Gransnet forums

Health

Well done N.H.S.

(29 Posts)
gallusquine Wed 09-Oct-19 14:36:01

19th Sept GP appointment, referral to Radiology Dept at my local NHS Hospital needed.
30th Sept letter arrives asking me to phone Radiology Dept to make appointment.
9th Oct. (today) Ultra Scan appointment this morning.
20 days from start to finish
I’m very happy with every aspect of the service I received and very grateful that I have the NHS to call on when needed.

NotSpaghetti Wed 09-Oct-19 14:49:53

I have today had an appointment by post (arranged Monday) for the wrong hospital and not even the right consultant.
In the same post I had a "notice of postponement" due to "unforeseen circumstances".
I spent 39 mins in the queue to my doctor's surgery to see what has gone on.
They say it was sent in error and should have been cancelled not postponed. They have told me they have sent off a referral to the correct hospital as well!

The last time I needed a referral the hospital cancelled it on their system due to a "suspected computer error"! If I hadn't phoned them after 12 weeks (the wait my doctor said to expect) to find out how much nearer I was to getting a date, they would never have known. I would be waiting still.

Sadly, the NHS is a mixed bag.

Liz46 Wed 09-Oct-19 15:04:38

I have had fantastic treatment from the NHS in the last few years and am very grateful. Just to be more specific it was the Respiratory and Physiotherapy departments of Wirral Teaching Hospitals.

Gaunt47 Wed 09-Oct-19 15:08:45

Crikey GQ, where do you live! Down here in the west country you'd still be waiting for a referral. And I hope the scan doesn't bring up anything nasty for you. Good luck.

gillybob Wed 09-Oct-19 15:17:44

I am happy for you gallusquine but my experiences have been more like Notspaghetti's .

My DH has been messed around referred, re-referred, changed consultants, changed hospitals, been listed and then unlisted for surgery. On more than one occasion he has had 2 letters in the same post, one with an appointment and the other one cancelling it. He has now been waiting a total of 14 months and ends up attending A&E in agony almost once every week. The right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing and don't get me started on some nurses who can be quite rude on the telephone.

Sussexborn Wed 09-Oct-19 15:18:13

At my last oncology dermatology appointment I was out in under an hour having seen a lovely Polish doctor and waiting with a pager for Aldara cream. This was in Coventry.

Chestnut Wed 09-Oct-19 15:22:34

Sadly, the NHS is a mixed bag.
Never a truer word said! When it's good it's very good. There are so many skilled and dedicated staff who are just wonderful, and some NHS systems seem to work brilliantly (as OP has shown). But there are just as many failures, wrong diagnosis or treatment, and long waits. Rarely the fault of the staff I imagine, more from too many people or system failures. It really saddens me how the staff are worked into the ground especially during the winter. Yes, a very mixed bag indeed.

Sussexborn Wed 09-Oct-19 15:22:52

As promised my next appointment arrived in the post a week later. Proves it can be done.

Shambolic management needs to be rooted out and incompetent staff sacked not moved sideways or even promoted.

janeainsworth Wed 09-Oct-19 15:26:44

I know quite a few people who have worked for the NHS and left disillusioned, or badly treated.
I think they are the country's, if not the world’s, largest employer.
They must also be one of the worst, and the most exploitative.

gillybob Wed 09-Oct-19 15:29:27

Based on just over 3 years experience .

My mum was a long term Renal patient in a large purpose built unit. On her day ward (dialysis) there were 3 dedicated nurses looking after about 12 very poorly patients . They were run ragged.

Fast forward to the unit my DH regularly attends where last week we counted 9 nurses doing absolutely sod all (for well over an hour) except talking in huddles about forthcoming weddings, parties and holidays. When the consultant opened the door (my DH was asked to give a sample) they all jumped up to see to it as though they were desperate for something to do.

I just can't understand it .

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 09-Oct-19 15:34:04

Gaunt47

I'm in West Country- Cornwall. Moved here 6 years ago. Had three occasions to use Royal Cornwall Hospital, Treliske.

Absolutely brilliant. Can't fault them + my doctor, who referred me on two of the occasions. Hip replacement (operation done 8 weeks after seeing consultant.

Referral - Concerns over gynaecological problem. Saw doctor - I had a scan within 48 hours. Week later biopsies - all clear.

A+E at local hospital and Treliske were outstanding when I was ambulanced in with bad saw injury.

I never moan about waiting to see the consultants when I go for check-ups. They are also surgeons. The day I was rushed into theatre (2.5 hours) , meant I took up her time that had been allocated to surgery/appointments she should have been doing.

