised and very quick. No waiting about to speak of - we were in and out of the waiting room like yo-yos. Brilliant!

Farawaynanny Sat 14-Sep-19 10:57:22

So sorry to hear about your daughter Notsoold.
It worries me that so many people believe all the anti vaxers rubbish or believe that the flu jab can make you ill, it can’t!! The flu vaccine is not a live vaccine, the most it will give you is a sore arm but if you want to risk it, it’s your choice. If you develop symptoms after the vaccine it’s because you have already been developing something!
Flu can be a serious illness, can leave you with lifelong problems and can be fatal. If you’ve ever had flu (not just some viral infection) you will know that “a couple of days in bed”will not be enough to recover.

GabriellaG54 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:57:43

I don't bother with flu jabs or any jabs come to that.
None of them stop you getting flu or whatever they are meant to protect against.
If anyone wants mine just mention my name at Lloyds and say you're having my vaccine. 😁😂💉💉💉

Oldbat1 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:02:34

Just had mine this morning. All 65s and over are invited on Saturday mornings for the next few weeks to just go along to local surgery and queue. 4 nurses on duty and I waited just 5mins. Those who were able stood and those who needed chairs were seated. In main door, in to nurses corridor, into consult room had injection then out side door. Smooth as anything.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:14:34

I’m like you cabbie 21 I’ve never had the flu jab

tanith Sat 14-Sep-19 11:14:35

Just had mine, in and out in 5 minutes it was very busy too.

Daisymae Sat 14-Sep-19 11:21:43

Anyone who thinks that flu is just a bad cold is much mistaken. I had it in my 30s and could barely walk. I will be having mine in the next couple of weeks.

Tigertooth Sat 14-Sep-19 11:50:24

My gpnis walk- in and wait. Not bad for London though - about 40 mins

DaisyL Sat 14-Sep-19 11:59:30

I only had the flu jab once and felt ghastly for about a week - not saying it was flu but it wasn't nice. The lst time I had flu was when I was at school - I'm 75 now - so a long time ago. I'm not anti-vaccine at all - all my family have been vaccinated against the usual things. I may be proved wrong if I get mega flu this winter but at the moment I'm working on the 'if it ain't broke why try and fix it' theory!

Ashcombe Sat 14-Sep-19 12:06:37

How very sad to read about your daughter, Notsoold! So sorry. And how saddened you must feel by the insensitive comments posted by some on this thread.
I had the flu three years ago and was very unwell for 10 days. My GP considered admitting me to hospital at one point.
Overall, it benefits the whole community if we are vaccinated and prevents epidemics that result in hospitals being swamped with patients.
My surgery ran a walk in clinic this morning where the whole procedure was over in a few minutes. Staff were happy to give up their Saturday morning to ensure this could happen. Over 65s are being given a different vaccine this year.

flaxwoven Sat 14-Sep-19 12:43:30

Our surgery sent us a letter offering flu clinics on Saturdays during October. However you cannot get a GP appointment at all. All booked up for more than 2 months, not helped by dozens of new houses and flats built in the area.

SparklyGrandma Sat 14-Sep-19 12:48:31

I book mine at Boots and have done for 3 years, the surgery were last able to offer one in a January, so Boots was easier.

EthelJ Sat 14-Sep-19 13:26:13

, 20:21Fiachna50,*, are you sure it was the jab that made you ill and not another virus that you had.
I've never had the jab, I'm not yet eligible for the free one but I was thinking of getting one this year.

EllanVannin Sat 14-Sep-19 13:47:59

No doubt I'll be offered mine next month when I have my INR. What puts me off is that for the last two Christmas's I've been ill with ---" flu " for the first times in my life. I don't have so much as a cold throughout the year---only 2 months after the jab ? I'm in a quandary really.

Paperbackwriter Sat 14-Sep-19 16:11:10

Notsoold1t75 - That is so very sad about your daughter, completely awful for you all.

As for polyester57 - if all you needed for flu was a day of rest and some lemons, I'd guess it wasn't actually flu you had at all. Real flu is incredibly debilitating, clearly dangerous and no-one who has the shot should ever be derided as a 'wimp'.

Fiachna50 Sat 14-Sep-19 16:22:25

Hi Ethel, I was perfectly well that year till I had that damn flu jab. My family saw how ill I was so much so my husband says he hopes I never get the jab again. I really must apologise to the lady whose daughter passed away from flu, I dont mean to make it sound insensitive. I am purely saying about my own experience. I had nothing wrong with me till the day I got that jab. One theory my husband and I have is we think it perhaps set off a reaction as I have an autoimmune condition. The jab is meant to stimulate the immune system into a response. I think it certainly did mine with bells on. I keep getting told it is not a live virus , however, there is absolutely no research to explain what happens when you give the flu jab to people with autoimmune conditions. I found one piece of research (I think from USA) that a doctor there said that for my particular condition, it was not a good idea to have a flu jab as it could send my condition into overdrive and I kind of suspect thats what happened. I got such a fright and was so ill I never got it again. I did report it to the yellow card scheme and my GP. I think the GP thought I was havering.

