Gransnet forums

Health

New Year’s Eve what are you planning

(52 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 15-Dec-19 22:38:26

Love New Year’s Eve being at home seeing the new year in, much rather spend it at home

DoraMarr Mon 16-Dec-19 08:37:34

We used to spend the New Year in Scotland with my in-laws, and I always seemed to be the designated driver. envy This year I will be having two two year olds and a three year old for a sleepover, which should be fun.

Greyduster Mon 16-Dec-19 08:37:27

We don’t keep New Year. We always spent New Year’s Eve having dinner and seeing in the New Year with close friends, but when he died, she didn’t have the heart for it any longer, and really, neither did we. We are happy to be at home together and to ring the kids to wish them HNY.

Harris27 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:33:39

Nit so keen on ny. Will probably cook a meal some wine bit of telly then bed. All civil and nice.

Curlywhirly Mon 16-Dec-19 08:33:16

Usually try to abroad somewhere with a gang of friends. This year we are all off to Portugal. Can't wait!

Sparkling Mon 16-Dec-19 08:32:16

Cook myself a nicer meal than usual, then tv and bed at the usual time. I am not a fan of New Year. I sent texts to everyone I love and hope to get a few back.

Anniebach Mon 16-Dec-19 08:31:21

Avoid tv programmes. Switch on BBC. radio 4 to hear the
New Year greeting , it’s the same every year, short to the point then on with the news

aggie Mon 16-Dec-19 08:30:56

Since this is posted in "health" I will go to bed early , having put out my vitamins to be taken with my healthy breakfast ;) after my bracing , morning run .......

Esther1 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:27:34

I always found NYE parties a bit forced and I am not a night owl at the best of times. So I am very happy to have the excuse of grandchildren to babysit now and I can get to bed well before the chimes and just wish everyone Happy New Year in the morning.

ginny Mon 16-Dec-19 08:22:20

Like others we used to have some great parties. These days I’d rather stay at home. Might stay up , might not.

wildswan16 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:20:16

I am usually wrapped up in bed, but always set my alarm for 5 minutes after "the bells" and text my sons. (Apart from the one the other side of the world who I have to remember about eight hours or so before!).

I then have to get back to sleep while trying to drown out the fireworks and ships foghorns (which seem to go on longer each year).

Lins1066 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:16:28

I have always found NYE to be a sad time, all that reminiscing.
We went out a few times when we were younger to dinners but found the drag up to midnight very long. So we decided to stay home and have a nice meal, go to bed before midnight but are kept awake by all the fireworks, far more than on Bonfire Night.

BradfordLass72 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:09:56

I would love to say "sleep" but past experience has shown people set off those GIANT crackers which make it sound like a war zone.

Humbertbear Mon 16-Dec-19 08:02:35

We seek out a restaurant that doesn’t actually celebrate NYE and go out for a meal with close friends. It’s just like going out on any other night. Then we go back to their house and open a bottle of champagne at midnight. Even that is too much celebrating for DH who would rather stay at home.

tanith Mon 16-Dec-19 07:26:23

Same as most of you bed at normal time for me I’ve never been bothered about new year.

Sara65 Mon 16-Dec-19 07:23:42

I used to love new year, we always celebrated with friends, parties, new year dances, loved dressing up, dancing, loved the feeling of optimism.

Now I’m in bed by ten, the sense of optimism has gone, I just hope things stay much the same. My hopes now are for my grandchildren.

absent Mon 16-Dec-19 06:21:40

I shall, as always, go to bed long before midnight and forget about it until the morning.

kittylester Mon 16-Dec-19 06:18:09

I hate NYE parties!!

Now we are not ferrying our children to parties etc, we have a tradition of going to a show at the local theatre in the afternoon and then have a nice meal, a bottle of something and watch the tv.

Ginny42 Mon 16-Dec-19 00:48:16

We will have a nice meal and watch events in London and in cities worldwide. At a minute to midnight we will do the Spanish tradition of eating 12 grapes before the stroke of midnight. I never manage it and look like a hamster as I struggle to get them down. It adds to the fun.

Fiachna50 Mon 16-Dec-19 00:13:15

Hogmanay is my husband's birthday, so I usually cook him something nice. Then we stay up and have a drink at 'The Bells'. Sometimes we watch BBC Alba as the music is good on there. Though like other posters, sometimes watch Jools. I haven't been out at Hogmanay for a few years. Much prefer staying in. We have a nice dinner on New Year's Day when the family are our 'First Foots'. I hope everyone on here has a nice time, whatever your plans are.

Marydoll Sun 15-Dec-19 23:35:30

For the last twenty six years, since we all moved in, we have taken it in turns to have the cul de sac party. ( Most of us knew each other before we moved in). The teenagers and friends would be in one house and the adults in another.
There have been some great nights.
However, some of us have decided to call it a day, due to ill health and the fact we just can't be bothered!
I'm so looking forward to staying home.

M0nica Sun 15-Dec-19 23:30:38

Nothing.

Sussexborn Sun 15-Dec-19 22:54:04

We used to go to a party held every year by DS’s cub/scout pack. Mainly friends and neighbour so a happy atmosphere. Nowadays we are at home unless we are babysitting. We normally watch Jools Holland if we can stay awake long enough.

merlotgran Sun 15-Dec-19 22:53:31

We've never been all that keen on NYE. It's too close to Christmas so I cook a nice meal and we watch some saved up telly programmes, drink wine and watch Jools Holland to see in the NY.

Grannyknot Sun 15-Dec-19 22:48:49

I'm with dragonfly smile

dragonfly46 Sun 15-Dec-19 22:42:57

I will be going to bed early. Even as a teenager I found NYE an overrated event.