Hope all goes well gallusquine.

Nonnie Wed 09-Oct-19 16:01:31

In my experience it is usually good when you finally get to see whomever but the admin is appalling, no coordination at all. I recently received an NHS letter telling me I had been referred and if I didn't get an appointment by 2 October I was to ring this number. On 3rd I rang and was on hold for ages, cut off once and then finally got through. Apparently the call handler spent most of her days explaining to people that the NHS and the local health authority didn't coordinate and such appointments took from 12 - 18 weeks to come through. What a waste of resources.

DH went for 5 sets of pre-op tests because they have to be done within a certain time before the op. He had to drive 60+ miles for an appointment for a blood test at 0830 and then again for the other test on a different day. Eventually he had the operation and his consultant was surprised that the first time he saw him was in the operating theatre.

I have written to my MP about the wasted resources.

Oldandverygrey Wed 09-Oct-19 16:22:35

Thanks to the NHS my husband is alive today and we are very thankful.

MacCavity2 Wed 09-Oct-19 16:24:57

Dreadful experience this year from Bournemouth Hospital still peeing battery acid from very large kidney stone. Tests show kidney not draining. GP worried it may cause sepsis, continually on antibiotics. Trying to be assertive with phone call and letters. It is an uphill battle.
Probably on the bottom of the heap due to my age 70.

Eglantine21 Wed 09-Oct-19 16:31:16

Heart murmur unexpectedly diagnosed during appointment for something else on a Wednesday, phoned as advised 24hrs later, appointment for ultrasound on the Saturday, results with GP on the Monday. Follow up appointment with GP on the Wednesday.

Absolutely no complaints from me.

Incidentally, cost of treatment (in the past) for husband’s leukaemia, probably in the region of half a million........

BlueSky Wed 09-Oct-19 16:35:50

To be fair I would say the description of mixed bag is a true representation of our NHS. When it's good is brilliant but when it's bad is really poor show! But still a lot better than many countries in Europe where if you want service you have to pay privately, not to mention the USA where if you are not insured they won't touch you with a barge pole!

tanith Wed 09-Oct-19 17:55:15

I saw a surgeon last Friday re my carpal tunnel. He agreed it would need surgery. Before I even got home from the appointment I was checking my email whilst waiting for a train and there was the appointment for my surgery in less than 3 weeks by e-mail.
I certainly have no complaints. Sometimes it works well.

NannyDee Wed 09-Oct-19 18:20:44

My husband, aged 76, has had fantastic treatment over the past 2 years following bowel cancer diagnosis. Appointment and treatments have been dealt with promptly, always kept informed about what is happening, cannot fault our local Royal Bournemouth Hospital.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 09-Oct-19 18:50:32

Oldandverygrey I was going to say just what you said! My DH is recovering from major surgery and his NHS treatment was wonderful. We are very thankful to everyone involved.

grannysyb Wed 09-Oct-19 19:11:54

Following a mega-prune of a rose in June I was in agony from right hip. Saw GP, cray a week later, " moderate damage in both hips", referral to local hospital, saw consultant mid August who said I needed new right hip. Was originally meant to have op on the 15th of October but was offered the 5th following a cancellation. Being discharged tomorrow from our local elective orthopedic centre, brilliant surgeon ,nursing staff and physios.

Elegran Wed 09-Oct-19 19:57:29

Gallus and quine are both Scottish words (together meaning "feisty wumman"), so I assume that gallusquine is in Scotland. Just saying.

gallusquine Wed 09-Oct-19 20:34:43

Elegran, yes I am indeed in Scotland and to those who asked I am well thanks.

EllanVannin Wed 09-Oct-19 20:39:13

Can't fault my local Wirral Teaching hospital at all. Treated as an individual and with care. On-going problem soon solved.
Resus. and Assessment dept.

I was actually admitted nearly 2 weeks ago at 5am and discharged at 09.00am after cardioversion.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 10-Oct-19 13:04:08

Gaunt47 not sure where you live in the west country but I live in North Somerset and have over the years had excellent service from the 2 hospitals I use, also the Eye Hospital.

I have just had a MRI scan, waited 4 weeks, its a routine one I need every 3 years. I can even get Dr's appointments if needed at fairly short notice, so no problems here.

vena11 Thu 10-Oct-19 13:23:29

My DH and I were both diagnosed 3 years ago with cancer within 6 months of each other, I with breast and DH with bladder we both received first class treatment through all our illness from Bristol Royal infirmary and still follow ups are also outstanding.