MawB Sat 14-Sep-19 16:54:10

Oh dear Fiachna all I can add is that my DH had an auto immune condition (PSC - primary sclerosing cholangitis a complication of Ulcerative Colitis which destroyed his liver) but was also on immunosuppressants after the transplant..
He had a flu jab each year but not the same jab that the rest of us get had but catching flu could have proved fatal, given his inability to fight infection.
I think the jury will remain out , on GN at any rate, regarding flu jabs but I would counsel taking medical advice and for those who are afraid of the jab, believe me the real thing is much, much worse.

MawB Sat 14-Sep-19 16:58:37

I don't bother with flu jabs or any jabs come to that
None of them stop you getting flu or whatever they are meant to protect against
How arrogant and ill-informed.
It is this sort of anti-vax tosh which is undermining vital immunisation programmes such as that for measles and other potentially fatal childhood illnesses.

Esmerelda Sat 14-Sep-19 17:45:05

I had the flu jab for the first time last year and all I can say is "Never again". For the past 15-20 years or so I would get just one cold during the winter and it's donkeys years since I had a summer cold, however within days of having the jab I went down with a stinker, followed by another and then another and so on, and so on for at least five months. I was miserable ... and then I succumbed to three summer colds. I'm bracing myself and can only pray that the effects have worn off by now. I understand that this is something that often happens, but they never warn you about it. I'll take my chances, thank you!

MawB Sat 14-Sep-19 17:55:06

You may just have been unlucky Esmeralda but they are different viruses
Flu and the common cold are both respiratory illnesses but they are caused by different viruses. ... Colds are usually milder than flu. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose. Colds generally do not result in serious health problems, such as pneumonia, bacterial infections, or hospitalisations

clareken Sat 14-Sep-19 18:05:12

Went to a diabetic appointment on Wednesday. Nurse wants me to have a blood test, and booked me an appointment for that, and the flu jab at the same time. All done and dusted before work.

nanaK54 Sat 14-Sep-19 18:59:57

Notsoold flowers
I will turn 65 in October so 'looking forward' to my first free flu jab smile, it is, of course, personal choice but I have been paying for a jab for the past few years and wouldn't dream of not having one

Witchypoo Sat 14-Sep-19 19:14:35

Doc surgery sends out letters and on three saturdays you can go be jabbed. My date is next saturday. I get mine free as have breathing problems. Have had them for about 25 years

puppytoe Sat 14-Sep-19 19:58:21

My surgery sent me a text that they are having a walk-in clinic next Saturday morning where I can have my "pre-ordered" flu vaccination. They also ask those who don't want it to text NO back to them!

Phoebes Sat 14-Sep-19 22:54:08

My husband and I got texts from the Heath Centre a few days ago, reminding us to book in for our flu jabs. I rang up and booked us in and a few days later we went and had them. We were in and out in a few minutes. We both felt slightly under the weather afterwards with slightly sore arms, but this soon passed. As I am asthmatic and have previously had pneumonia, which I wouldn’t want to repeat, I wouldn’t want to miss out on my flu jab!

Deedaa Sat 14-Sep-19 23:01:55

The surgery texted me this week to say they were having a walk in flu jab session this morning. Quite busy but I only waited about 10 minutes. Slightly stiff arm which has practically worn off now and I'm sorted for another year.

Deedaa Sat 14-Sep-19 23:04:16

polyester57 If you think flu can be cured by a couple of days in bed I can only think you have never had the real thing.

starlily106 Sat 14-Sep-19 23:09:03

The last time I had flu was in 1957,and I was ill for about 6 weeks, thought I was going to have to cancel my wedding. Lots of people died because they caught it. When I started having the flu jabs I was always ill after about 10 days, ( sore throat, bad cough and then a chest infection) so now I don't have it.

SueDoku Sun 15-Sep-19 11:15:41

The flu jab is always given at the beginning of October here (I get it as a birthday present..🙄)
Our surgery does drop in mornings (or you can book an appointment if you prefer) which are brilliantly run - I'm usually in and out within 15 minutes, even when the queue is out of the door..!
Everyone seems to treat it as a social occasion & there's a lot of 'After you' - 'I think you were before me' etc. All very cheerful smile

Esspee Sun 15-Sep-19 11:31:05

My grandmother died of flu and I have had it twice in my life. Flue is an extremely debilitating illness, very similar to Dengue Fever which I have also had the misfortune to experience.
I am so grateful that we have access to a vaccine to protect us from most current strains and I would urge all of you to make an appointment to get protected.

Nannan2 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:47:21

I asked at gp surgery other day,as last yr we had it too late i felt( my youngest son gets flu almost every yr as his immunity isnt very good,then it wipes him out,medically speaking, for awhile)He's just started college( age 16) so i wanted him to be immunised early. Our surgery said october at least and i cant just ask at chemist as he has a disability and a few other medical conditions as well! I thought its supposed to be to protect the vulnerable? I asked at chemist but she said 'they havent had their criteria through yet' for whose allowed it& who isnt.Its ridiculous.my elder son has flu jab every yr too as he has same disability.and hes starting university later in month,so again i thought it best he has it early.but apparently we cant get it yet in northwest! I have it too as their carer,so if i get flu whose going to help out? Not the chemist nor gp's receptionist ill bet!

Nannan2 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:49:20

Everywhere seems to be having them already except our area! Im going back monday armed with this info,and will stand my ground!

Nannan2 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:51:15

SueDoku must live near me...🤔

Nannan2 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:57:37

My sons both dislike jabs& blood tests,indeed youngest is extremely needle phobic,but he would not have nasal spray for flu as he cant stand anything up his nose( possibly as he was on oxygen nearly 2yrs after birth) but he braves it out every year for flu jab bless him,as he knows how debilitating it is when he gets flu! But every year theres a different strain& he catches it anyway!

harrigran Sun 15-Sep-19 12:02:24

Those that don't bother are actually putting the rest of the community at risk, the same kind of mentality with immunisation of children.
Stop burying your head, flu and pneumonia in later years can be deadly, the ageing body does not cope with illness the way it does in youth.

Fiachna50 Sun 15-Sep-19 13:42:04

Harrigran, its not that I dont bother, it is the jab that does not agree with me. I am not anti-vax in any way as myself and my family have all had the usual other vaccines. Thing is if the jab makes you really ill or you are allergic to the ingredients, there is not alot you can do. I just thought Id say this so that people understood i am not anti-vax.

GabriellaG54 Sun 15-Sep-19 14:08:21

harrigran
In a previous post, the poster mentions that her son, despite having a flu jab every year, catches flu every year as a new strain appears every year.
What, then, is the benefit of a flu jab?
If every single person on GN who says they and their families will or have had the flu jab, is it guaranteed that none of them will get flu?

Here's something else to think about.
I've noticed that 8/10 or fewer people don't use the hand sanitisers provided in doctors surgeries (usually right by the booking in screen) OR in hospitals where there are huge red signs everywhere and plenty of sanitisers.
Not using them puts others at risk.

GabriellaG54 Sun 15-Sep-19 14:09:39

*doctor's

Oldandverygrey Sun 15-Sep-19 14:10:49

Went to collect a prescription from the Pharmacist last week at Tesco and he asked me if I would like the flu jab whilst I was there, no need to book, so I did.

jocork Sun 15-Sep-19 22:03:24

I work in a school so get offered one there. I also get offered one at the GP as I'm diabetic. I'll be 65 in less than 2 weeks too so I could get it free at the chemist. So much choice I can't make up my mind! Last year I took the in school option and that was the most convenient - no special trip anywhere - but I think they happen later at school so may need to think again this year in case they run out. Damned Brexit!

Anja Sun 15-Sep-19 22:35:36

I’ll wait till after Christmas in case I have an adverse reaction.

SueDonim Mon 16-Sep-19 11:14:33

Notsoold what a terrible event for you all. I'm so sorry. flowers

I had flu over Christmas 2017. I just about managed to serve up the turkey then took to my bed for a week. I felt absolutely dreadful and it took three or four weeks to feel properly better. I last had flu in the 1968/9 outbreak. Last winter I had my first ever flu jab as I didn't want to risk a repeat of winter 2017.

I also have a younger friend who had flu two or three years ago. It caused cardiac complications which have resulted in them being put on the list for a heart transplant. sad

Fishpieplease Mon 16-Sep-19 11:39:39

I’ve had flu twice and so jumped at the chance of having the jab 2 years ago. Within a week I started to feel unwell. I can only explain that it felt just like 90% flu. I was so unwell,and it went on for at least 2 months. I dismissed it as a coincidence and bad luck to be so ill after the jab. HOWEVER,exactly the same thing happened last year. I’m fully aware how dangerous flu can be,but I’m reluctant to go through that yet again.

Anja Mon 16-Sep-19 14:29:46

Fishpie I had exactly the same experience one year. I had the jab in October and was ill until just before Christmas running a temperature, a rash, fatigue, really unwell etc. Other years I have been fine.

There are logical reasons behind why on rare occasions someone might react severely to flu or other vaccines. So I wait until after Christmas these days.

The vaccine is only about 50% effective anyway.

Fiachna50 Mon 16-Sep-19 16:48:27

Fishpie, what are the reasons someone may react to the vaccine? Its just noone at my clinic can tell me why I had such a bad reaction. If you know of any reasons Id be grateful if you could share them. I felt I was not believed, even though I had informed the Yellow Card Scheme.

Fiachna50 Mon 16-Sep-19 16:49:55

Sorry, post meant for Anja or Fishpie

Jane10 Mon 16-Sep-19 20:34:14

They ask if you're allergic to any of the components of the vaccine. May you were allergic to one of them?
I've just booked mine at Boots next week.

Fiachna50 Mon 16-Sep-19 20:53:03

Jane, I have never been asked anything like that.

Jane10 Mon 16-Sep-19 22:03:20

Boots always check that. It's in the form you have to fill in.

Anja Mon 16-Sep-19 22:24:42

Unless things have changed then most vaccines are prepared using fertilised eggs. As someone who has had chickens all her life I can attest that not all eggs are pure albumen and yolk. The odd one has specks of blood or something the odd little black spot.

My theory, and it is only that, is that the odd fertilised egg used to produce vaccines may not be as absolutely pure as it ought to be. Or of course you might be allergic to egg itself...but you would already know that.

Shropshirelass Tue 17-Sep-19 08:28:28

We always have ours. My OH had a terrible flu type virus a few years ago and was left with Chronic Fatigue. Very debilitating.

KnittyNannie Thu 19-Sep-19 19:48:51

I’m having mine done at Tesco next Tuesday.

Greyduster Thu 19-Sep-19 20:01:33

We have ours booked for first week in October. It is always September/October time. To date we have never had an adverse reaction.

annodomini Thu 19-Sep-19 20:45:12

Our medical centre has three Saturday dates for walk-in jab sessions, two in October and one in late November.

luluaugust Fri 20-Sep-19 19:39:59

All done last week.

Scentia Fri 20-Sep-19 20:58:37

Fiachna50. You don’t have the jab for yourself really, you have it to stop more vulnerable people catching the flu you will spread as you haven’t had the jab.

Fiachna50 Sat 21-Sep-19 00:15:20

Scentia, yes, I get that but surely it matters that some people have a terrible reaction to it? I wasnt just ill a couple of days, I was ill for 3 weeks. Im not deliberately putting other people in danger. No one can give me an answer as to why I reacted so badly, so Im not having it. Its not as if Im deliberately not having it for a trivial reason. You didnt see the state I was in. My husband and family did.

Anja Sat 21-Sep-19 07:58:57

Thought this from Public Health England was of interest

The new adjuvanted flu vaccine given to people aged over 65 years in England for the first time in winter 2018 had a success rate of more than 60% in protecting them against the virus, according to statistics from Public Health England (PHE).

The overall success rate of the vaccine programme against all flu strains for all age groups during the 2018–2019 flu season was 44.3%, according to the annual flu report, which was published on 30 May 2019. In the previous flu season, the overall figure was 15.0%.

The effect of the Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine given to children and young people aged 2–17 years was 48.6% in the 2018–2019 season.

In the 18–64 years age group, flu vaccination, for all vaccines, was effective in 44.2% of cases; the success rate, for all vaccines, in those aged over 65 years was 49.9%.

However, the success rate shot up to 62.0% in people aged over 65 years who were only given the new adjuvanted flu vaccine, which is designed to be effective against three flu strains.

moggie Sat 21-Sep-19 08:26:46

I work in a hospital & flu jab is offered to all staff from early October as agnurse says it lowers the risk. I have mine every year.

Newquay Sat 21-Sep-19 09:15:35

I had the flu a couple of years ago-knocked me off my feet, fainted twice, lost weight. Absolutely dreadful. I’m normally in good health so am having jab this morning at GPs. I have no doubt pharmas are doing well out of this and no one can be sure of exact flu strain but better safe than sorry IMHO

Newquay Tue 24-Sep-19 20:22:14

Arm been sore since jab on Saturday but today felt absolutely washed out!

BBbevan Wed 25-Sep-19 04:38:16

We have just had our letters from the surgery 're times for flu jabs. Only flu this year as we have had the shingles and pneumonia ones, and you only have them once again